PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu with XP without dual boot

aw9018
April 3rd, 2009, 03:21 AM
Is this possible and, if so, how can I go about doing this? I have an XP Home PC (P3 512MB Ram), with 2 HDs, 160GB and 250GB. The 250 is a slave used for storage of music, pics, videos and docs, and has 60GB of unused space. I would like ubuntu 8.10 to reside there but a previous attempt to install a linux OS for a dual boot setup resulted in niether OS being bootable and I ultimately had to reinstall XP, which was very unpleasant. I do not want to risk a reoccurrence of this. Is there some way I can have all the ubuntu files on the unused space and have it be bootable on demand such as via a removeable disk, either CD or floppy, or by some other means. I guess what I'm asking is whether it is possible to have ubuntu on the 250 HD without altering the MBR of the first HD. I am a windows only user thus far so please make any assistance be of the "step by step" variety and graphical whenever possible. Thanks to anyone who could help.

ninjapirate89
April 3rd, 2009, 03:26 AM
Check to see if this is what you are needing. http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=179902
Sorry for so many edits but I wanted to make sure the info I was giving is what you needed.