PDA

View Full Version : What are the chances of Apple porting iTunes?

d0b33
April 2nd, 2009, 07:36 PM
Am I the only Linux user that would like to have an official port of iTunes?

What are the odds of it happening though? I presume pretty slim because this will require Quicktime and Safari to be ported too but I sent a request anyway.

Who else would like to have itunes on Linux, maybe send a request here?...
http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

I run 7.2 on wine though but I would like to sync with my iPhone.

Edit:
link to petition...
http://www.petitiononline.com/itmslin/petition.html

spoons
April 2nd, 2009, 07:39 PM
As nice as it would be to have iTunes in Linux, I tihnk it would be better to lobby apple to allow third-party apps to interact with iPods and iPhones. That way we're not dependent on propietary software.

SuperSonic4
April 2nd, 2009, 07:43 PM
I agree with spoons, having more compatability with external media devices would be better. I'd not install iTunes anyway because of it requiring Quicktime which in turn installs a firefox plugin

speedwell68
April 2nd, 2009, 08:00 PM
I just use Songbird to transfer to my iPod Shuffle, why the hell would I want something as bad as iTunes?

smbm
April 2nd, 2009, 08:16 PM
I'd say they're approaching zero.

I use Banshee or Songbird to sync my iPod.

logos34
April 2nd, 2009, 08:17 PM
What a bloated monster. Plenty of lighter alternatives. Good thing it hasn't been ported.

stimpack
April 2nd, 2009, 08:32 PM
As close to zero as possible. I don't think they like doing a Windows version either, except financially they have too.

jespdj
April 2nd, 2009, 08:37 PM
There's only iTunes for Windows because Apple can't get around the fact that the majority of iPod buyers have computers running Windows. Since the market share of Linux on the desktop is so small, it is absolutely not interesting for Apple to spend time and money on porting iTunes to Linux. They will not sell significantly more iPods if they would port iTunes. So the chance that this is going to happen anytime in the coming five years is very close to zero.

I have an iPod Nano and use iTunes on Windows, but I don't like iTunes a lot. It sometimes has strange quirks and a lot of functions are not very intuitive (I would have expected better from Apple).

super.rad
April 2nd, 2009, 08:40 PM
Wouldnt want iTunes for linux, would like full iphone compatability on linux though as I really like them but refuse to dual boot just for 1 program and there are so many better music applications on linux

spupy
April 2nd, 2009, 09:37 PM
Apple is not going to port iTunes just to give ipod sync to the nice people at $linux_forum. Don't forget that the iTunes store is a major component of the program, and it brings them lots of cash, too.

There is a circle that represents ipod users, and another (far far smaller circle) for the linux users. The people where the two circles overlap are the target for a potential itunes linux port. Statistically, this overlapping area between the two circles is far too small to (financially?) justify the effort to create the port.

Apple is a company that goes after the big pies on the chart. And I don't think they have a statistic that will be like "Look, Steve, now we got so much linux users, shouldn't we port itunes?"

Besides, even if Linux'-%-on-the-desktop is smaller than Apples, they are still competitors in the fight of who eats more from windows' share. Porting to Linux won't have the same (positive) effect for apple as porting to Windows.

billgoldberg
April 2nd, 2009, 09:46 PM

What are the odds of it happening though? I presume pretty slim because this will require Quicktime and Safari to be ported too but I sent a request anyway.

None what so ever.

Have you ever know apple to port any thing to Linux?

They only care about themselves and they port their stuff to Windows to lure in users.

pieisgood4589
April 2nd, 2009, 09:49 PM

There's almost zero chance.

Apple is a very one-sided business-oriented company. Make iTunes available to the most popular operating systems. Why would they waste their time with Linux rather than using less time with Windows, and making more money with Windows as well?

Oh well...

d0b33
April 3rd, 2009, 10:10 AM
Guess I'm one of the few linux users that would like an iTunes port then?... maybe the only one. :redface:

Thing is that for iphone and itouch users there is no app that allows you to browse the itunes store or sync applications... I do agree that itunes is bloated but that's mainly the windows version, on OSX iTunes runs really well, I think the windows developers that Apple hire are not really focusing on optimization just porting.

I think apple are missing an oppurtunity here.. mostly with their store IMHO.

billgoldberg
April 3rd, 2009, 11:16 AM
Guess I'm one of the few linux users that would like an iTunes port then?... maybe the only one. :redface:

Thing is that for iphone and itouch users there is no app that allows you to browse the itunes store or sync applications... I do agree that itunes is bloated but that's mainly the windows version, on OSX iTunes runs really well, I think the windows developers that Apple hire are not really focusing on optimization just porting.

I think apple are missing an oppurtunity here.. mostly with their store IMHO.

You knew that when you bought your ipod or iphone.

d0b33
April 3rd, 2009, 12:03 PM

Yes but I was a windows user then ;)

I only switched to linux 6 months ago and so far the only 2 things that I use windows for are games and iTunes(for my iPhone).

But honestly how many linux users are there? and what percentage of them would make use of the store? I think apple are losing out or am I wrong?

rasmus91
April 3rd, 2009, 12:05 PM

I don't care for iTunes. I've used it once, and i didn't like it. I don't get the idea of why people thinks its so nice...

And just to answer the question. No, i don't think they will.

wrtpeeps
April 3rd, 2009, 12:20 PM
I don't care for iTunes. I've used it once, and i didn't like it. I don't get the idea of why people thinks its so nice...

And just to answer the question. No, i don't think they will.

Best ipod app by a country mile.

itunes store integration = the win.

Itunes ON your ipod = unbelievable.

d0b33
April 3rd, 2009, 03:35 PM
Best ipod app by a country mile.

itunes store integration = the win.

Itunes ON your ipod = unbelievable.

Quoted for truth :lolflag:

Mr. Picklesworth
April 3rd, 2009, 04:00 PM
I have lost count of how many people "end up" with Safari on their Windows computers and don't know how they got it. Apple's Windows software is worse than Norton Antivirus.
(And I basically lost my respect for ANY of their software when I noticed that the Safari web page is plastered with "Safari 4 beta." If you actually want a stable web browser you have to really go digging to find Safari 3. These lunatics build operating systems?)

If Apple wrote any end user applications for Linux, I guarantee you the traffic of support requests here would be unmanageable.

lyceum
April 3rd, 2009, 04:13 PM
I just started using iTunes recently when I got my iPod Touch, and I am not impressed. Amorok is still my fav. It would be nice to see it on Ubuntu as an option (I love options, even if I do not use them). That said, I do not see it happening. Maybe after Ubuntu dominates the Netbook market, but until then....

artir
April 3rd, 2009, 04:15 PM
Rhythmbox is bettah!

Skripka
April 3rd, 2009, 04:16 PM

QFT.

Buy a hardware from a company renowned for their locked hardware/software-and what do you expect?

An iTunes Linux port will never happen.

