PDA

View Full Version : 9.04 Leads to RAM Upgrade

dburnett77
April 3rd, 2009, 12:54 AM
Well, my Pentium D 915 at dual processor speed of 2.8 GHz, and 1GB RAM wouldn't suffice with the newer Jaunty.
Yes, had to slap in a 2GB module at 667MHz in order to use the newer Ubuntu efficiently.
All is not lost, though. I can fire up windows left and right, no degrerdation.

Mehall
April 3rd, 2009, 12:57 AM
Crunchbang!

I DO think that, even if Ubuntu isn;t becoming bloated itself, it tries to do too much.

Crunchbang comes with a lot of programs (unless you use the Lite edition) but it runs leanly.

granted, I'm using it on 2GB of ram just now, but I don't see THAT much of a performace drop using it on an AMD XP 2000+ with 256MB ram (granted, I see SOME slowing due to the ram, but that's due to be upgraded any time now.)

EDIT: But I suppose if you really like Gnome and have the cash for an extra gig of Ram, it's an okay investment.

cardinals_fan
April 3rd, 2009, 01:02 AM
What?! Why should automation require bloat?

BGFG
April 3rd, 2009, 02:04 AM
To save resources try BUM - Boot Up Manager. But i find it difficult to believe mem usage went beyond a gig. Of course i have no idea what you are doing with your machine so glad it worked out anyway :)

inobe
April 3rd, 2009, 02:08 AM
Well, my Pentium D 915 at dual processor speed of 2.8 GHz, and 1GB RAM wouldn't suffice with the newer Jaunty.
Yes, had to slap in a 2GB module at 667MHz in order to use the newer Ubuntu efficiently.

premature judgement on a beta ?

marshallladd
April 3rd, 2009, 02:09 AM
I'm pretty new to Ubuntu and Linux in general but I am runnin 9.04 on my netbook with only one gig of ram with no problems at all.

inobe
April 3rd, 2009, 02:24 AM
i think more exploration is due on the user end !

software testing (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Software_testing)

beta (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beta_release#Beta)

understanding the process and the meaning, notice LTS as well (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ubuntu#Releases)

one of the things i live by is understanding the very software i install on "my computer"

in fact' i learned how to build a computer before installing software, it's how i know what's best for "me"

anyone else' to each their own :p

edit: to add, known issues with the beta/alpha http://www.ubuntulinux.org/testing/jaunty/beta#Known%20issues found right on the main download page !

a forum search on jaunty http://ubuntuforums.org/search.php?searchid=57443919

a google search on jaunty issues http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&rls=com.ubuntu%3Aen-US%3Aunofficial&hs=aeY&q=9.04+jaunty+issues&btnG=Search

Bölvağur
April 3rd, 2009, 02:51 AM
I'm pretty new to Ubuntu and Linux in general but I am runnin 9.04 on my netbook with only one gig of ram with no problems at all.

Whow it is amazing if you are running with out ANY problems. I've done 2 installations and both had problems, one was pretty severe and will be difficult to point out what is to blame as the impact affects what I see in the repos, it murdered my nautilus.. well when I come to think about it... those can be many small problems, oh well I'll tackle it tomorrow.

dbbolton
April 3rd, 2009, 03:25 AM
I think you should blame your DE before your distro.

Giant Speck
April 3rd, 2009, 03:33 AM
What?!? Operating systems get bloated with each subsequent release?!? Get out!

Mr. Picklesworth
April 3rd, 2009, 03:36 AM
I've found that this release freed up a lot of RAM for me. Did you upgrade with update-manager (I did) or install freshly?

Do you run any search indexers? Maybe one of them has a bug in it; they've gotten a bit less popular with this release since (as far as I can tell) there's nothing installed by default in that respect.

