PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] KDE not working after login, black and white

TropheusJon
April 3rd, 2009, 01:16 PM
Hello,

I'm a newbie. I've been using Kubuntu for a few months. Today I tried to boot it up, after I login, it showed the usual KDE startup screen with the icons, then it turned black and white. You can see the windows from the previous session as black or white or gray rectangles but nothing inside them. I tried to use recover mode to fix broken packages and restart xserver, didn't work. I also booted with a empty session and yet it didn't work. Failsafe doesn't work as well. It gave me an error message when I tried to use it.

Running Kubuntu 8.10 64bit, Q6600, HD4870.

I'm using Vista right now thanks to dual boot so the videocard itself is working.

Please help!
Thanks!
Jon

TropheusJon
April 3rd, 2009, 01:21 PM
I'm running compiz, not sure if thats a problem. I did do an update but I forgot what it was totally. If disabling it might help I don't know the console commands, lol.

Thanks.

Tobi-fp
April 3rd, 2009, 01:23 PM
compiz is the proplem, i had the exact same problem.. There is a way to work around this, but i cant remember exactly how..
I bet you are using a intel gma graphics adapter, right?

anyways, you should try finding a work around googling the net for intel compiz problem

TropheusJon
April 3rd, 2009, 06:50 PM
Does anyone know the command to disable or uninstall compiz from the kernel?

Thanks

TropheusJon
April 4th, 2009, 04:05 AM
Hi,

I just attempted to remove compiz in recovery mode in the kernel. I did sudo apt-get remove compiz*. It did a bunch of things, I then chose the attempt to fix x-server option again then did the normal boot. Still it goes to the black screen after the last boot-up icon appears after I logged in to KDE.

Please help.

Thanks in advance.

Giblet5
April 4th, 2009, 04:17 AM
You can still log out by doing Ctrl-Alt-Backspace.

The do Ctrl-Alt-F1 to flip over to the text console.

Do the following:

mkdir DotFiles
mv .kde DotFiles
mv .gnome* DotFiles
mv .gconf* DotFiles

Log off.

Do Ctrl-Alt-F7 to flip back to the greeter.

This will make everything the default, but all of your good stuff is still safe in that DotFiles directory.

That will get you running.

TropheusJon
April 4th, 2009, 05:07 AM
It worked! I can log back in now, thanks a bunch!:popcorn:

Giblet5
April 4th, 2009, 05:10 AM
It worked! I can log back in now, thanks a bunch!:popcorn:

Great!

Remember that any settings (email accounts, IM accounts, etc) all have to either be copied from the DotFiles directory, or re-entered manually.

Enjoy