PDA

View Full Version : Linux game console ready to ship

mips
April 3rd, 2009, 01:07 PM
http://www.linuxdevices.com/news/NS5134160105.html
www.envizionscorp.com

mips
April 3rd, 2009, 01:09 PM
Looks pricey. Must do a home build pricing with same specs and see what it comes to.

ELD
April 3rd, 2009, 01:11 PM
Hmm not much to look at really is it.
And it looks like they got the specs completely wrong, they say it is quad core and then say it's built on the "Athlon 64x2 5600"....that is dual core.

billgoldberg
April 3rd, 2009, 01:41 PM
While it's great to see Open Source consoles, this will only have a small niche in the console market.

If I had money too much, I would buy one just for the geek factor, but I don't.

The games are the ones we all know, so you don't need the console to play it.

Could make a decent home theater pc.

aeiah
April 3rd, 2009, 02:53 PM
it seems like this will fall flat on it's face. why are they marketing it as a games console? it looks like they'll do better selling it as a multimedia centre with games than a games console that can play movies

Polygon
April 3rd, 2009, 03:21 PM
yay! i can play all the generic deathmatch clones on a dedicated console now!

It will never take off in any form unless some real games get written for it.

wildman4god
April 3rd, 2009, 04:16 PM

It will never take off in any form unless some real games get written for it.

well they do have their own game engine for it and they are planning on making some games for the console and available through their cloud service, and you can virtualize windows so you can play PC games.

Also Pandora is launching soon and any open source game made for it can also me ported to the evo.

Edit: Also remember that steam is supposed to be ported to Linux, which will bring over a thousand games to the Linux platform.

forrestcupp
April 3rd, 2009, 04:23 PM
I don't get it. Linux is known for not being good for gaming. It's not that Linux isn't capable, but that people just can't write commercial quality games in their spare time for free.

The people that actually give a rat's behind about open source stuff already have Linux and all these games installed on their computers. It's easier to play a FPS with a mouse and keyboard than it is a gamepad.

And the people who don't give a crud about open source wouldn't touch something like that.

Still, it was a good find, though. ;)

:lol:
That's exactly what I was thinking.

Polygon
April 3rd, 2009, 06:02 PM
well they do have their own game engine for it and they are planning on making some games for the console and available through their cloud service, and you can virtualize windows so you can play PC games.

Also Pandora is launching soon and any open source game made for it can also me ported to the evo.

Edit: Also remember that steam is supposed to be ported to Linux, which will bring over a thousand games to the Linux platform.

just the fact that steam gets ported doesn't mean that all games that are delivered through steam automatically work on linux, steam is just the program that manages all of them.

Kingsley
April 3rd, 2009, 07:02 PM
hmm
$380 for what's basically a mid-spec Linux desktop with a controller or... $400 for a PS3?
hmm, choices.

swoll1980
April 3rd, 2009, 07:13 PM
This thing has Epic Fail written all over it.

wildman4god
April 3rd, 2009, 11:36 PM
just the fact that steam gets ported doesn't mean that all games that are delivered through steam automatically work on linux, steam is just the program that manages all of them.

Well when they run steam on wine (which works perfectly except the community part) all steam games run on linux then, steam is an engine that the games run on, like the quake engine used to run a few FPS.

tjwoosta
April 4th, 2009, 12:00 AM
it has both windows and linux versions?

whos actually going to buy the linux version for gaming?

wildman4god
April 4th, 2009, 12:06 AM
it has both windows and linux versions?

whos actually going to buy the linux version for gaming?

The windows version is still Linux, it just has windows virtualized so you can run PC games, however thats not it's intention, they are planning on making their own games for it as well as try and get people to develop for it, they are providing a way for people to sell their games on the platform, which may help getting people to develop. more people are willing to invest time and energy in a good game if they can make some money off from their hard work or even build a business around it. The system was not made to play existing games other than Linux games. I think something like this is whats needed to see more games get developed for Linux.

forrestcupp
April 4th, 2009, 12:06 AM
Well when they run steam on wine (which works perfectly except the community part) all steam games run on linux then, steam is an engine that the games run on, like the quake engine used to run a few FPS.

But a lot of times it takes tweaking. The whole point in buying a console is that they just work without having to do anything but turn it on and put the game in.

I don't want to buy a console so I can plug in a keyboard and mouse and try to set up wine on it to hopefully be able to run a game that was made for some other platform and it not even work as well as it should. Especially when wine usually only works decent with last gen or older PC-only games. The whole idea is pretty ridiculous.

And Steam is not the game engine. A lot of those games run on the Source engine.

wildman4god
April 4th, 2009, 12:09 AM
But a lot of times it takes tweaking. The whole point in buying a console is that they just work without having to do anything but turn it on and put the game in.

I don't want to buy a console so I can plug in a keyboard and mouse and try to set up wine on it to hopefully be able to run a game that was made for some other platform and it not even work as well as it should. Especially when wine usually only works decent with last gen or older PC-only games. The whole idea is pretty ridiculous.

And Steam is not the game engine. A lot of those games run on the Source engine.

Point is, valve wouldn't be porting their steam engine to Linux and/or mac unless it was intent on having the games available for them, so my first comment stands if steam gets ported to Linux, Linux will have a lot more commercial and sometimes main stream games available.

forrestcupp
April 4th, 2009, 03:03 PM
Point is, valve wouldn't be porting their steam engine to Linux and/or mac unless it was intent on having the games available for them, so my first comment stands if steam gets ported to Linux, Linux will have a lot more commercial and sometimes main stream games available.

That's a valid point, and I hope you're right about that. But it still doesn't apply to consoles. It would be a great boost for Linux on the desktop, but that's not what consoles are all about. Consoles are all about simplicity and not having to work at being able to play games.

But anyway, it looks like the whole thing about Steam being ported to Linux is nothing but speculation. I haven't seen any real evidence other than a bunch of people speculating. I did see where they're working on a software-only port to the Source engine.

KCG102282
April 4th, 2009, 03:06 PM
I it was Debian based I would give it a look, but since it is RPM based I will pass!

chris200x9
April 4th, 2009, 03:36 PM
I it was Debian based I would give it a look, but since it is RPM based I will pass!

sorry I'm not getting mad at you personally but

<rant>

why does everyone at every chance they get bring up how rpm is so much inferior?! I don't bring up how .deb is infior to pacman or portaget etc. Also what is the problem with rpm I've had no problems with rpm?

</rant>

sorry again

forrestcupp
April 4th, 2009, 06:09 PM
sorry I'm not getting mad at you personally but

<rant>

why does everyone at every chance they get bring up how rpm is so much inferior?! I don't bring up how .deb is infior to pacman or portaget etc. Also what is the problem with rpm I've had no problems with rpm?

</rant>

sorry again

It may just be his preference. A lot of other people prefer rpm's. Who really cares what people prefer? But doesn't it make sense that a lot of people on the Ubuntu forums would prefer deb's?

Also, I wonder what you would think if I said that I would check it out if it was .exe based.

ELD
April 4th, 2009, 06:11 PM
It may just be his preference. A lot of other people prefer rpm's. Who really cares what people prefer? But doesn't it make sense that a lot of people on the Ubuntu forums would prefer deb's?

Also, I wonder what you would think if I said that I would check it out if it was .exe based.

Hed probably have a fit? lol.

But yeah to go off on one about people not liking rpm based linux on a forum dedicated to a deb distro is pretty dumb imo.

Mason Whitaker
April 4th, 2009, 06:43 PM
It looks cheaper to just run a Linux distro on your PS3 and play your Linux games on there :/