PDA

View Full Version : Is there a way to do this?

greenwom
January 2nd, 2006, 05:23 PM
I just posted this as an idea in the idea pool wiki but I wanted to know if it can be done easily.

I'd like to have mounted discs icons (ipods, cd, dvd, usb jump drives) apear in the status tray instead of the desktop in gnome. is there anyway to do this 'easily'. It's an eye candy / clean desktop thing for me.

I'm not sure how to go about this so if anyone can point me to how gnome creates and places the launcher on the desktop & how the status bar works I'd try my hand at figuring it out.

:rolleyes:

joselin
January 2nd, 2006, 05:59 PM
Hi,

I can't help you with those things, but i only wanted to say that is a great idea.

Regards

anil_robo
January 2nd, 2006, 06:35 PM
Status tray? You mean where the date etc. is? There was a utility (I am forgetting the name) which showed free space on all disks and it used to reside in the system tray. It was some KDE component I believe... I'm not in front of my ubuntu box right now, so I can't specity. Open synaptic and search for the words "free space" and you should be able to find it.

greenwom
January 2nd, 2006, 08:31 PM
I'm not looking for the free space icon. I'm looking to have no automatic desktop icons/launchers that show my mounted cds, dvds, or ipod. I'd rather they only show up in the status bar.

I'd think that I'd have to find the status bar config/ documentation and then assign mounted items and then I'd have to go to where the desktop config is and disable the mounted icons. (this part I think I read somewhere)

mcduck
January 2nd, 2006, 09:27 PM
desktop icons can be disabled by opening configuration editor (Applications/System Tools/Configuration Editor) and unmarking apps/nautilus/desktop/volumes_visible.

That was the easy part. I hope you can figure out how to get the mounted medias in the Notification Area. I realy like the idea, and I also hate having stuff on my desktop..

prizrak
January 2nd, 2006, 09:31 PM
I think the only way would be third party software. The desktop shorcuts are handled by Nautilus and the gnome panels aren't so there is no easy built in way. I'm sure there must be some 3rd party apps to do this tho :)

23meg
January 2nd, 2006, 09:32 PM
Try adding the disk mounter applet to your Gnome panel if you haven't.

greenwom
January 2nd, 2006, 09:53 PM
The disc mounter applet is ok for the moment but It's always there. I'd like something that only shows the mounted volumes. :(

The best thing so far is to disable the volumes per the instructions above (thanks mcduck)

mcduck
desktop icons can be disabled by opening configuration editor (Applications/System Tools/Configuration Editor) and unmarking apps/nautilus/desktop/volumes_visible. and add the applet to the gnome panel.

The disk mounter applet if pretty long it's linka inch and a half.

greenwom
January 2nd, 2006, 10:03 PM
I've emailed the Gnome applet mailing list to see if they can provide some insight.