PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dual booting with CDROM?

J2R
April 2nd, 2009, 01:32 PM
I'm installing Ubuntu onto a machine which has Windows 2000 on it, to allow dual boot. The machine functions as a server, though, and has no keyboard, mouse or monitor (or at least won't have after I've finished the install!). What I want is to have the situation where if a specific CD is in the drive, it boots into one OS, otherwise it boots into the other. This is to make it simple for users - all they have to do is to stick the CD in the drive, reboot and they're in the other OS. How do I go about doing this? How do I configure a boot CD like this?

ronparent
April 2nd, 2009, 01:58 PM
If your bios is set to boot first to a cd, if present, then what you want will occur naturally with the ubuntu live cd. Just download the iso image from the ubustu site and burn it to the cd.

J2R
April 2nd, 2009, 02:21 PM
Won't this just boot the live CD? That's not what I want. I want the presence of the requisite CD in the drive to ensure that the Ubuntu installation on the second partition on my hard drive boots.

dandnsmith
April 2nd, 2009, 04:49 PM
One way would be to build yourself a CD which boots grub, and has a grub configuration to boot the Ubuntu installation.

This is slightly more difficult than a grub boot CD which needs to be hand-driven to tell it what to do.

J2R
April 2nd, 2009, 05:56 PM
Thanks, I'll take a look at grub boot CDs. I suppose what would be most flexible is if grub could look at a file on the first partition to determine what to boot - as opposed to burning this info to the CD.

J2R
April 2nd, 2009, 07:18 PM
[accidental repeat post removed]