PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Noob raid install on 4 discs How-To Plz

redfiveuk
April 3rd, 2009, 11:55 AM
Hi All,
spent the last 2 nights trying to get my onboard raid 5 recognised by unbuntu 8.10 x64 server with no luck, it detects the SATA RAID but after it loads the driver it cant see any discs to format and after I reboot the raid is broken, this is on an ASUS m3n78 pro. I went to bed with the live 9.04 Cd downloading last night. Tonight I want to try and setup a ubuntu 4 disk raid 5 array via the live 9.04 cd but I have never done this before and can only find info on a 2 disc raid 0 or 1. If anyone can point me in the right direction I would be most grateful. I have been using ubuntu for a couple of months and have limited Linux knowledge so consider myself a total noob at raid 5 on ubuntu.

Regards
Red

ronparent
April 3rd, 2009, 01:58 PM
This is lame, but I have only limited experience with raid0 and raid1. You may want to research dmraid and mdadm. The latter (which I haven't used) may be the more promising to permanently assemble your raid5 array. You probably could best assemble prior to upgrading and then upgrade to a working array. Can anyone verify or elaborate? Bump

ronparent
April 3rd, 2009, 04:18 PM
You may find this thread informative http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1051509&highlight=raid0

Also it is located in the server platform forum where you might get a better response for this type issue.