PDA

View Full Version : What will the Ayatana Project bring?

MadsRH
April 2nd, 2009, 10:17 PM
I guess only Canoncial people would know, but I'm still curious. What will the Ayatana Project (https://launchpad.net/ayatana) bring in the future?

Sealbhach
April 2nd, 2009, 10:24 PM
Open Source Bob?

http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/bob7.jpg

FuturePilot
April 2nd, 2009, 10:27 PM
Open Source Bob?

http://blogs.pcworld.com/techlog/archives/bob7.jpg

AAAAAAAAAAAA

Anyways you're already seeing part of it; the new notification system.

Sealbhach
April 3rd, 2009, 01:01 AM
Well, it looks like it's about user interface, so who knows? Maybe touch screens, nicer start up appearance...Plymouth???

Mehall
April 3rd, 2009, 01:04 AM
Plymouth has nothing to do with it, that was wholly developed by Red Hat/Fedora.

Sealbhach
April 4th, 2009, 12:58 AM
Best source of information on what to expect from Ayatana here:

http://news.softpedia.com/news/Mark-Shuttleworth-Talks-About-Ubuntu-9-04-108552.shtml

He talks about it in the first five minutes or so. Also he talks a lot about the community and the forums.

billgoldberg
April 4th, 2009, 01:34 AM
I like it very much.

Ubuntu is maturing and innovating.

You got to love it.

jimi_hendrix
April 4th, 2009, 01:39 AM
whats the ayata thingie

DeadSuperHero
April 4th, 2009, 02:01 AM
whats the ayata thingie
The system notifications for Ubuntu Jaunty.

23meg
April 4th, 2009, 02:08 AM
The system notifications for Ubuntu Jaunty.

No, it's a broader project encompassing that.

Sealbhach
April 4th, 2009, 02:10 AM
No, it's a broader project encompassing that.

Seems to be all about the system being aware of its state and communicating that in very slick and interesting ways to the user.

Yashiro
April 4th, 2009, 01:21 PM
Slick interaction with the user relies on many things. One being a high performing and troublefree video subsystem.

That's a big project, one which Linux hasn't solved in over 10 years.
But perhaps 2009 is the year of Linux on the desktop.

gnomeuser
April 4th, 2009, 05:59 PM
I like it very much.

Ubuntu is maturing and innovating.

You got to love it.

They reskinned the existing notifications, I would hardly call that innovation - more like adding shiny to existing features. Which is nice as well but let's not skin the bear before we shot it.

I will await and see what Ayatana will bring, I wish they would work more in the open so interested people like myself could have a voice and an interested hand in the process of forming the products. Right now it stinks of catheral development which is being thrown over the fence for us to accept rather than participate in, which frankly I find a bit sad and counter to the ideals I hold high in Free Software.

billgoldberg
April 4th, 2009, 07:10 PM
They reskinned the existing notifications, I would hardly call that innovation - more like adding shiny to existing features. Which is nice as well but let's not skin the bear before we shot it.

I will await and see what Ayatana will bring, I wish they would work more in the open so interested people like myself could have a voice and an interested hand in the process of forming the products. Right now it stinks of catheral development which is being thrown over the fence for us to accept rather than participate in, which frankly I find a bit sad and counter to the ideals I hold high in Free Software.

Not true, they implemented new features, how did Shuttleworth put it, eum, click through notifications.

You can get involved if you want. They aren't going to invite you themselves.

Vadi
April 4th, 2009, 07:15 PM
It just might be the pull in desktop experience that will propel Linux forward.

Who knows. Compiz already did a great job, and this just might be the next thing in the Linux desktop experience.

hanzomon4
April 4th, 2009, 07:16 PM

https://launchpad.net/ayatana

gnomeuser
April 4th, 2009, 11:09 PM
hrmm launchpad is down.. regardless I checked earlier and the page didn't seem high on "development mailinglist here" links and wiki pages with design mockups.

*edit*

Does not use Launchpad for development, as stated on the page itself. So no, they fail on open development here. No code, no debate, no openness.

Canonical is of course free to do development any way they see fit but I think one should not discount openness as an approach even from the earliest steps. Many eyes and brains help make short of bad design, bugs and helps identify problems worth targeting.

Vadi
April 4th, 2009, 11:18 PM
Dude, chill.