MikeTheC
April 3rd, 2009, 05:30 PM
Another ad infinitum / ad nauseum discussion...

Apple isn't going to port iTunes to Linux. If they had any desire to do so, they would have done so by now.

Apple wants to control the entire process. They don't just "want your money" but rather "want your money, come Hell or high water, take it or leave it, on their terms and only on their terms".

James_Lochhead
April 3rd, 2009, 05:37 PM
IMO, until recently it would have been nice for them to have ported iTunes. Now however, we have the new version of Banshee which is nearly as good (just needs a few more features like watching libraries) and a lot less bloated.

iTunes does look nice but the whole point of having a music player is that it plays music (not looks nice!) I would rather have a quicker more responsive player that takes up less resources while I do other things.

As for the chances of porting, I think they are close to zero.

lyceum
April 4th, 2009, 02:45 AM
Another ad infinitum / ad nauseum discussion...

Apple isn't going to port iTunes to Linux. If they had any desire to do so, they would have done so by now.

Apple wants to control the entire process. They don't just "want your money" but rather "want your money, come Hell or high water, take it or leave it, on their terms and only on their terms".

I have to agree. I went to add the Craig's List app today and reading the reviews found that it blocks pics and profanity. As a Christian I find that a great option, but the fact that Apple has it locked so you can't turn it off? Why are they playing mommy & daddy? That kind of control bothers me. Life should be about choice, not big brother.

SunnyRabbiera
April 4th, 2009, 02:55 AM
Ever hear of infinity?
Multiply infinity by infinity an infinite amount of times and you will get your answer soon :D

MaxIBoy
April 4th, 2009, 02:58 AM
Zero percent chance. The last thing they need is another cool, hip, underground, underdog, struggling-against-corporate-fascism operating system, just as they were busy creating a corporate fascist empire themselves. They would very much prefer it if Linux shriveled up and died. The only reason they ported it to Windows is so that more people would buy iPods. At this point, porting iTunes to Linux would encourage more Linux use and thus less revenue for Apple, whereas porting iTunes to Windows encourages more revenue for Apple. It's that simple.

MikeTheC
April 4th, 2009, 03:20 AM
...just as they were busy creating a corporate fascist empire themselves...

With respect, why should Apple port an app to a platform populated by people who feel like you? You're not going to buy their products, whether for personal intellectual or emotional reasons, or simply because many Linux users live outside the range of "man on the street" people and don't care about the presentation as much as you do the technology (which is not a criticism, just an observation).

Moreover, they would have to put in at least as much effort to port it to Linux as they did Windows, and without a reasonable amount of guaranteed financial justification, why bother?

MaxIBoy
April 4th, 2009, 03:26 AM
With respect, why should Apple port an app to a platform populated by people who feel like you? You're not going to buy their products, whether for personal intellectual or emotional reasons, or simply because many Linux users live outside the range of "man on the street" people and don't care about the presentation as much as you do the technology (which is not a criticism, just an observation).

Moreover, they would have to put in at least as much effort to port it to Linux as they did Windows, and without a reasonable amount of guaranteed financial justification, why bother?What is your problem? I was simply taking on a caricature of the market Apple is going after. I am most certainly not anti-business. I am simply pointing out that Apple is trying to appeal to an anti-business market (at least with the Macintosh line, maybe not so much with the iPods,) and in the process, they are becoming just as exploitive a business as Microsoft is. They cannot afford more Linux usage, or even to acknowledge Linux's existence, or else their entire marketing plan and corporate image are useless.

MikeTheC
April 4th, 2009, 04:08 AM
What is your problem? I was simply taking on a caricature of the market Apple is going after. I am most certainly not anti-business. I am simply pointing out that Apple is trying to appeal to an anti-business market (at least with the Macintosh line, maybe not so much with the iPods,) and in the process, they are becoming just as exploitive a business as Microsoft is. They cannot afford more Linux usage, or even to acknowledge Linux's existence, or else their entire marketing plan and corporate image are useless.

If anything, you were being a caricature of the stereotypical "Linux geek" who is anti-business, anti-capitalist, etc. If I've dressed you in borrowed robes, I apologize, but it's only as a direct result of how you presented yourself.

I am personally a long time user and fan of the Mac, and therefore also a long-time Apple customer. However, let's put that aside for the moment and discuss this analytically and strategically.

Apple has positioned itself through marketing as the anti-Microsoft, modern-day counter-culture organization. Clearly this is something taken to heart by it's many employees, so whatever aspersions you or anyone else might want to cast, let's remember the attitude is not necessarily skin deep. Anyhow...

Apple's marketing strategy is to state they bring relief to the Windows-using masses through having a better operating system. Clearly they bring to the masses an OS which is not exploited and prone to hanging it's customers underware out to flap in the breeze like Windows. Equally clearly, Apple is trying to open people's eyes up to the fact that it's possible for there to be an operating system besides the ones Microsoft produces which are genuine, credible, legal and viable. For many people, it's not just that Apple is presenting them an alternative, but that Apple is opening their eyes to the fact that such a concept as an alternative even exists.

In parallel with at least some of that, the F/OSS community has been fighting much of the same battle, and where Apple has enjoyed success principally with selling an alternative desktop/workstation OS product, the F/OSS community has been very successful putting forth and encouraging the adoption of an alternative server OS. Arguably, in the case of Linux, it's moved into a dominant position (majority or not) in the server market.

In many ways, in writing this post and just observing things in the industry in general, I feel like I'm rewatching a scene from the 1999 movie Wild Wild West, wherein President Grant confronts Capt. West and U.S.M. Gordon and asks them, if they've both been pursuing the same goal (that is, finding Gen. McGrath), why did it take them this long to figure it out?

What I mean by that is fundamentally Apple and F/OSS are trying to get people to use their respective products, and to get people to use them in place of Microsoft's products.

Apple has, and it continues to benefit, from people and projects in and tangentially connected to the F/OSS movement. Apple has no reason to worry about Linux as a competitor in the near term, and really only needs to concern itself with Linux in the long term. That being said, Apple's business model obviously does involve getting people to use their hardware. This forum is really the wrong place to expound on all-things-Apple, but since Apple has gone to x86, this should be something that has the Linux community cheering, since it means Apple customers can be more easily exposed to Linux. It also means there may be more demand felt, at least in some small way, by "TPTB" to get some commercial stuff ported to Linux.