With regards to my own memory freedom, it may be related to giving up Beagle (a tough decision), but I suspect there is more than that alone to have freed an average of 200 MB of memory on my (previously horrendously bloated) system :/

armageddon08
April 3rd, 2009, 03:50 AM

Yes, Windows does.

lisati
April 3rd, 2009, 04:02 AM
Yes, Windows does.

One of my machines runs Windows 98: I might be in with a chance with a minimal XP install (if I'm really lucky) but wouldn't want to try Vista on it.

cl333r
April 3rd, 2009, 04:15 AM
XP is worth trying, but unless you have windows specific programs xfce would fit even better. Latest version of xfce (which is already in Jaunty) has made a big leap forward in usability.

cardinals_fan
April 3rd, 2009, 04:50 AM
I see no reason this should happen...

Giant Speck
April 3rd, 2009, 05:15 AM
I see no reason this should happen...

Neither do I, but it does happen, hence my joke.

JECHO
April 3rd, 2009, 05:31 AM

same here.... lol youre not telling us something.

Kareeser
April 3rd, 2009, 06:08 AM
Echo'd.

1.8 GHz with 1 GB RAM, jaunty runs nice and slick. :)

MikeTheC
April 3rd, 2009, 06:22 AM
... Film at 11:00.

rudihawk
April 3rd, 2009, 06:43 AM
Whow it is amazing if you are running with out ANY problems. I've done 2 installations and both had problems, one was pretty severe and will be difficult to point out what is to blame as the impact affects what I see in the repos, it murdered my nautilus.. well when I come to think about it... those can be many small problems, oh well I'll tackle it tomorrow.

My 64bit Beta is runnning with no problems :) infact I think it is more stable than my 8.10 installation ever was:guitar:

wolfen69
April 3rd, 2009, 07:51 AM
My 64bit Beta is runnning with no problems :) infact I think it is more stable than my 8.10 installation ever was:guitar:

agreed.

with virtualbox i use 2.3gb of ram sometimes. so what. it means i'm using my computer and getting alot out of it. i do compiz, bittorrent, tv/pvr, firefox, cd burning, virtualbox, and irc all at the same time without breaking a sweat. ram is there to use. plus, it's very cheap now. get with the times already. geez, some of you will be crying about using 256ram 10 yrs from now, while the rest of us will move on and enjoy capable machines.

and i don't need to hear it from the peanut gallery (cardinals_fan)

toupeiro
April 3rd, 2009, 08:07 AM
I've actually noticed an overall reduction of average memory utilisation by about 60-70MB... Running Jaunty 64-bit beta..

s.fox
April 3rd, 2009, 08:55 AM
I am hearing mixed messages. ;)

I am slightly worried that I may need another stick of RAM :(

Does anybody know where I can find he minimum specification requirements? Or are they not out yet as Jaunty is still beta?

-Thanks

Johnsie
April 3rd, 2009, 09:11 AM
I'm holding out until the equivalent of service pack 1 is released. Judging the applications at this stage is a little premature. It's better to send feedback to launchpad letting them know of your woes.

I've alpha/beta tested every release since Breezy was released so I decided to sit this one out.

ps. I wish people would stop confusing the application level software with the operating system level software.

coutts99
April 3rd, 2009, 10:21 AM
I've a machine with 768mb running Jaunty, and performance is acceptable.

dburnett77
April 3rd, 2009, 04:24 PM

I've tried every Ubuntu beta since Fiesty, around 6.0n.
It's standard that as newer features are implemented, you need more resources.

The difference isn't staggering, but makes computer usage tolerable.

The main bottle-neck I face is graphics, were my Nvidia 8400GS could probably use an upgrade, but I don't use flashy interface much.

But, it's standard, according to one of Moors' Laws.

Kareeser
April 3rd, 2009, 05:29 PM
Moore's Law? That's the one that states that every two years, processing power doubles.

