PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu update through iso file

psyboy55
April 2nd, 2009, 11:50 PM
i have ubuntu 7.10. i tried getting to 8.04 but it didn't work. i made an alternate install disk through ubuntu.com/download/getubuntu. i put it on a disk but the disk drive was broken. i got the iso file on the computer but i don't know how to update!?!? plzz don't say to update it through the update manager...

taurus
April 2nd, 2009, 11:57 PM
What's wrong with update manager? Your machine is not connected to the net or something?

manishtech
April 3rd, 2009, 12:05 AM
Disk drive was broken? Means?
You can probably burn the ISO and install 8.04 over 7.10, the only problem with this method is that you would lose data on the partition.

upchucky
April 3rd, 2009, 01:08 AM
if disk drive is broken means that the cd drive is not working, there is a way to create a bios bootable usb, or a bootable floppy to kick start the install, just need to change the sources list.

you said that you created a cd, i also assume that u used a different pc since the cd is not working on the target pc?

and I am curious as to why you do not use the updater, no net connection on target pc? updater fails? dialup?

google the hints i posted, it is too extensive for me to type procedures here.

psyboy55
April 3rd, 2009, 01:49 AM
I have net connection! but every time i try the update manager it says "Failed to download release notes" then "check internet connection." I have internet connection! it's through ETHERNET. i think my disk drive works it's just really difficult because i have to insert it a hundred times till it finds it. i have the >iso file on a flash drive and on the target PC. i also have anothre Pc with internet

upchucky
April 3rd, 2009, 01:59 AM
make sure the administrator of your ethernet has not set dhcp to refresh ip address on a regular interval, bad admin, bad bad

while admin is there have the ports checked, firewall may have important one closed or restricted, bad admin, bad bad

have admin ensure ip provider is not choking the bandwidth, bad provider, bad bad.

take peanut butter sandwich out of cd drive, bad kids , bad,bad
carefully dust off laser in cd drive, do not bang or jar it.

psyboy55
April 3rd, 2009, 02:02 AM
this happened when i HAD wireless and now. i can connect to the internet veiw web pages and everything. i will try to dust off the laser.

upchucky
April 3rd, 2009, 02:12 AM
just a guess, i have seen 2.4ghz phone cause intermittent connection with a 2.4ghz router. (if a neighbors phone is within 100 feet of the router it will interfere also.)

if you have one of these, unplug the power to the phone and try again.
if the neighbor has one of these club neighbor over the head and unplug his phone, kiss neighbor's butt next time u see him, and buy him a non 2.4 ghz phone.

NoobBiscUiT
April 3rd, 2009, 10:39 PM
Unetbootin is your friend if you want to just upgrade via USB key, you already have the .iso so you should be set