PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Having an issue and can't figure it out

jdelon02
April 3rd, 2009, 12:26 PM
Hello, I am new to Ubuntu, but am having fun learning about it. I have got everything working that I have tried to install except for one thing. I have an Nvidia GEForce 5200 video card. It has 3 outputs; a VGA, a DVI that does NOT have the four pins surrounding the flat pin, and an S-video out. I am trying to run either DVI output or VGA output to my stereo and then to the projector. My stereo is an Onkyo with pass-through HDMI which I cannot use because the projector does not have an HDMI input. I currently run component cables from the DVD player, the Wii, and the Digital cable box into the stereo, and then run a component cable out of the stereo that has a VGA connection on the other end that goes into the projector. Running S-Video gives me only black and white because the stereo does not convert the signal to the component output.

I am trying to run either DVI or VGA output into the stereo, but the signal from the computer has to be converted into component (YPbPr) signal. I have tried doing this in xorg.conf, but have so far had no luck. Here is my xorg.conf file:

# nvidia-settings: X configuration file generated by nvidia-settings
# nvidia-settings: version 1.0 (buildd@palmer) Mon Nov 3 08:46:46 UTC 2008

# xorg.conf (X.Org X Window System server configuration file)
#
# VGA MONITOR

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Layout0"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "Xinerama" "0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "VGA"
VendorName "Dell"
ModelName "DELL M992"
HorizSync 30.0 - 96.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 160.0
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "S-Vid"
VendorName "Unknown"
ModelName "TV-0"
HorizSync 28.0 - 33.0
VertRefresh 43.0 - 72.0
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "VGA"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce FX 5200"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "S-Vid"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce FX 5200"
BusID "PCI:1:0:0"
Screen 1
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "VGA"
Monitor "VGA"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "1"
Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "CRT-0"
Option "metamodes" "CRT: 800x600 +0+0, TV: 800x600 +0+0; CRT: 1024x768 +0+0, TV: NULL"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen1"
Device "S-Vid"
Monitor "S-Vid"
DefaultDepth 24
Option "TwinView" "0"
Option "metamodes" "TV: 800x600 +0+0"
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
EndSection

I have the VGA hooked up to an old dell monitor right now, because I can't get it to run...

Basically, I think that I need the proper configuration for 1) component output through VGA, and 2) converting that signal to component output before the signal goes out.

I am not sure that this is even possible, but it was the main reason I chose to use Ubuntu for this machine (making an HTPC that will play my Divx Dvd's at the resolution that they are burned in - since all DVD players only upconvert through HDMI.)

Thanks,

Jdelon02