PDA

View Full Version : Need to replace a zune

card_ace
April 3rd, 2009, 03:06 PM
I know i know, why in the world did i get a microsoft zune? i just started using ubuntu this year and i've had it since christmas 2 years ago. i loved it for a long time, but lack of linux support is pushing me away. i was going to just keep a windows partition just for that but turns out i can't even install the software without internet access (which i don't have on that system). This is just going to drive me insane so i'd like a replacement so i can finally ditch windows. any suggestions for replacements? i've been considering an ipod as my friends are all happy with them, but none of them have even heard of linux . . . .

i'd prefer at least 30 gigs as thats what my zune was. able to play music and videos. and all of my music is mp3 so the formats don't matter that much.

thanks

Mehall
April 3rd, 2009, 03:11 PM
I have a Creative Zen Vision:M

It uses the MTP protocol, and libmtp or whatever it's called is pretty good.

Gnomad2, Amarok and Rhythmbox all support libmtp (or w/e) and I think Exaile might too.

Something like that, or even just a drag-and-drop player would be fine.

So no iPod and no Zune. Look 3rd Party

card_ace
April 3rd, 2009, 03:21 PM
i had a creative zen before i got my zune. my headphone port suddenly went out on me. after some playing i figured out i could still use it only if i pulled the headphone plug in one direction while listening to it. i'm a bit wary (or however you spell it) of going there again. maybe it was a fluke?

Simian Man
April 3rd, 2009, 03:27 PM
Ipod support on Linux is actually not bad so long as you don't get a Touch. I use a 4th gen nano and it works in most players.

card_ace
April 3rd, 2009, 03:33 PM
Ipod support on Linux is actually not bad so long as you don't get a Touch. I use a 4th gen nano and it works in most players.

thanks. i've heard rumors that you have to tweak some things to make ipods work, but i don't have a clue what. i'm considering an ipod classic 120 gig. any foreseeable problems?

billgoldberg
April 3rd, 2009, 03:56 PM
I suggest you get a Cowon model.

Great Linux support, great features.

http://www.cowonglobal.com/

gnomeuser
April 3rd, 2009, 07:32 PM
If you want a good player that supports open standards the Sansa Fuze is excellent. The MicroSD card functionality should help with the space constraints.

Do not get an iPod, that would be supporting a company that abuses it's monopoly to lock out other vendors from interacting with the hardware. Forcing users to use iTunes and as more and more iPods go the way of the iPod Touch and iPhone you will also have absolutely no support under Linux. Even support as it stands for other models is riddled with holes and suboptimal behavior. This is largely because the protocol for talking to iPods is not open and we have to carefully reverse engineer it. Apple intentionally enstates new updates which add features that exist solely to make it hard for 3rd parties to make compatible software, such as the crypto hash applied to the database for the Classic players.

Please consider supporting companys like Sandisk who actually support open formats such as Ogg Vorbis and FLAC as well as open standards like MSC and MTP. It makes interacting with the player much easier and far less error prone.

card_ace
April 6th, 2009, 02:31 PM
thanks for all the replies. all sound like good ideas. looks like there are a lot more players that can have linux support than i thought. due to a major cash shortage at the moment i think i'll do some more research before i go buy something.

Ericyzfr1
April 6th, 2009, 02:52 PM
thanks. i've heard rumors that you have to tweak some things to make ipods work, but i don't have a clue what. i'm considering an ipod classic 120 gig. any foreseeable problems?

It happened I got one this past week-end, for music/videos/Podcasts Banshee is handling them without a problem. Do not allow itunes to update the device or rebuild the database.
For pictures, use Gtkpod, it takes a couple of steps to transfer your pictures.