PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Triple boot - ubuntu, xp and Acronis recovery zone

makada
April 2nd, 2009, 05:05 PM
I have a laptop with windows xp professional sp3 installed and also having acronis recovery zone partition. When I turn on my laptop after the BIOS screen, Acronis boots with option of booting into recovery secure zone or windows. So far so good.

I have tried ubuntu dual boot with win xp on my desktop and am happy about it....so am looking to installing ubuntu also on my laptop. But I am apprehensive that if I install ubuntu, it will boot into grub and I will be given option of win xp or ubuntu without acronis option . How do I ensure that I install ubuntu making sure that I have still the option of booting into my acronis recovery secure zone...god forbid my win xp doesnot boot?

Mark Phelps
April 3rd, 2009, 10:06 PM
The concern I would have is not the Ubuntu side, it's the Acronis Recovery Zone. I don't know exactly how that works, but it would need to map out some space on your drive to store image information. That might be inside your OS partition; it might be somewhere else. Either way, resizing partitions to make room for Ubuntu runs the risk of "breaking" Acronis recovery.

My suggestion would be to go the the Acronis forum and seek their advice on what you're trying to do. The link is below:
http://www.wilderssecurity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=64

Choose the Acronis True Image product line entry.

Good Luck.

makada
April 4th, 2009, 11:00 AM
Thanks for the suggestion...will do that