PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] How to minimize mozilla thunderbird to tray?

dipaish
April 2nd, 2009, 06:08 AM
It's as simple as you have come to this forum.

First down this extension http://downloads.mozdev.org/moztraybiff/mozTrayBiff-1.2.3-tb2.0.0.0.xpi. (I always recommend to check the latest version)
Open your thunderbird .
Select tools >>>addons>>>>install>>>>point to the location you have saved the aboce file
Restart your mozilla thunderbird
Select tools >>>addons>>>>Under extension you will get new mail icon >>><click on preferences >>>check all 3 options.

That is what you need to minimize thunderbird to tray.

Now you can simply minimize you will get a tray icon and click on it.......Thats it simple and easy.

www.info123.org/tutorials

quickk
April 21st, 2009, 11:20 PM
I was wondering how to do this, and your info is helpful. However, the extension you mentioned does not quite do what I want. Is there a way to close thunderbird and still have it run in the backgroud (kind of like amarok?). It annoys me to have the minimized thunderbird showing in the task bar all the time.

BazookaAce
April 21st, 2009, 11:56 PM
+1 @ quickk

sjprice
April 22nd, 2009, 01:49 AM
Kdocker, in the repos. then I created an app launcher:

kdocker /home/<name>/thunderbird/thunderbird and it launches and then sits in the dock.

quickk
April 26th, 2009, 07:08 PM
Kdocker, in the repos. then I created an app launcher:

Fantastic! That's a great little application. I already had put a thunderbird launcher icon on my top panel so all that I needed to do was right click the icon, select "properties" and change the command from "thunderbird %u" to "kdocker thunderbird %u". Works like a charm!

Nuked
May 11th, 2009, 03:20 AM
Odd... am I missing something? When it launches it's already minimized to tray. I don't necessarily want it to be minimized to tray on launch, though I do want it to be when I actually minimize it.

This is using the kdocker app

Devi 710
May 20th, 2009, 09:33 PM
Thanks for the Kdocker tip! It's great.

Anyone know how to set it to show on the top panel from startup? Currently, I have to launch Thunderbird, minimize it to the bottom panel, then when I click to restore it, the top panel icon appears in the notification area.

I've tried the Kdocker options by right clicking the icon on the panel and choosing "Launch on startup" but the next time I launch Thunderbird the options are reset to default :(

Thanks,

Devi

Devi 710
May 20th, 2009, 09:36 PM
Actually being able to close to the panel and have Thunderbird run in the background like Banshee would be ideal. But I guess I shouldn't get too picky, the minimize button is only a few centimetres away.