It says nothing about software bloat, although that is a legitimate extrapolation :)

Polygon
April 3rd, 2009, 05:57 PM
http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/3223/screenshot001hmh.th.png (http://img25.imageshack.us/img25/3223/screenshot001hmh.png)

funny, thats me running firefox, deluge, vlc playing a movie, pidgin, gwibber, AND ripping a dvd with handbrake....all while running compiz as well.

and im only using 600 mb of RAM.

if its sluggish, i suggest something else is the problem You can run ubuntu fine with just a gig, as i am demonstrating here (even though i have a lot more).

(and yes i am using jaunty)

wolfen69
April 3rd, 2009, 06:11 PM
if its sluggish, i suggest something else is the problem You can run ubuntu fine with just a gig, as i am demonstrating here (even though i have a lot more).

(and yes i am using jaunty)

i agree. if you can not run jaunty with 1gb ram, something else is the issue.

i'm using jaunty 64bit, and with several apps running, am only using 670mb. and 64bit uses more memory than 32bit.

i personally would not care if half my memory was being used. it is used for a reason. proper use of memory speeds up things. 1 reason why i went to 64bit. i am not a memory miser like some people.

i thinks it's funny that some people will get pc's with 2-4gb memory, then try and use as little as possible. that is defeating the purpose of having it.

if you have 256-512 ram, consider getting more, or use a distro more suited to your 90's lifestyle. but don't complain when your antique pc can't hang with the big boys. tech moves forward, jump on board or be left behind.

Sephoroth
April 3rd, 2009, 06:19 PM
What exactly would be a source of making it consume needlessly large amounts of memory? This doesn't really affect me personally as I upgraded to 4 GB a while ago(not a bad deal for $25 USD) but it isn't a good sign if performance noticeably decreases without major feature count increases. What exactly were you doing when you noticed degredation? I.e. any sort of memory intensive tasks?

...And just to make sure, you aren't comparing a 64 bit release to a 32 bit release are you?

andrewabc
April 3rd, 2009, 08:13 PM
You don't need more than 1gb of ram to run jaunty (or any ubuntu) normally.

But the more ram the better. I have 3gb.
conky says I am using 385mb ram (shortly after startup with 3 apps open)
Preload is readaheading 3100 files, using 500mb of ram, with 1.86gb available for preloading.

swoll1980
April 3rd, 2009, 08:48 PM
I have to call bs on this one. I have 1 GiB, and it runs fine. As a matter of fact I've got a thread floating around here somewhere in which I had opened every program installed on a default setup at the same time, and it didn't even use 600 MiB. I would issue a challenge for some to produce a screener of Ubuntu using 1 GiB of RAM w/o running a virtual machine of course.

Mehall
April 3rd, 2009, 09:13 PM
I have to call bs on this one. I have 1 GiB, and it runs fine. As a matter of fact I've got a thread floating around here somewhere in which I had opened every program installed on a default setup at the same time, and it didn't even use 600 MiB. I would issue a challenge for some to produce a screener of Ubuntu using 1 GiB of RAM w/o running a virtual machine of course.

It took me around 2days of constant use to get my system over 1GB of RAM used, and I have 2GB in my computer (of course, that doesn't count ram chaced, that's only what was showing in Conky, and that said something like 1.25GB)

That said, killing Firefox saved 300MB and killing Steam + wineserver saved another 200MB or something.

Overall killing those two dropped it to 600MB, then suddenly to 445MB ;)

Using Crunchbang not Gnome-buntu, but still [=

dburnett77
April 4th, 2009, 12:07 AM
I can run Jaunty just fine with 1GB. Performance, however, is diminished.

The transition from Ubuntu 6.nn to 7.nn caused me to upgrade from 512MB to 1GB. It's expected.

I'm not a windows advocate, as the 2GM mark is the minimum for usage. I'm quite pleased with performance and expect to gain another 6 months usage with my setup.

I've noted alot of you with smaller ram capacities tend to have somewhat higher-performance CPU's, I'd speculate.