Apple ported iTunes to Windows because it knew that's where the biggest segment of customers could be found. If further adoption of Linux by people, companies, government agencies and so forth around the world continues, it could well be that Linux becomes the majority player in the desktop OS space. Odds are, if that were to happen, Apple might well port iTunes to Linux, simply as a business necessity.

lyceum
April 4th, 2009, 02:17 PM
I have been giving this some thought and I really do not think the chance is zero. I agree with Shuttleworth:

"The next billion PC users won't be as interested in compatibility with Microsoft Office as they are in connecting to Twitter and staying connected to their social network through the Web," Shuttleworth said. "The business models are changing and it means that the growth of the PC industry is going to be strongly attracted to alternative to Windows -- that's my belief."

http://www.internetnews.com/hardware/article.php/3813456/Shuttleworth+Windows+7+an+Opportunity+for+Linux.ht m

The future of Ubuntu at this point is the Netbook market. My wife picked up a Samsung Netbook a month ago and the first thing she did was dual boot it, saving XP "just in case" (it has been a month now, she has booted XP 4 times, including the first time she fired up and after loading Ubuntu to make sure XP still worked). Granted, she is a Mac fan, not an Ubuntu fan, but she still saw as a informed shopper that Dell is not the only Netbook maker using Linux based distros. She almost didn't buy the Samsung as it came with XP (she hates Windows, calls it the OS for those that don't know what a computer is). But the hardware specs for the price were the best and she came here to see how well it would work. She is addicted to that Netbook. I went into the Kitchen this morning and found her Mac turned off. We have been married 5 years, this is the second time in all that time I have had to look for the power button. Meanwhile she got mad at me 2 nights ago for turning off her Netbook (or Netbuntu as she calls it) rather than just closing the lid so it could sleep.

Now she is a bit iof an exception, as she is married to a FOSS user. I talk to her about distros, so she gets why Ubuntu is the best one. However, it is still clear to see that Ubuntu will run better on a Netbook than a bloated OS like Vista. So from the sales perspective and the success of the Eee machine, Ubuntu on a Netbook still makes sense.

My point in all this? Netbooks are cool. They are the future of coffee shops/internet cafes etc... I gave my wife no help, not because I am a jerk but because she didn't need it. Yes, she has run Ubuntu on her Mac, but didn't need me for that either. (She did have some install questions.) As a Mac user she understood that Windows isn't Mac isn't Ubuntu isn't Windows. I think that is something the upcoming generation "gets" that mine does not (my wife is 10 years younger than me). If they start using Netbooks with Ubuntu, SuSE, etc... how will they connect their iPods? Not with iTunes. What will Apple do then? The only logical action.

I give iTunes for FOSS 25% chance. I give iTunes on Wine-Doors making Wine-doors a college dorm name - maybe even a household name - if Apple doesn't port it 100% chance if Netbooks with FOSS OSs become the norm.

MikeTheC
April 4th, 2009, 08:24 PM
What was it that Heraclitus used to say? Change is the only constant.

If you look at computer users generationally, it's very obvious how much different each successive generation was from the previous one(s). Each has become more savvy than their predecessors, and with that comes a change in perspectives, priorities and desires. Change is inevitable. Change is part of human nature, so societal change is inevitable.

Many people (including a number here on UbuntuForums) like to maintain that Linux represents no real credible threat to either Microsoft or Apple. While they may be right in the short term, I believe they are dead wrong in the long term, simply because F/OSS as a whole, Linux as a major part, and Ubuntu as a very significant influence, have made an almost incalculable impact on the tech industry. Even if in 10 years "Linux as we know it today" no longer were to exist, we would still be living in a world where all the programmers, all the tech managers, and much -- if not most -- members of Boards-of-Directors will be folk who were at least influenced by it, if not inculcated as individuals in it. In fact, many governments -- even, paradoxically, the ones trying to enact restrictions on their people -- have this very pro-Linux mentality, so society around the world has this sort of "pincer move" influence from the ground up and the top down.

Arguably, everything I've thus far said is very forward-looking, but if it were to happen, then obviously one of two basic kind of things would be likely to occur:

1. Apple sees the trend lines and decides to port iTunes to Linux;

2. Other sources will find ways to replace not just iTunes, but more importantly iTMS, thereby effectively shutting Apple out completely.

However, there's probably zero chance of there being a Linux iTunes port any time in the next 2 years, simply because it'll take longer than that for Linux to "spool up" to any kind of desktop-level influence, much less dominance.

Also paradoxically, if you want to get iTunes on Linux, what you need to do is to get Adobe to start porting their apps, because that'll help swing the Mac base to Linux (which could potentially add another 20 million or so folk to the ranks), and that alone might be what's necessary. There's a lot of Windows users who would also then be swayed simply because getting a major corp to release for "desktop" Linux would inspire other corps to do so, and once they start doing that, it means users no longer have to make what many here often like to point out are inconvenient choices.

And, in the end, isn't this all about choice anyhow?

lyceum
April 4th, 2009, 09:12 PM
What was it that Heraclitus used to say? Change is the only constant.

However, there's probably zero chance of there being a Linux iTunes port any time in the next 2 years, simply because it'll take longer than that for Linux to "spool up" to any kind of desktop-level influence, much less dominance...

I don't know. The computer world seems to move pretty fast at times. My wife thought Skype would never come to the iPhone as it would compete with AT&T. When I told her 2 weeks ago that Skype said something was in the works she said it would be months. Then it was here.

Bottom line - if Apple thinks they can make money from it, it will come. I really think this year is the year of the Netbook. Once Vista +1 comes out and it is still to bloated or not as cost effective as manufactures want for Netbooks, Ubuntu and Android will have their day. If Apple doesn't port then, they are just being dumb.

looplu
April 5th, 2009, 01:45 AM
Zero percent chance. The last thing they need is another cool, hip, underground, underdog, struggling-against-corporate-fascism operating system, just as they were busy creating a corporate fascist empire themselves. They would very much prefer it if Linux shriveled up and died. The only reason they ported it to Windows is so that more people would buy iPods. At this point, porting iTunes to Linux would encourage more Linux use and thus less revenue for Apple, whereas porting iTunes to Windows encourages more revenue for Apple. It's that simple.

thats a bit unfair , Apple supports their own open sourced free distro "Darwin" check it out/ acts a developers tool lately, but old OS versions are still freely available, Apple are 100's times more supportive to open source than MS..

MikeTheC
April 5th, 2009, 02:46 AM
I really think this year is the year of the Netbook. Once Vista +1 comes out and it is still to bloated or not as cost effective as manufactures want for Netbooks, Ubuntu and Android will have their day. If Apple doesn't port then, they are just being dumb.

Speaking of Apple and NetBooks, there's some rumors going around that Apple may be looking into doing a netbook of their own. Of course, it's just unsubstantiated rumor at this point, but you never know. Apple's R&D department must be a fun place to work... ;)

SomeGuyDude
April 5th, 2009, 03:14 AM
Zero.

Apple is cornering the market as the OS for people who are annoyed at PC's (read: Windows). They start admitting that Linux exists and is good enough to put work into and they're cutting into their own market share.

MikeTheC
April 5th, 2009, 05:33 AM
They start admitting that Linux exists and is good enough to put work into and they're cutting into their own market share.

Couple quick thoughts on this.

