PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Multi boot question

slammed87d21
April 3rd, 2009, 05:11 AM
Is it possible to triple boot 3 diff Linux distros? I'm wanting to run Elive Gem, Linux Mint, and Ubuntu since I use my laptop to show off Linux when I do installs for diff people. I've dual booted before, but never tried to triple boot, so I was wondering which to install first, or if it's even possible. Any help would be appreciated since I'm redownloading Ubuntu and Linux Mint right now.

Lunx
April 3rd, 2009, 05:16 AM
Is it possible to triple boot 3 diff Linux distros? I'm wanting to run Elive Gem, Linux Mint, and Ubuntu since I use my laptop to show off Linux when I do installs for diff people. I've dual booted before, but never tried to triple boot, so I was wondering which to install first, or if it's even possible. Any help would be appreciated since I'm redownloading Ubuntu and Linux Mint right now.

Can't see why not, I'm a real luddite when it comes to partioning, but I'm sure I read somewhere you can create 4 partions on a HDD, and there is another method you can use if you need to create more (but no idea how you go about it. I'm sure someone will turn up with details on how to do this)

slammed87d21
April 3rd, 2009, 05:31 AM
Does it matter which OS I install first?

Lunx
April 3rd, 2009, 09:00 AM
Does it matter which OS I install first?

Not sure it matters as long as grub gets organised properly by the installers. Which OS are you using ATM? I guess if you installed Ubuntu, then you'd be familiar with the installer and this may be a good option to use last to create the third partion as I guess it will recognise the others and allow you to resize them to suit. Gparted will also allow you to do all this, but as I've not used it myself I wouldn't like to offer any suggestions on how to go about it.