Mine is not a true dual core. Although there are 2 CPU's on the same die. It's not a duo core. But, rather a Pentium D. Strains, especially at ripping CD's and photo handling. The RAM was the cheaper alternative rather than getting a duo core Pentium.

swoll1980
April 4th, 2009, 12:13 AM
I can run Jaunty just fine with 1GB. Performance, however, is diminished.

The transition from Ubuntu 6.nn to 7.nn caused me to upgrade from 512MB to 1GB. It's expected.

I'm not a windows advocate, as the 2GM mark is the minimum for usage. I'm quite pleased with performance and expect to gain another 6 months usage with my setup.

I've noted alot of you with smaller ram capacities tend to have somewhat higher-performance CPU's, I'd speculate.

Mine is not a true dual core. Although there are 2 CPU's on the same die. It's not a duo core. But, rather a Pentium D. Strains, especially at ripping CD's and photo handling. The RAM was the cheaper alternative rather than getting a duo core Pentium.

I have a p4, and it runs really fast. I don't see how performance is diminished with 1 GiB RAM. I bet your only using 500 MiB at the most. Check your monitor. Right now I'm using 221 MiB. Check out this thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1083189)every app opened at the same time.

cardinals_fan
April 4th, 2009, 12:26 AM
agreed.

with virtualbox i use 2.3gb of ram sometimes. so what. it means i'm using my computer and getting alot out of it. i do compiz, bittorrent, tv/pvr, firefox, cd burning, virtualbox, and irc all at the same time without breaking a sweat. ram is there to use. plus, it's very cheap now. get with the times already. geez, some of you will be crying about using 256ram 10 yrs from now, while the rest of us will move on and enjoy capable machines.

and i don't need to hear it from the peanut gallery (cardinals_fan)
Hey, the gallery is a nice place :)

I see nothing wrong with you buying and using more RAM than me. But there is a difference between finding these "features" useful yourself and expecting that everyone else also want them enough to upgrade their hardware. RAM may be cheap, but there's no real reason to buy it.

I'm not going to whine about some heavy apps such as Firefox, virtualization apps, and the GIMP. I do not expect everyone else to live by my minimalistic standards - everyone has their own needs. This is precisely the problem with very bloated defaults - they create a definite cutoff. Those who want to use all their 8 GB of RAM can easily add software, but there are problems when the default install CD can't boot on an older machine.

My issue is with GNOME and many of the tools used by Ubuntu and other major distros. The fact is that automation and out-of-the-box functionality can be quite simple and light. An LXDE system can do just about everything GNOME can with no more work and far less resource usage.

albinootje
April 4th, 2009, 12:33 AM

You're joking...
What heavy programs are you using ?

Did you check how much RAM was detected and in use with "free -m" ?

I've installed Jaunty on my humble netbook with 512 Mb RAM, and on my desktop I've tested it with 1 Gb of RAM and I think Jaunty is looking fabulous and great!

swoll1980
April 4th, 2009, 12:42 AM
You're joking...
What heavy programs are you using ?

Did you check how much RAM was detected and in use with "free -m" ?

I've installed Jaunty on my humble netbook with 512 Mb RAM, and on my desktop I've tested it with 1 Gb of RAM and I think Jaunty is looking fabulous and great!

Yeah, not being a jerk, or anything, but I think there's something wrong with his computer.

inobe
April 4th, 2009, 12:47 AM
i think expectations are too high for a beta/ alpha os...

if anything is wrong at this point a bug report should be made and not a complaint ;)

wolfen69
April 4th, 2009, 02:14 AM
I would issue a challenge for some to produce a screener of Ubuntu using 1 GiB of RAM w/o running a virtual machine of course.

i would, but i'm running 64bit, which we all know, uses more memory.

but that aside, even 512 should be good if you are not a multitasker.

calrogman
April 4th, 2009, 02:16 AM

I have 9.04a installed in a virtual machine with 500 MiB of RAM, it runs fine. Are you sure the install/upgrade went without error?