You're absolutely right that Apple would potentially be cutting their own throat. However, they would still have the advantage of having native commercial software written for it (whereas, on the whole, Linux does not), and frankly there's a lot of people out there who, right or wrong, perceive something that's free as being valueless. Sure, it might work, but if it's good, why not charge for it? (And yes, I know this gets into the whole explanation of the concept of GPL, open source, etc., but obviously Apple isn't going to start trying to explain all that to them.)

majamba
April 5th, 2009, 05:38 AM
not happening i used to work there as intern on osx, for them to really product on the linux system is not possible and second when someone seems to make some programs that work to sync ipods on linux apple tries to bring down the project

lyceum
April 5th, 2009, 03:14 PM
Speaking of Apple and NetBooks, there's some rumors going around that Apple may be looking into doing a netbook of their own. Of course, it's just unsubstantiated rumor at this point, but you never know. Apple's R&D department must be a fun place to work... ;)

Yeah, I have heard that too. For some reason, some people think the MacBook Air is their Netbook right now. I don't get that, it is too big. I wouldn't think it would be hard for them, AT&T is trying to get people to sign up for iPhone-like internet service:

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-10210337-1.html

So it would seem natural that Apple make an iNetBook for that plan to go along with their AT&T iPhone. Infact, they could probably just use a supped up version of the iPhone's OS, rather than use OS X. If they could keep the price down, or offer it at a discount with an AT&T contract there could be a real NetBook war coming. That could be fun ;)

lyceum
April 5th, 2009, 03:20 PM
thats a bit unfair , Apple supports their own open sourced free distro "Darwin" check it out/ acts a developers tool lately, but old OS versions are still freely available, Apple are 100's times more supportive to open source than MS..

Thanks for the tip, very cool stuff. It looks like it may be coming back to life:

"PureDarwin

In 2007, the PureDarwin project was launched to continue where OpenDarwin left off, and is currently working to produce a release based on Darwin 9. There is a developer preview available, called "PureDarwin XMas", based on Darwin 9. This release has X11, DTrace, and ZFS[17]. PureDarwin nano is a another release of PureDarwin that is supposed to be minimalistic."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system)

Apple could get some really cool points if it sold computers with their own FOSS OS. They could charge the same price and funnel the money back into the project. Right now they sell their OS for the highest price any OS should be, $100 for 1, $200 for 5. Though as a FOSS fan I do think that after you buy it you should be able to put it onto any computer you want, as long as you own it.

wrtpeeps
April 5th, 2009, 10:41 PM
I have lost count of how many people "end up" with Safari on their Windows computers and don't know how they got it. Apple's Windows software is worse than Norton Antivirus.
(And I basically lost my respect for ANY of their software when I noticed that the Safari web page is plastered with "Safari 4 beta." If you actually want a stable web browser you have to really go digging to find Safari 3. These lunatics build operating systems?)

If Apple wrote any end user applications for Linux, I guarantee you the traffic of support requests here would be unmanageable.

Oh right, they must be missing the big pop up that comes up and says "UNCHECK PROGRAMS YOU DON'T WANT INSTALLED: Safari".

Can't blame Apple if people are idiots.

carl_pr
April 5th, 2009, 10:59 PM
I like better songbird, doest install so much crap like quicktime (in windows) and ipod stuff. I use songbird now in linux and vista (rarely), i ported all my music to linux.

looplu
April 5th, 2009, 11:06 PM
Apple could get some really cool points if it sold computers with their own FOSS OS. They could charge the same price and funnel the money back into the project. Right now they sell their OS for the highest price any OS should be, $100 for 1, $200 for 5. Though as a FOSS fan I do think that after you buy it you should be able to put it onto any computer you want, as long as you own it.

I totally agree , In fact the mark up Apple charge, for their computers, upgraded OS should be free for as long as you have the computer . and it can load it.

If Apple was smart, with the backfire of Vista they should get as close to open source as possible, my enemies enemy ect. what ever OSX is, its never going to challenge the PC OS market (Hackintosh apart). This is all big business stuff, but I do look forward to the day a single OS company doesn't monopolise.

why apple.com isn't a linux distro mirror i don't know.

wonder why Mac don't do a cross platform OSX ??? third party software guess. Mac exe lol now that would be a court case i'd like to go to.

OSX light for netbooks, :)

the "Air' is a cool machine (love to have one) but i reckon it is a skinny laptop not a netbook.

AlphaMack
April 5th, 2009, 11:59 PM
My only reason for wanting iTunes on Linux is for compatibility for our AirPort Express base stations which we have owned way before ever getting our feet wet in Ubuntu. Unfortunately, there is still no solution of some sort to reliably stream music from any of the available players. (Yes, there's JustePort, but it's only a starting point.)

lyceum
April 7th, 2009, 12:26 AM
wonder why Mac don't do a cross platform OSX ??? third party software guess. Mac exe lol now that would be a court case i'd like to go to.

OSX light for netbooks, :)

Before they bought NeXT (which brought Steve Jobs - owner of NeXT - back to the company as a consultant) Apple WAS working on that mistake. It almost put them out of business. The trouble with letting just anyone make your hardware, like MS does, is that you are now competing in a different market and can only gain $$s by selling your OS. Mac is going it right - Sell the hardware with your software, make sure the software does everything even if it does it poorly. If there is an issue, it is an Apple issue. There is no blame to pass back and forth - it just gets fixed. They do not have to worry if their product is going to look good, they make it look good. Etc...

FOSS should learn from this. I would love to see a hardware vendor, like Dell, come out and say "here is our new stuff, it is our hardware, our OS". Now I am over simplifying, Apple still has to work with nVidia, etc... but they can - they are Apple. A company like Dell could do the same thing. I would love to see them come out with an "L" lineup of desktops, laptops and netbooks that were made with Ubuntu - or their own Ubuntu based disrto - in mind, rather than just shipping boxes made for MS that just so happen to have Ubuntu on them. (This is sad, but I already have a whole marketing campaign for this, I really spend way too much time thinking about it.)

And as for the OSX light for net books, i have read that is exactly what they are going to do - beef up the iPhone OS a little and that will be the Netbook OS.

d0b33
April 7th, 2009, 08:50 AM
FOSS should learn from this. I would love to see a hardware vendor, like Dell, come out and say "here is our new stuff, it is our hardware, our OS".

Intel will be doing this with moblin.

Orlsend
April 7th, 2009, 09:05 AM
I think the chances are slim since we got Miro and Songbird. They both could get add-ons to sync to ipods.

chris.olive
April 7th, 2009, 10:16 AM
Dear All
Don't know about itunes I did try installing it via wine etc but was not stable, so bye-bye.
However this is my big problem with Ubuntu and Linuk in general, the lack of a good music player the music players available on Linux are fine if you only want to play short 'pop' songs, but all my music is classical and includes a lot of complete operas, these I take on my laptop when I travel,I don't have a MP3 player but may get an Archos one day,
NOTE! those of a nervous disposition please sit down or look away.
The only one I have ever found that really works for me is Windows Media Player, as I can list things like composer, orchestra, soloists and movement headings [Allegro] I can list all this on W M P with no problems, BUT I like using Ubuntu and don't have enough disk space [60g]to load music Ubuntu and windows XP, there would not be enough space left, and don't want to, neither do I want to use different programs to rip and play.
I know what you will all say, but if Linux is ever to enter the main stream these issues need to be addressed, and I may stop looking at spottie cats, though the cost of the fruit!
:(

d0b33
April 7th, 2009, 02:02 PM
However this is my big problem with Ubuntu and Linuk in general, the lack of a good music player the music players available on Linux are fine if you only want to play short 'pop' songs, but all my music is classical and includes a lot of complete operas.

