PDA

View Full Version : Help!! Found Abandoned Baby Kittens

sharathpaps
April 2nd, 2009, 04:43 PM
Hey,
I do believe that this forum has a large population of cat lovers judging by previous threads. I'd like your advice regarding this situation.

My brother found a couple of abandoned baby kittens. We did not want them to die and so decided to adopt them. One of them has a wound around the neck while the other seems ok. Both are dirty and infested with fleas though. They're so small that their hind legs can barely take their weight. Right now, we're using milk sweetened with a little sugar and fortified with multivitamin drops and using droppers and syringes to feed them but they are very reluctant feeders. Giving them a bath is out of question because that alone can kill them. Do you have any idea as to what we can do to help them? I'll add some pics soon.

ninjapirate89
April 2nd, 2009, 04:45 PM
Take them to a vet.

chucky chuckaluck
April 2nd, 2009, 04:47 PM
good for you for taking them in. take them to a vet. they probably have worms which, if not taken care of, will kill them. they also probably have ear mites which is a miserable situation. if money is an issue for you, you may be able to find a free clinic near you. once their health is taken care, you should be in for many hours of entertainment. kittens are complete retards and do things you can't believe anyone would ever think of doing.

ninjapirate89
April 2nd, 2009, 04:49 PM
Lol. I guess that was a bit unhelpful and obvious but I thought that if they were in that poor of a condition then that is what would be best for them.

sharathpaps
April 2nd, 2009, 04:53 PM
@ninjapirate89 : I know..I'm sorry if I sounded rude. :-) buddies? :-)

@chuckychuckaluck : Hey, I did not think of worms. Maybe I'll deworm them when they are a little stronger.

Right now, I'm worried about their nutrition. They don't seem top be taking enough to stay alive.

GepettoBR
April 2nd, 2009, 04:58 PM
I'll be the third person to state the obvious: If one of them is wounded, and they both have fleas (which carry a myriad of diseases) they need to be properly examined, and that wound has to be cleaned, if you don't want them to die. Vet. ASAP.

Other than that, your reinforced milk diet seems like a good solution. Make sure they have a comfortable place to gettheir much needed sleep, make sure they aren't too cold and don't be overbearing or they'll feel opressed. If they absolutely don't want to eat, don't go shoving anything down their throats. Go away and try again in 5 or 10 minutes.

Best of luck!

ninjapirate89
April 2nd, 2009, 04:58 PM
@ninjapirate89 : I know..I'm sorry if I sounded rude. :-) buddies? :-)

You were right though, it was a somewhat unhelpful comment, Buddy!

chucky chuckaluck
April 2nd, 2009, 04:59 PM
Right now, I'm worried about their nutrition. They don't seem top be taking enough to stay alive.

i don't know what kind of resources you have where you are, but there are sites like this one that may give you some idea of what to look for - http://www.best-cat-tips.com/CatFood.htm

another thing i've alwayds heard is that really, really young kittens should be kept in a dark place (that may be a myth, so it might be worth checking).

suitedaces
April 2nd, 2009, 05:11 PM
Sorry I'm no help, but kudos to you for doing the right thing!

mips
April 2nd, 2009, 06:09 PM
I would suggest you take the kittens to your local SPCA or other animal welfare originasation. The SPCA will usually give them the required medical care without cost and have them spayed if they know the kittens are being adopted.

To those that can please donate to the SPCA, every little bit helps.

Kerala is a big state so I included all these... If it's to far to get to then maybe call the SPCA and ask them if they have mobile clinics doing the rounds and when they will be in your location.

SPCA Veterinary Hospital
Pmg Jn, Thiruvananthapuram, Kerala - 695033
Phone: 0471 - 2445165, 2442643

ALLEPPEY
Alappuzha SPCA
Dt. Veterinary Centre, Allapuzha
ALLEPPEY, Kerala, India.

