PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Cannot enable compiz

chainsinthewall
April 2nd, 2009, 06:02 AM
Technically I'm a linux mint user, but from what I've read, its 94% ubuntu, so I figured I would try my luck here.

I have been trying for a couple of days to enable compiz on my laptop, but when I try, no go. I am trying to enable it through the Visual Effects tab of Appearance.

This isn't a really big problem, but I do love compiz and would like to get it working.

EDIT: I am using an Nvida GeForce Go 6150. I have installed the restricted drivers.

Therion
April 2nd, 2009, 06:03 AM
What kind of graphics card or integrated graphics chipset do you have in your laptop?

Not all chipsets support Compiz-Fusion.

chainsinthewall
April 2nd, 2009, 06:08 AM
sorry, should have posted that. I am using an Nvidia Geforce Go 6150. I know it supports Compiz because I used ubuntu on here about a year ago and Compiz worked fine.

Cybie257
April 2nd, 2009, 06:25 AM
I have an ATI card and had a problem with compiz with the proprietary drivers vs OpenSource.

I have dual monitors, so that even complicated more with the ATI drivers.

my point: try using the other if available. Not to familiar with the nVidia options.

-Cybie

mocoloco
April 2nd, 2009, 06:31 AM
I've had problems where I've messed up compiz with my tinkering. Go in to ~/.gconf/apps (Open your home folder, hit Ctrl+L, type or paste that in). Delete the compiz folder in there. Log out and back in, then try enabling desktop effects again.

chainsinthewall
April 2nd, 2009, 07:18 AM
I've had problems where I've messed up compiz with my tinkering. Go in to ~/.gconf/apps (Open your home folder, hit Ctrl+L, type or paste that in). Delete the compiz folder in there. Log out and back in, then try enabling desktop effects again.
No luck with that, unfortunatly.

Therion
April 2nd, 2009, 01:56 PM
sorry, should have posted that. I am using an Nvidia Geforce Go 6150.
And you have the nVidia Restricted Driver enabled in the Hardware Driver Manager?

scubabuddy
April 2nd, 2009, 05:39 PM
I'm having a very similar problem with ubuntu Intrepid, except that compiz worked, then i shut my computer down for a week over spring break, came back to it and it doesn't work. I get the "Desktop effects could not be enabled" error when i try to use normal or extra in the visual effects tab of appearance (it was previously set to extra and running fine)

typing compiz in terminal gives:

Checking for Xgl: not present.
Detected PCI ID for VGA:
Checking for texture_from_pixmap: not present.
Trying again with indirect rendering:
Checking for texture_from_pixmap: not present.
aborting and using fallback: /usr/bin/metacity
Window manager warning: "" found in configuration database is not a valid value for keybinding "panel_main_menu"

chainsinthewall
April 2nd, 2009, 07:45 PM
And you have the nVidia Restricted Driver enabled in the Hardware Driver Manager?

Yes, I have installed them through both the Restricted Drivers gui, and envy from the terminal.