April 2nd, 2009, 04:51 PM
I have a p4 2.4 ghz with 533 buss
how much improved will be my desktop if
I upgrade cpu from 2.4 to 3.06ghz
I upgrade memory from 1 gb ddr333 to 2 gb ddr400

I noticed it getting slow compared to an duo core 2 ghz

Yashiro
April 2nd, 2009, 05:04 PM
It depends what you need the computer to do.

If you find it's all getting a bit slow try changing to Xubuntu or Lubuntu the next time you change the operating system.

aeiah
April 2nd, 2009, 06:09 PM
unless you really need the raw power for video encoding or something, i wouldnt bother. as was suggested, you'd probably get a better experience from using a lighter distro. xubuntu should be fine if you find ubuntu sluggish but you could go lighter. i think crunchbang is great, although the default theme may put you off. its based on ubuntu so under the hood its really just the same.

2.4 to 3ghz isnt a massive step up. id just wait a while and buy a new motherboard/cpu/ram bundle to stick in your case if you really cant manage with what you've got. it'll save you money in the long term.

binbash
April 2nd, 2009, 06:11 PM
you should upgrade to 2gb ram if you want to use virtualbox or vmware

mips
April 2nd, 2009, 06:17 PM
RAM should make a bigger difference than the CPU. Also try a lighter DE like others suggested. Base Ubuntu with vanilla XFCE. The Xubuntu implementation is heavy imho.

infoseeker
April 2nd, 2009, 06:21 PM
I had a 3GHz P4 CPU which started rebooting on its own for no apparent reason. All I could find in the spares box was an old 2.4 GHz P4. I found very little speed difference. The biggest improvement I felt was when I upgraded my RAM from 384MB to 1GB. I then later changed to a Core2 Duo, which I'm currently using.

wolfen69
April 2nd, 2009, 06:30 PM
crunchbang linux will fly on your computer. save your money for a new computer.