Amarok 2 is still in beta development, maybe they'd be interested in your input?

Edit:
ok I think it's not beta anymore.

Johnsie
April 7th, 2009, 03:51 PM
No, it's not in Beta, Ubuntu is just way behind. I actually had Amarok 2 running on Windows before I could be bothered going through the lengthly tutorials to install it on Ubuntu.

Apple supporting Itunes on Linux? Not going to happen. It's not worth the money for them. The active Linux community is very small compared to Windows which is the only non-apple OS they've ported to. Spotify is good and pretty easy to install but it doesn't support portable devices, it's still worth checking out though.

d0b33
April 7th, 2009, 04:01 PM
No, it's not in Beta, Ubuntu is just way behind. I actually had Amarok 2 running on Windows before I could be bothered going through the lengthly tutorials to install it on Ubuntu.

What? in ubuntu I just add the repo, refresh repo, search for amarok2 and install... easy.

lyceum
April 7th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Dear All
Don't know about itunes I did try installing it via wine etc but was not stable, so bye-bye.
However this is my big problem with Ubuntu and Linuk in general, the lack of a good music player the music players available on Linux are fine if you only want to play short 'pop' songs, but all my music is classical and includes a lot of complete operas, these I take on my laptop when I travel,I don't have a MP3 player but may get an Archos one day,
NOTE! those of a nervous disposition please sit down or look away.
The only one I have ever found that really works for me is Windows Media Player, as I can list things like composer, orchestra, soloists and movement headings [Allegro] I can list all this on W M P with no problems, BUT I like using Ubuntu and don't have enough disk space [60g]to load music Ubuntu and windows XP, there would not be enough space left, and don't want to, neither do I want to use different programs to rip and play.
I know what you will all say, but if Linux is ever to enter the main stream these issues need to be addressed, and I may stop looking at spottie cats, though the cost of the fruit!

???

I also listen to classical. The closest I get to pop is NIN. I use Amarok and it is way better than iTunes (IMO). Now, I do not use Amarok to shop, but you can use iPodslave to sync it to your iPod, just look in Synaptic Package Manager. And Linux does not have the issue, FOSS does. Linux is just the kernel. Just wondering (if you are still here to answer) how many different music players did you try? If you have an iPod, check this out:

http://www.ubuntux.org/ipod-vs-ubuntu-the-struggle-for-perfect-synchronization

If not, it is still a good list of the best music players on a FOSS system.

lyceum
April 7th, 2009, 06:47 PM
I think the chances are slim since we got Miro and Songbird. They both could get add-ons to sync to ipods.

But can Apple sell stuff through them? Watch the Netbook market, then ask the question again. Netbooks will be the foot in the door that gets people to see FOSS for what it is - a viable and even better product. Windows and Apple were Revolutions, and like any good revolution they fade out. FOSS is an evolution. That is why it will win in the end.

:guitar:

d0b33
April 8th, 2009, 05:01 PM
Watch the Netbook market, then ask the question again. Netbooks will be the foot in the door that gets people to see FOSS for what it is - a viable and even better product. Windows and Apple were Revolutions, and like any good revolution they fade out. FOSS is an evolution. That is why it will win in the end.

:guitar:

Looks like Microsoft already plans to invade the netbook market...
http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/04/08/windows-7-and-netbooks---where-are-we-now

Ascenti0n
April 8th, 2009, 05:57 PM
zero

d0b33
April 8th, 2009, 06:53 PM
zero

:frown:

BXL
April 8th, 2009, 07:25 PM
Why...? There are many apps which work perfectly with iPods like Rhythembox. There are even good alternatives to buy online musik, without DRMs and even at a better price.

d0b33
April 8th, 2009, 07:34 PM
I mentioned in an earlier post that only iTunes can loads apps from the appstore onto the iPhone/iTouch. Don't get me wrong I do like the players that are available for linux but I really enjoy coverflow, I have a fullscreen coverflow on one desk running on wine and the sound enhancer that comes with iTunes sound really awesome on my dolby pro logic setup.

speedwell68
April 9th, 2009, 12:04 AM
I like better songbird, doest install so much crap like quicktime (in windows) and ipod stuff. I use songbird now in linux and vista (rarely), i ported all my music to linux.

I have an iPod Shuffle, I didn't buy it intentionally, I was after a player and someone offered it to me very cheap.:D I like Songbird because it isn't bloated like iTunes and it is a truly cross platform app. At work we have XP, Vista and OSX machines and all 3 of my own computers run Ubuntu, so with Songbird I can use the same interface to access my iPod, regardless of what OS it is running.

I don't buy that many MP3s, I have a massive CD collection, so I rip my own using SoundJuicer. If I do buy commercial MP3s I use Amazon, all of their stuff is DRM free, cheaper than iTunes and they have great Ubuntu support.

lyceum
April 9th, 2009, 03:40 PM
Looks like Microsoft already plans to invade the netbook market...
http://www.neowin.net/news/main/09/04/08/windows-7-and-netbooks---where-are-we-now

Yes, but as many blogers have pointed out, Netbooks are already using Ubuntu - for free. There are many who think the Netbook OS was will be between Ubuntu and Android (Google), that MS has already lost. Shuttleworth shares his thoughts in an article I have already linked to in this thread. He points out that Ubuntu/Canonical will be changing all comers in the Netbook market. He plans to win that war. I hope he does.

d0b33
April 9th, 2009, 04:06 PM
Yes, but as many blogers have pointed out, Netbooks are already using Ubuntu - for free. There are many who think the Netbook OS was will be between Ubuntu and Android (Google), that MS has already lost. Shuttleworth shares his thoughts in an article I have already linked to in this thread. He points out that Ubuntu/Canonical will be changing all comers in the Netbook market. He plans to win that war. I hope he does.

True but the FOSS movement does not hold influence the way Microsoft does, Microsoft will make things difficult for FOSS by not playing fair.

Most people are indoctrinated enough that if they had a choice between foss and Windows they'd choose windows, even those who buy the Foss netbooks will probably just pirate windows.

lyceum
April 10th, 2009, 05:01 PM
True but the FOSS movement does not hold influence the way Microsoft does, Microsoft will make things difficult for FOSS by not playing fair.

Most people are indoctrinated enough that if they had a choice between foss and Windows they'd choose windows, even those who buy the Foss netbooks will probably just pirate windows.