wolfen69
April 4th, 2009, 02:26 AM
An LXDE system can do just about everything GNOME can with no more work and far less resource usage.

then use an lxde based distro. or fluxbox, or..... you get the idea. if you think ubuntu-gnome is bloated, then we have different ideas of what bloat is. if you want real bloat, use vista. i find ubuntu to have what most people want.

should ubuntu's latest releases cater to people with with 9 yr old computers? i don't think so. most people i know have relatively new machines, and can handle what canonical puts out.

it's OK if you like minimalism, and that's why there are distros like crunchbang. it's seems like this conversation comes up after every release.

calrogman
April 4th, 2009, 02:29 AM
If you want real bloat, use Vista.

I second this. The bloat of Vista (which came installed on my laptop) is what made me jump off the Windows cruise-liner into the Linux pedalo. I also find being able to point my boat whichever way I want quite useful.:lolflag:

cardinals_fan
April 4th, 2009, 02:47 AM
then use an lxde based distro. or fluxbox, or..... you get the idea. if you think ubuntu-gnome is bloated, then we have different ideas of what bloat is. if you want real bloat, use vista. i find ubuntu to have what most people want.

should ubuntu's latest releases cater to people with with 9 yr old computers? i don't think so. most people i know have relatively new machines, and can handle what canonical puts out.

it's OK if you like minimalism, and that's why there are distros like crunchbang. it's seems like this conversation comes up after every release.
I am very happy to take this advice. But since Ubuntu's goal (or at least my understanding of it) is to provide an operating system that can be usable by anyone, regardless of their ability or hardware, it seems to me that it should aim for the lowest common denominator. Catering to people with old machines does not exclude those with newer hardware, who can add to the base setup if they feel the need. But assuming that users either have new machines or can afford to upgrade old ones seems directly contrary to the whole philosophy behind Ubuntu.

Of course, compromises are necessary. It simply isn't possible to run a graphical system on some truly ancient computers, but that does not mean that Ubuntu needs to go command-line only and exclude all users who don't want to handle that learning curve. I also wouldn't expect Ubuntu to mimic my Evilwm setup, because it is geared toward CLI apps and again has a steep learning curve.

My real point is that automation should not require system complexity or excessive resource usage. So many things on Ubuntu seem far too resource intensive to me. I've attached three screenshots of graphical configuration tools from SliTaz (two distinct to the project, one from LXDE). All of these perform the same tasks as graphical tools in Ubuntu but use far fewer resources and don't require complexities in the base system. I'm not saying that this is the best way. I am saying that it is possible to make things simple to learn without a bunch of clutter.

wolfen69
April 4th, 2009, 03:13 AM
it seems to me that it should aim for the lowest common denominator.

an admirable ideal, but in the real world, this is not the case. in order to move forward, some people will be left out in the cold. no use arguing this, as it is what it is, and we all have to do what we can.

since you seem to have the answers, perhaps you should be involved in development? after all, these conversations amount to nothing more than peeing into the wind.

wolfen69
April 4th, 2009, 03:18 AM
My real point is that automation should not require system complexity or excessive resource usage.

in your opinion, what is excessive resource usage? years ago, it may have been considered that anything that uses over 128mb ram is too heavy. times change remember, and you might just be stuck in the past.

and as far as you thinking ubuntu uses too many resources, well, let's just agree to disagree. i think ubuntu does a fine job overall.

and yes, i've known you long enough to know that you are a minimalist, and using more than 64mb ram is a waste. i get it.

cardinals_fan
April 4th, 2009, 04:02 AM
since you seem to have the answers, perhaps you should be involved in development? after all, these conversations amount to nothing more than peeing into the wind.
I'm going to start pushing some of my personal packages into the SliTaz repos following the 2.0 release. My programming skills are limited to Perl and shell scripting, but I am currently in the process of learning Java - though I probably wouldn't use it for my primary apps. Either way, all the scripts I write are simple CLI creations to automate daily tasks.

