PDA

View Full Version : Looking for some direction..

Goeff
April 2nd, 2009, 08:56 PM
I hope that this is the right place to post this kind of topic!

I am very passionate about software writing in all its flavours. Over the 23 years of my life so far i have managed to teach myself python, quite a large portion of C++, php, java and even some assembly...

I dont know, my passion for the subject just drives me to learn more all the time, and for some or other reason i learn things quite quickly.

I was hoping that someone in here could point me in the right direction towards some proper tutorials, books that i could buy or something, that i can use to learn how to develop proper applications/drivers/plugins/extensions or anything so that i can at some point contribute to the linux community

I have always wanted to write something ground breaking, and what better way to do it than to do it in the hope that it benefits the open-source community.

Any help with regards to this would be very much appreciated

Thank you

bapoumba
April 3rd, 2009, 09:28 PM
Moved to PT, your thread might get better exposure here :)

Beezleray
April 3rd, 2009, 09:44 PM
I too have been looking for a way to help the community anyway I can.

Sorivenul
April 4th, 2009, 04:48 AM
If you have knowledge (and command) of many languages, start looking through the Ubuntu Launchpad for bugs, and start by contributing patches, advice, and solutions.

Otherwise, you can start a new project you believe Linux is missing or one that you've used that can be done better, and release it under a free and open source license.

pmasiar
April 5th, 2009, 03:46 AM
Sticky FAQ have all kinds of answers. Of only mods pointed to them when moving thread here...

See also my sig.

Generic answer would be, Python is good enough for 90% of what you need for new 2-3 years at least.

slavik
April 5th, 2009, 03:55 AM
Sticky FAQ have all kinds of answers. Of only mods pointed to them when moving thread here...

See also my sig.

Generic answer would be, Python is good enough for 90% of what you need for new 2-3 years at least.
I'll do one better. ;)

Here is the link to the mentioned sticky entitled "Read Before Posting: Forum FAQ's, how to learn to program, and Linux programming": http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1006666