I can't argue wit that. HP is, or has, made a GUI to go over Ubuntu. So, it runs Ubuntu - but the users see their nice looking, easy to use GUI. I guess HP can play "dirty" too. And, they are big enough to win - they seem to have the cheapest nice PCs, and are really big on watching/cutting costs. (Irony - they are a feature in MS's new anti-mac ad.) In the end, if more people demand Windows, they will get it. But, until then, Ubuntu has a real chance there, which is a great foot in the door, which could lead to iTunes on Linux.

To make something impossible, all one must do is first say it cannot be so, then deny it when the idea becomes a reality. To make something possible is harder, as one must work to make it happen.

d0b33
April 16th, 2009, 01:20 PM
Ok so I found this petition online...

There are nearly 18,000 signatures, so what would the odds be if we could get it up to 50,000 - 100,000 signatures?

Apple would surely have to pay attention no?

Skripka
April 16th, 2009, 01:27 PM

No.

jrothwell97
April 16th, 2009, 03:01 PM
I think what is more likely (as long as we keep pressure up on them) is for Apple to provide an API for the iTunes Store (seeing as the audio section is DRM-free now, it shouldn't be too much of a problem) and syncing with iPods. Porting iTunes itself would be very difficult because it would involve porting the UI libraries, and then packaging and bug-testing on the hundreds of various distributions... therefore, in my opinion, it'd just be easier for them to release the API specifications.

That will only happen, though, if we ask them nicely to do so.

lyceum
April 17th, 2009, 12:12 PM
I think what is more likely (as long as we keep pressure up on them) is for Apple to provide an API for the iTunes Store (seeing as the audio section is DRM-free now, it shouldn't be too much of a problem) and syncing with iPods. Porting iTunes itself would be very difficult because it would involve porting the UI libraries, and then packaging and bug-testing on the hundreds of various distributions... therefore, in my opinion, it'd just be easier for them to release the API specifications.

That will only happen, though, if we ask them nicely to do so.

That is not true. I am sure that FOSS music players do not test on every distro, that would be too hard. There is standardization in FOSS now. That would make it easier. As long as it worked on Ubuntu, Fedora and SuSE, it should be fine. Really they just need to test it with Gnome, KDE and Xfce. They wouldn't even need to pack it in repos, they could just let people download it as a .deb or what ever.

chris.olive
April 28th, 2009, 05:53 PM
???

I also listen to classical. The closest I get to pop is NIN. I use Amarok and it is way better than iTunes (IMO). Now, I do not use Amarok to shop, but you can use iPodslave to sync it to your iPod, just look in Synaptic Package Manager. And Linux does not have the issue, FOSS does. Linux is just the kernel. Just wondering (if you are still here to answer) how many different music players did you try? If you have an iPod, check this out:

http://www.ubuntux.org/ipod-vs-ubuntu-the-struggle-for-perfect-synchronization

If not, it is still a good list of the best music players on a FOSS system.
Yes still arund, I have been trying to get Amarok,Rhythem box and others to play R/box works after a fashion, But, Amarox refuses to.
Even after going thrugh 'sticky' and downloading all the codics I can find.
Dont have an iplayer but would buy an Archos instead.
The main problem I find with Linux players compaired to WMP is with WMP load a disk, Rip in most cases up comes the track info, cover etc. No effort on my part and it stores them all in a file showing covers etc, yes it may be a big program but shurely the odd one is OK?
As an aside have downloaded Jaunty much nicer and office 3 and Kontact big improvements.

lyceum
April 29th, 2009, 12:02 AM
Yes still arund, I have been trying to get Amarok,Rhythem box and others to play R/box works after a fashion, But, Amarox refuses to.
Even after going thrugh 'sticky' and downloading all the codics I can find.
Dont have an iplayer but would buy an Archos instead.
The main problem I find with Linux players compaired to WMP is with WMP load a disk, Rip in most cases up comes the track info, cover etc. No effort on my part and it stores them all in a file showing covers etc, yes it may be a big program but shurely the odd one is OK?
As an aside have downloaded Jaunty much nicer and office 3 and Kontact big improvements.

The latest Amorok is in there too, but I have not tried it. Do you like winamp? It is availble w/ WINEdoors

Namtabmai
April 29th, 2009, 12:12 AM
Ok so I found this petition online...

There are nearly 18,000 signatures, so what would the odds be if we could get it up to 50,000 - 100,000 signatures?

Nearly 400,000 people in the U.K. but down their religion as Jedi in 2001 and yet it still didn't have any impact on it becoming an official religion.

Just because a lot of people ask for something doesn't mean they'll get it.

scottuss
April 29th, 2009, 12:12 AM

Edit:
link to petition...

They can keep that steaming pile of bloated DRM infested cash cow you know what...

bfc
April 29th, 2009, 12:22 AM
Nearly 400,000 people in the U.K. but down their religion as Jedi in 2001 and yet it still didn't have any impact on it becoming an official religion.

Unless something drastically changes, Apple will never port anything to Linux, since doing so acknowledges Linux as an OS alternative, something which Apple will never do. The only reason Apple releases software for Windows is because of it's 90% marketshare.

d0b33
April 29th, 2009, 11:01 AM

They did it for the lulz I'm sure, most of them were not serious and probably not religious.

scottuss
April 29th, 2009, 05:18 PM

That's because the census has nothing to do with establishing "official" religions. If you believe that what the majority want and religion go hand in hand.... well.....

Simian Man
April 29th, 2009, 05:22 PM
Linux apps work way better with my iPod than itunes. I hate all of their features like automatic syncing, "Genius" (I still have no idea what the hell that means), and automatic playlists and stuff. They make it way more complicated than it needs to be.

aysiu
April 29th, 2009, 05:59 PM
Linux apps work way better with my iPod than itunes. I hate all of their features like automatic syncing, "Genius" (I still have no idea what the hell that means), and automatic playlists and stuff. They make it way more complicated than it needs to be.
Do Linux apps work way better with an iPhone, too?

Simian Man
April 29th, 2009, 06:02 PM
Do Linux apps work way better with an iPhone, too?

That's a good point. I just wanted to give some love to the Linux iPod support which, for my model, works better than iTunes for what I want it to do.

lyceum
April 29th, 2009, 07:37 PM
Unless something drastically changes, Apple will never port anything to Linux, since doing so acknowledges Linux as an OS alternative, something which Apple will never do. The only reason Apple releases software for Windows is because of it's 90% marketshare.

Yeah, that is just like the fact that big name PC makers will never sell any computers with FOSS. Except Dell, and HP, and ASUS, and ... well you get the point - never say never ;)

I don't want iTunes, but it is always good to have options :)

aysiu
April 29th, 2009, 08:00 PM
Yeah, that is just like the fact that big name PC makers will never sell any computers with FOSS. Except Dell, and HP, and ASUS, and ... well you get the point - never say never ;)

I don't want iTunes, but it is always good to have options :)
Except who has said the big name PC makers will never sell computers with FOSS?

calrogman
April 29th, 2009, 09:09 PM
0/0. Oh shi-

djdarrin91
April 30th, 2009, 05:57 AM
I agree,I never really cared for itunes either.

lyceum
April 30th, 2009, 11:55 AM
Except who has said the big name PC makers will never sell computers with FOSS?

