PDA

View Full Version : [gnome] Windows hiding behind gnome-panel, refusing to move

doctor.dan
April 3rd, 2009, 01:24 AM
Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to Ubuntu and Linux in general. Since updating 8.10 to 9.04 beta, most applications have started to hide behind the gnome-panel.

For example, if I start Terminal, the top of the window where File, Edit, View, etc reside, is hidden behind the gnome panel. If I right-click the terminal tab in the bottom panel and choose "move", it won't let me move the window anywhere. The only way around this is to maximise the window and keep it maximised (unmaximising takes it back to the top left corner, under the gnome panel).

Anybody know how to fix this?

bedhead75
April 3rd, 2009, 01:56 AM
Hold down 'alt' and click anywhere on the window to grab and move it.

doctor.dan
April 3rd, 2009, 04:11 AM
Hold down 'alt' and click anywhere on the window to grab and move it.

Doesn't do anything, any other ideas?

stderr
April 3rd, 2009, 05:53 AM
I think one of the compiz plugins buggers up placement in a similar fashion, if I recall. But this was a while ago; certainly not Jaunty, so probably isn't the same. Plus I haven't got Ubuntu running ATM, so can't direct you perfectly.

But if you're using Compiz, try launching CCSM and perhaps try deselecting a couple of the plugins near the bottom of the list - called something like smart window placement, or snapping windows, or something. If it doesn't help, you can just re-enable them afterwards.

Alt to move a window can be enabled somewhere in System->Preferences->... uhm.. one of the options near or at the bottom. "Window" maybe? I can't recall