If you don't checkoff the "code", "bugs" or other sections of the project and etc., it says "does not use launchpad for development". And all those boxes are not on by default, hence every new project says it.

Nevermind this is a meta-project. Notify-osd is in launchpad, code is available, feel free to feast on it all you need.

issih
April 4th, 2009, 11:30 PM
A google for ayatana mailing list brings this up.

https://lists.canonical.com/mailman/listinfo/bazaar-ng

The video linked earlier makes it fairly clear that the rest of it is just a concept at the moment, the only really solid thing is the notifications, the rest of it is whatever comes next.

I really don't believe ubuntu is going to start ******* around hiding code from the OSS community, its just got precious little to show in there yet..

CraigPaleo
April 6th, 2009, 10:14 AM
This is from Dec. '08 http://www.osnews.com/story/20688/Canonical_Announces_New_Notification_System_for_GN OME_KDE/

It says that Ayatana, or at least the notification system, will be coming to Kubuntu as well. I hadn't seen this elsewhere. Does anyone know if it's true?

gnomeuser
April 6th, 2009, 10:24 AM
This is from Dec. '08 http://www.osnews.com/story/20688/Canonical_Announces_New_Notification_System_for_GN OME_KDE/

It says that Ayatana, or at least the notification system, will be coming to Kubuntu as well. I hadn't seen this elsewhere. Does anyone know if it's true?

well they are not even sharing what it is, but if they say so you can elect to believe them or not.

CraigPaleo
April 6th, 2009, 10:36 AM
well they are not even sharing what it is, but if they say so you can elect to believe them or not.

Well, in his own blog: http://www.markshuttleworth.com/archives/253
Mark Shuttleworth says himself that it will be written in both GTK for Gnome and Qt for KDE so I tend to believe it. I have a feeling though that despite their plan to deliver both simultaneously, they might be giving the GTK version the priority and that we probably won't see the Qt version as soon.

3rdalbum
April 6th, 2009, 01:33 PM
What's wrong with Linux's presentation of system information to the user? My keyboard lights flash when I need to reboot the compouter, that's all I need to know :-D

Vadi
April 6th, 2009, 01:55 PM
No, they are treating both KDE and Qt more or less equally - it's just that the Kubuntu team (which as you know, Kubuntu being more independent from Canonical unlike Ubunut) still hasn't decided on if they want this thing in and how.

CraigPaleo
April 6th, 2009, 02:56 PM
No, they are treating both KDE and Qt more or less equally - it's just that the Kubuntu team (which as you know, Kubuntu being more independent from Canonical unlike Ubunut) still hasn't decided on if they want this thing in and how.

I think they should go for it and I hope they do. Providing a graphical option to turn it off and asking during the upgrade would keep the users happy who otherwise might not like it. We shall see.

I really appreciated it when I upgraded to Ubuntu 8.10 and I was given the option of installing the fast user switch applet, which I absolutely fell in love with. This sort of thoughtfulness can go a long way on a desktop-oriented distribution.

P.S. Did you change your avatar? I need to get into the habit of trying to remember "names" rather than "faces."

Vadi
April 6th, 2009, 03:18 PM
Yeah I changed it

T31
April 10th, 2009, 06:11 PM
Well, everything bit by bit, just check out the changes in Ubuntu since the original 4.10 and I am not meaning just the interface but the way we use the desktop, how most of the 'hard' tasks are easier and easier, i.e.D>I dont know any propietary OS out there which will install you codecs, drivers just like that. =D>

toupeiro
April 10th, 2009, 10:16 PM
Just what I needed... More pop-ups..., whats next, web browser toolbars? Why am I feeling the sudden sensation of Deja Vu?

:P

OK, now in all seriousness, this isn't really all that bad. I typically HATE things that feel the need to pop up in my face, however, writing a framework around notifications that you can plug applications into is brilliance because it gives me one central interface to shut it all off, or only enable specifically what I want.

Likely, I will turn everything off, but I love having the option to.

gnomeuser
April 10th, 2009, 10:26 PM
What's wrong with Linux's presentation of system information to the user? My keyboard lights flash when I need to reboot the compouter, that's all I need to know :-D

slight little tiny bitty problem.. laptop keyboards don't generally have those blinky thingys. How will I know how to reboot, clearly the only viable solution is to engineer a system that never needs to be rebooted.