When I first got into FOSS I remember reading things about "the year of Linux" and people would say that was never going to happen and give their list of reasons why big names like Dell, HP, etc would never carry machines with FOSS distros. Even when Dell asked people what they wanted, there were people that said they would not really put Ubuntu on machines. Never say never.

First, margins on PC’s are razor-thin.

This has two significant consequences. Most importantly, it means that Microsoft co-marketing funds are a substantial portion of the profit margins for many large PC retailers. Tweaking the nose of the giant might be fun but it’s risky. If Microsoft reduces the per-PC marketing contribution it makes for a particular reseller, that puts them at a huge financial disadvantage relative to their competitors. This means that one of the biggest issues a computer manufacturer or reseller faces in considering Linux pre-installations is the impact it will have on the Microsoft relationship, and hence bottom line.

Also, thin margins mean that any customer interaction or support call can blow away the profit not just on that sale, but on many others as well. The worst-case scenario is a customer who buys a computer at the lowest price off your website, assuming it’s a Windows machine, and then calls, infuriated, because it “won’t work with the game they are trying to install”. One customer who accidentally gets Linux without knowing what that means is an expensive proposition for a company that makes relatively little on the low-end product range. For this reason, I don’t think it makes any sense for Walmart to sell low-cost Linux PC’s, and we’ve never pushed US / European retailers to try pre-installing Ubuntu unless we think they can segment out the market which genuinely WANTS Linux from those that are just looking for a great deal on “a [windows] computer”.

Second, we free software fans are a fussy crowd, and very hard to please. You know what you are like - you sit and configure that Dell system down to the finest detail, you want a specific model of HP laptop, you want the one that has the Intel graphics chipset not the other chipset because you prefer the free driver approach from Intel… you are in short an expert, demanding customer. This means, that in order to reach us with Linux, a reseller has to offer Linux EVERYWHERE, not just on a few select models.

Worse, we are not “Linux” users, we are users who want version 6.06.1 of Ubuntu, or 10.2 of SuSE, or Fedora 6. We want a specific distro, and in many cases also a specific VERSION of that distro. In order to please us, the vendor has to offer an enormous matrix of possibilities - machine and distro/version. - Mark Shuttleworth 2007

Mark was not saying never here, just that it would be hard. And he is right on the second one, the only reason I have not bought a Dell is because their offering is too small. They have the laptop I want, but not w/ Ubuntu.

murderslastcrow
May 14th, 2009, 03:04 AM
Some of you may have been Windows users back in 2003, and you may remember when "Hell froze over" and iTunes was ported to Windows.

I'm pretty sure that with current advances and increasing popularity in the netbook market, Linux will gain a wider audience. I think the real question is not whether Apple will port iTunes to Linux, per se.

I think it's more "will people choose a normal laptop with Windows over a netbook with Linux in favor of their iPod touch, or will Apple be forced to make a port to comply with the diversifying market?"

However, if Apple doesn't port anything, that's great. I'm sure there will be projects and drivers in the future to support iTouch/Phones, and that with each new innovation Apple makes, there will be a noteworthy alternative hardware to do the same job (as there always has been).

Just need to get more Linux into the hands/minds of normal consumers and people might realize they don't care about a wheel on their media player anymore.

Corelogik
May 14th, 2009, 03:21 AM
I'd be happy if something else could use my iTunes library files so I don't have to re-create my playlists and such. I'd like to just drop my iTunes library folder into the new drive, point the app where it is and have it say "oh, ok here's your music and playlists".

Failing that, I wouldn't mind iTunes on Linux, I'm apparently one of the few that likes it. Especially if they keep all the import/burn functionality in it.

Will Apple ever do an iTunes for Linux, probably not.

gmmazlum
May 14th, 2009, 09:37 PM
I think the name's game is money... if you have the chance to get itunes in you linux, then you'll give a shot to an ipod, ipod touch or iphone, (if you not have one jet), and then you'll be browsing the apple site, and you'll be watching quicktime videos, then you'll find yourself shoping at apple store, and finnaly you'll end installing ubuntu in boot camp in a +$2000usd MacBook Pro thinking " yeah I beat Microsoft, finally get rid of them", but you're now under at Steve Jobs control...

Is like the guys who try to install linux in an iphone.. why spend 500 usd in a phone, when you can buy one laptop or pc for less money???

maflynn
May 20th, 2009, 12:29 PM
I agree with the majority of posters here that there's virtually no chance at all in apple porting it. I disagree with the folks who say its an awful app. I use it to sync my iPhone, and while they've added some questionable features lately I'm not about to call it bloated (yet). The integration of the itunes store, the ease of use is a major win. Since Apple has gone over to DRM free music, I can live without the majority of the functionality of iTunes. I can just copy my music over to my home partition and use another app. Syncing my iPhone will still require OSX though.

d0b33
May 25th, 2009, 11:11 AM
Syncing my iPhone will still require OSX though.

Or Windows... I sync using XP and virtualbox these days... all my music is located on my home partition already, mp3s though.

frup
May 25th, 2009, 11:28 AM
Well I own an ipod video 60GB and so does my GF (she's on her 3rd nano)

Neither of will buy another ipod until compatibility with Linux improves. My brother is in the same boat as me too.

d0b33
June 9th, 2009, 05:24 PM
Well.. now that OpenCL is official (snow leopard announcement) I think the odds of a linux version is stronger, if linux can support OpenCL natively apple will surely have an easier time porting itunes, safari etc.

aysiu
June 9th, 2009, 05:32 PM
if linux can support OpenCL natively apple will surely have an easier time porting itunes, safari etc. The main obstacles to Apple porting iTunes are not technical. They are sociological and economic.

Think about it another way. What would Apple gain by porting iTunes?

How many Linux users who do not currently have iPods or iPhones would purchase them because of a native Linux iTunes? My sense from many discussions on these forums is that Linux users who want iPods or iPhones already have purchased them, and the rest do not want iProducts. iTunes Linux will hardly generate a lot of extra sales for Apple.

chris.olive
February 17th, 2010, 06:01 PM
I have tried and quite like Songbird but why no ripper also all my WMA file's won't play.
However after looking around I would almost certainly buy an Archos 5 or 7 now.

arnab_das
February 17th, 2010, 06:07 PM
linux as of now doesnt really have the user base to make apple think of porting itunes to linux.

also, none of apple's products/softwares are open source. so even if it is ported i doubt if it would be open source stuff. as with everything linux, closed source stuff really doesnt 'work' with linux users. except of course if that thing is called flash or nvidia drivers :P

MasterNetra
February 17th, 2010, 06:32 PM
...What are the odds of it happening though?...

