PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] mail checker

nikkinakki
April 2nd, 2009, 06:17 PM
Hi, can someone tell me if exists a MAIL CHECKER for UBUNTU?? A software that periodically automatically checks my email and if mailbox contains new emails, the software show me a dialog box.
It exists for windows and for mac. Does exists for ubuntu, too?
Thank you for helping me,
Nino :popcorn:

Giblet5
April 2nd, 2009, 06:20 PM
Google is your friend. Search for "biff" and select one of thousands.

leonardo_neo
April 2nd, 2009, 06:37 PM
Hi, can someone tell me if exists a MAIL CHECKER for UBUNTU?? A software that periodically automatically checks my email and if mailbox contains new emails, the software show me a dialog box.
It exists for windows and for mac. Does exists for ubuntu, too?
Thank you for helping me,
Nino :popcorn:

Do you mean "mail client" ?? If yes, then you can run 'evolution' or 'thunderbird'.

nikkinakki
April 2nd, 2009, 06:48 PM
No, i don't mean Mail Client. I'd like a software that runs in hide mode, check email every 10 seconds and if there are new emails a window appears and tell me "NEW EMAIL". Thank you,
Nino

nikkinakki
April 2nd, 2009, 06:49 PM
Google is your friend. Search for "biff" and select one of thousands.

It seems that searching BLIFF no results are good for me. Can you give me a software's name please?

leonardo_neo
April 2nd, 2009, 06:57 PM
No, i don't mean Mail Client. I'd like a software that runs in hide mode, check email every 10 seconds and if there are new emails a window appears and tell me "NEW EMAIL". Thank you,
Nino

OK. Well here is what I do. I configured my gmail with evolution, and it notifies me with a sound and flash on desktop.

For rest of the other mails, I configured them on pidgin. Pidgin doesn't give and sound notification, but it is there on the taskbar and changes its color, whenever a new mail arrives.

I never used it though, but there is a package called "mail-notification". It is supposed to configured with many email accounts, and notify you whenever you get a new mail.

:)

Jimmynemo2
April 2nd, 2009, 08:07 PM
If you use gmail, use add-remove and install gmail checker. Sits in system tray, has an envelope. if you get mail, envelope turns red and give small 5 second popup showing who its from and first line or two.

I love it. Just dont think it works for non gmail...

Giblet5
April 2nd, 2009, 08:38 PM
It seems that searching BLIFF no results are good for me. Can you give me a software's name please?

Not "BLIFF".

BIFF

There are many MANY email notifiers available. They're easy to write too. You can do it with a command line and telnet.

Evolution has a notifier plugin.
Thunderbird has notifier plugins.

What's your preferred email client?

If you're using Scalix web mail, you'll find what you need on the Scalix forums.