PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard or Mouse User

Lunx
April 3rd, 2009, 10:41 AM
So are you a keyboard user, a mouse user, or happy to use both depending on the task to hand? Would you use the keyboard more only if you knew and could remember the shortcuts? Found any obsure uses for either that allow you to get stuff done faster?

Eisenwinter
April 3rd, 2009, 10:52 AM
I usually prefer to use the keyboard, it's faster in many areas.

But, I don't hate using the mouse, and I do use it a lot also.

Some things are easier with the keyboard, some are easier with the mouse, but overall, for me, keyboard is the faster way.

Praxicoide
April 3rd, 2009, 10:57 AM
I would love to use the keyboard more, but unfortunately it's hard to lose the mouse clicking habit. I learn a shortcut, but then start using the mouse anyways, and then forget the shortcut.

era86
April 3rd, 2009, 11:05 AM
Honestly, a trackpoint and keyboard is perfect. Hands hardly ever move!

Mason Whitaker
April 3rd, 2009, 12:02 PM
Honestly, I've become more comfortable with the command line ( which I have start on login ) so it may be five or ten minutes after I login before I even touch my mouse/trackpad.

.Maleficus.
April 3rd, 2009, 12:05 PM
For web browsing I usually have one hand on each but otherwise, being a dwm user, for everything else it's the keyboard.

RandomJoe
April 3rd, 2009, 12:06 PM
Depends on my mood as well as what I'm doing. If I need to use the keyboard anyway, I'd much prefer to keep using it. Shortcuts are nice, IF they are included! Unfortunately, at work some of the software I have to use has been progressively dropping more and more shortcuts as the revisions come out...

But if I'm doing something that doesn't require much (or any) text entry, especially if I'm in my "lazy browsing" mood, mouse (or actually trackball) all the way! I'll lean back in the chair, prop my feet on the desk, and set the trackball on the edge of the desk. Then I can do everything with just a little movement of my fingers! I'll even get annoyed if I go to a forum that has "forgotten" my login, making me sit back up to type in username/password.

Lunx
April 3rd, 2009, 12:24 PM
I would love to use the keyboard more, but unfortunately it's hard to lose the mouse clicking habit. I learn a shortcut, but then start using the mouse anyways, and then forget the shortcut.

I'm the same, old habits die hard. Also have the problem of occasionally using wrong shortcut in wrong app and get some interesting results sometimes...

73ckn797
April 3rd, 2009, 12:27 PM
I usually prefer to use the keyboard, it's faster in many areas.

But, I don't hate using the mouse, and I do use it a lot also.

Some things are easier with the keyboard, some are easier with the mouse, but overall, for me, keyboard is the faster way.

+1
My sentiments exactly!

More keyboard use on the laptop, however.

nothingspecial
April 3rd, 2009, 12:44 PM
Keyboard all most exclusively. This only came about because the trackpad thingy was doing my head in so much (I kept touching it by mistake) that I turned it off and made it a priority to learn.

I`ve turned it back on again of course because there are some things it faster for, but not many.

Thinking of this though despite knowing loads of shortcuts I couldn`t tell you all of them if I was away from the keyboard. If you use them enough it kind of becomes subconscious.

Trouble is I`m forever doing the wrong one and closing things before I`m finished etc

binbash
April 3rd, 2009, 12:56 PM
Keyboard at doing most stuff.Old school is faster :)

gn2
April 3rd, 2009, 01:04 PM
My mouse doesn't do much in the terminal, is this normal?

Lunx
April 3rd, 2009, 01:20 PM
My mouse doesn't do much in the terminal, is this normal?

:lolflag:

Well said

aeiah
April 3rd, 2009, 02:06 PM
a lot of my pc usage time at home is just spent watching movies or listening to music. my pc is plugged into my HDTV so i usually sit on the sofa with my mouse on my knee. if im doing anything useful then i prefer using the keyboard where i can of course.

on my acer aspire one i use the keyboard almost all the time. im not a very big fan of laptop trackpads.

MikeTheC
April 3rd, 2009, 05:33 PM
Yes.

Dekkon
April 3rd, 2009, 06:02 PM
I type documents with a keybored, and use the mouse to surf the web, certainly wouldn't be productive to swap the two.

smartboyathome
April 3rd, 2009, 06:09 PM
Mouse user. I can't seem to make myself use many keyboard shortcuts. :(