From Apple? Maybe if they stop making money off of it. Otherwise the day they open-source a money maker like itunes is the day when world peace is achieved.

aysiu
February 17th, 2010, 06:47 PM
as with everything linux, closed source stuff really doesnt 'work' with linux users. except of course if that thing is called flash or nvidia drivers :P Or Opera or Skype or DropBox... oh, wait, actually a lot of Linux users use closed source software.

I think you'll find the Stallmanesque purists are the minority:
The Unofficial 2009 Open- vs. Closed-Source Preference Poll (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1126223)

handy
February 17th, 2010, 07:07 PM
I love NeroLinux.

It's commercial, though it doesn't cost much, & it does it right for me.

handy
February 17th, 2010, 07:15 PM
I think you'll find the Stallmanesque purists are the minority ...

I'm not a fundamentalist, BUT, I do see that any extreme brings about an opposite reaction.

If the closed source people didn't exist, then we would not know about RMS & the FSF, as they would have no agenda.

The more extreme one side goes the more extreme the other side has to go in an effort to counter it.

Anyway, that's how I see it.

aysiu
February 17th, 2010, 07:19 PM
I'm not a fundamentalist, BUT, I do see that any extreme brings about an opposite reaction.

If the closed source people didn't exist, then we would not know about RMS & the FSF, as they would have no agenda.

The more extreme one side goes the more extreme the other side has to go in an effort to counter it.

Anyway, that's how I see it. Sure. I agree with everything you said.

My point was really that most Linux users seem to have no problem using closed source software. They may prefer open source, but they will also used closed source if that's the best option.

If Apple did port iTunes to Linux (a big if, by the way), I'm sure almost every Linux user with an iPhone or iPod Touch would install it just for the seamless functionality (even if they don't like the iTunes interface).

MasterNetra
February 17th, 2010, 07:28 PM

Anyway, that's how I see it.

And as I see it the best place to be near the middle. Its all about balance, as it is with everything. :)

dragos240
February 17th, 2010, 07:36 PM
I really don't think they would port it. Not on their priorities.

handy
February 17th, 2010, 07:49 PM
Sure. I agree with everything you said.

My point was really that most Linux users seem to have no problem using closed source software. They may prefer open source, but they will also used closed source if that's the best option.

I agree.

Though the usual problem of Linux & statistics is with us.

If Apple did port iTunes to Linux (a big if, by the way), I'm sure almost every Linux user with an iPhone or iPod Touch would install it just for the seamless functionality (even if they don't like the iTunes interface).

I own both a Mac & an iPod Touch, & boy would I like to be able to handle that stuff on Linux.

On a side note (I don't know if it has been bought up yet or not, as I haven't read all of this thread) something that I really don't like about Apple's handling of iTunes & OS X, (at least) is that they are implementing changes in their upgrades that are imposing/demanding their users to bow to their will.

As an example, if you are running the latest upgrade of iTunes, you must be running Safari to use it. Full Stop.

That is an imposition that I personally will not tolerate. Which means I had to roll back my iPod/iTunes upgrade, to the point where I don't have to use Safari.

In so doing, a pile of Apple marketing gets removed from iTunes in the process.

Marketroids come from another planet.

handy
February 17th, 2010, 07:59 PM
And as I see it the best place to be near the middle. Its all about balance, as it is with everything. :)

So what do those ambiguous words mean?

Do they mean that you don't make a statement one way or another?

Do they mean that you hide in the middle of the crowd?

Or do they mean that you are taking the Confucian middle path?

Unfortunately your words did not give us a succinct definition.

I know how hard it is to express our thoughts & feelings in words.

I'm not being personally critical, I'm just asking for a more clear definition of your statements?

aysiu
February 17th, 2010, 08:04 PM
On a side note (I don't know if it has been bought up yet or not, as I haven't read all of this thread) something that I really don't like about Apple's handling of iTunes & OS X, (at least) is that they are implementing changes in their upgrades that are imposing/demanding their users to bow to their will.

As an example, if you are running the latest upgrade of iTunes, you must be running Safari to use it. Full Stop.

That is an imposition that I personally will not tolerate. Which means I had to roll back my iPod/iTunes upgrade, to the point where I don't have to use Safari.

In so doing, a pile of Apple marketing gets removed from iTunes in the process. Every now and then I get tempted to go into the Apple ecosystem (especially since my wife is already neck-deep in it, so it'd make our lives easier to have us both there), but then I hear about what you just described or about Apple banning hackers from the App Store (http://news.cnet.com/8301-1023_3-10454364-93.html), and I'm very glad to be in the Ubuntu and Google ecosystems instead.

arnab_das
February 17th, 2010, 08:06 PM
Or Opera or Skype or DropBox... oh, wait, actually a lot of Linux users use closed source software.

I think you'll find the Stallmanesque purists are the minority:
The Unofficial 2009 Open- vs. Closed-Source Preference Poll (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1126223)

ah! :) on hindsight, if apple ever did port to linux, it would be popular. maybe it would popularise linux! simply coz of the no of users using iphone and ipod etc.

having said that, really dont think that is likely to happen. at least not anytime in the next few years, unless of course linux becomes REALLY popular.

aysiu
February 17th, 2010, 08:08 PM
ah! :) on hindsight, if apple ever did port to linux, it would be popular. maybe it would popularise linux! simply coz of the no of users using iphone and ipod etc.

having said that, really dont think that is likely to happen. at least not anytime in the next few years, unless of course linux becomes REALLY popular.
I've written about how Apple will probably never port iTunes to Linux:
Wake-up call: Apple won’t port iTunes to Linux (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/wake-up-call-apple-wont-port-itunes-to-linux/)

If Apple did do it, though, there'd be a lot more people I could switch to Linux in good conscience. I don't know a lot of computer gamers, but I know a ton of iPod Touch and iPhone owners with Windows problems.

arnab_das
February 17th, 2010, 08:21 PM
I've written about how Apple will probably never port iTunes to Linux:
Wake-up call: Apple won’t port iTunes to Linux (http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntucat/wake-up-call-apple-wont-port-itunes-to-linux/)

If Apple did do it, though, there'd be a lot more people I could switch to Linux in good conscience. I don't know a lot of computer gamers, but I know a ton of iPod Touch and iPhone owners with Windows problems.

very nice article there. i think the strongest thing about Linux is its community, its essentially the weakest thing about Linux as well. the community is what helps linux improve, fix bugs etc. and again, its the community which because of its phenomenally diverse opinion, makes it difficult to arrive at a unified opinion about anything really.

handy
February 17th, 2010, 09:09 PM
I think (& I'm often wrong in my thinking :)) that Apple won't port iTunes to Linux because Apple know, that its marketing (which iTunes is) will meet a great deal of resistance in the Linux community.

I can see that it is very likely that Apple find the Linux "mentality" to be the focal definition of its major enemy.

Freedom, in opposition to control.