in your opinion, what is excessive resource usage? years ago, it may have been considered that anything that uses over 128mb ram is too heavy. times change remember, and you might just be stuck in the past.

and as far as you thinking ubuntu uses too many resources, well, let's just agree to disagree. i think ubuntu does a fine job overall.

and yes, i've known you long enough to know that you are a minimalist, and using more than 64mb ram is a waste. i get it.
I understand what you're saying. I accept that Ubuntu is aiming for the maximum amount of autoconfiguration and out-of-the-box functionality. Therefore, I say that excessive resource usage is any app that requires more resources to accomplish this goal than another available choice. I believe that many of the big RAM-eaters in Ubuntu could be replaced with lighter alternatives, making it even more usable for those without brand new machines.

Anyhow, I am glad to agree to disagree :)

an admirable ideal, but in the real world, this is not the case. in order to move forward, some people will be left out in the cold. no use arguing this, as it is what it is, and we all have to do what we can.
Accepting this logic, do you believe that new innovations should not be ported back to 32-bit systems?

dburnett77
April 4th, 2009, 02:02 PM
I'm fascinated everyone thought it was a complaint. It wasn't. Just an observation.

My system is old, practical archaic. I thought most reasonable users were aware that RAM upgrades breathed new life into an aging system.

I know that when a computer is running idle, which is when most will have a look at system monitors, RAM usage is well coordinated. However, when installing, booting, compiling, etc., you need a good amount of RAM. This is what I accomplished with $40US retail. As opposed to a new system which was also on the options table.

2GB of RAM is considered excessive by some's standards for linux, which runs on minimal systems, but I like to try new/newer distros all the time, and the install process is very CPU/RAM intensive. My reasoning for opting for more workspace for the CPU with a RAM upgrade.

swoll1980
April 4th, 2009, 02:46 PM
I'm fascinated everyone thought it was a complaint. It wasn't. Just an observation.

I didn't think it was a complaint. Complaints are limited to legitimate problems. This is just FUD, plain, and simple.

Mr. Picklesworth
April 4th, 2009, 02:51 PM
I didn't think it was a complaint. Complaints are limited to legitimate problems. This is just FUD, plain, and simple.

*sigh*

Mehall
April 4th, 2009, 11:02 PM
*sigh*

+1

Sylslay
April 5th, 2009, 12:19 AM
I run Ubuntu 9.04 on Siemens Amilo laptop with P4 HT 1300, and only 512MB ram, and ext4.
It much faster than "fresh" Windows XP with latest upgrate.
Since kernel 2.6.28-11-generic, I own quite fast system. The Fastes , ever had.
PS1 Mostly for home/office use.
PS2 Its very fast for dayly wrok/ 845G is not for games

billgoldberg
April 5th, 2009, 12:25 AM

Admit it, you are happy to finally have an excuse to update your hardware.

:p:p

dburnett77
April 5th, 2009, 10:18 AM
Admit it, you are happy to finally have an excuse to update your hardware.

:p:p

I haven't touched my system as far as hardware upgrades for near 1 year until now. And, yes, I did like increasing my capacity.
I teased myself with wanting a newer system with an AMD X3 CPU, but delayed that decision, for now.

If it wasn't for my extraneous efforts in trying all sorts of distro's, including betas, I wouldn't have had to upgrade. But, the install process was starting to lean towards ~45 minutes, and I do that often. So, the upgrade just made my system more usable.

dburnett77
April 17th, 2009, 01:54 AM
The new release candidate from today's download, is a better selection for performance.

The Beta team needs to give itself a hand. Although, with my feable inable of NVidia 8400GS, the RAM mod has allowed my too run advances in graphics, as in, ie, the complex snappy opt.s

So, it's not money wasted onthe RAM. Performance, tolerable...