ERNAKULAM
Karuna SPCA
Vety. Hospital Campus, Ramavarma Club Road, Ernakulam,
KOCHI - 682 011, Kerala, India.

KALPETTA
Wayanad SPCA
District Veterinary Centre,
Wayanad
KALPETTA - 673121, Kerala, India.

KOLLAM
Kollam SPCA
Dist.Vety.Centre Campus, Olai, Thevally
KOLLAM - 691 009, Kerala, India.

KOTTAYAM
Kottayam SPCA
'Kartika',Devalokam PO
KOTTAYAM - 686 038, Kerala, India.

MANJERI
Malappuram SPCA
Veterinary Poly Clinic, Malappuram
MANJERI - 676 121, Kerala, India.

PALGHAT
Palghat (Palakkad) SPCA
Veterinary Hospital Road
PALGHAT 678 001, Kerala, India.

TRICHUR
Ayyanthole SPCA
Koushthuhham, P.O. Fithruth
TRICHUR - 680 611, Kerala, India.

TRIVANDRUM
Thiruvananthapuram SPCA
Dt.Very.Centre (SPCA Hospital) P.M.G.Jnct, Thiruvananthapuram
TRIVANDRUM - 695 033, Kerala, India.

People for Animals- Kollam
MRA-11, Mundakkal (M),
Kollam-691001, Kerala, India
Phone: 0474-2747880
Email: pfakollam@yahoo.com

Animal Rescue Kerala (ARK)
Chanalkara Road, P.O. Kovalam,
Trivandrum, Kerala - 695523, India
Phone: 0471-2796202, 6451661
E-mail: info@animalrescuekerala.org, iarkerala@yahoo.co.uk
Website: www.animalrescuekerala.org (http://www.animalrescuekerala.org/)

sharathpaps
April 2nd, 2009, 06:19 PM
@mips : I'm amazed by what one can accomplish with google. You find addresses close to my house sitting half way around the globe. LOL. Anyway, getting to the point, the Trichur address is only a few kilometers from my apartment. I shall go there and see what help I can get. Thanks a lot guys. That's a lot of hard work :-) I'll keep you posted on what happens.

Yownanymous
April 2nd, 2009, 06:43 PM
Just to say - Good on you for adopting them, and I really hope they survive.

mips
April 2nd, 2009, 06:50 PM
@mips : I'm amazed by what one can accomplish with google.

Trichur address is only a few kilometers from my apartment.

Yeah, google is handy, especially if you know how to optimise searches.

If you said that you lived in Trichur I would have narrowed the results down for you, maybe even included a map :biggrin:

Sealbhach
April 2nd, 2009, 07:18 PM
I like kittens but I can only eat about three at a time.

amitabhishek
April 2nd, 2009, 07:27 PM
@Sarath: Being an animal lover myself I understand the pain you are taking for these orphaned kittens. I hope they will relish Kerala's fishes once recover :).

@Mips: Appreciate your time & effort for this...:p

sharathpaps
April 8th, 2009, 01:03 PM
Hello guys,
I just wanted to give you people an update on the kittens. They're alive and well. Very active and extremely naughty. We've also found someone who's ready to adopt the both of them.

I've named them Hardy and Fiesty. Not very original I know but I am inspired by Ubuntu and these forums :p

Thank you all very much:KS

Here's a pic. The quality is not that great bcoz I don't have a digicam yet.

suitedaces
April 8th, 2009, 01:04 PM
Brilliant! Congratulations, you did the right thing.

amitabhishek
April 8th, 2009, 01:27 PM
They look cute :D! I hope they will gain more weight over the period of time. Congrats dude!

GepettoBR
April 8th, 2009, 01:57 PM
How adorable! Congratulations on being a great person! I hope Feisty and Hardy grow well and remain feisty and hardy throughout their lives.

chucky chuckaluck
April 8th, 2009, 02:00 PM
cute. they're both looking hardy, though fiesty could turn into a party animal.