PDA

View Full Version : What Are Your Favourite File Managers?

Christmas
April 2nd, 2009, 02:21 AM
I want to make a review of file managers on Linux, and, in the spirit of the other poll about text editors (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1113409), I'd like to know what file managers are the favourite ones for the fellow K/X/Ubuntu users.

My personal preference is a mix between Konqueror (in KDE3) with Dolphin and Konqueror in KDE4 and rarely Xfe.

sowelie
April 2nd, 2009, 02:23 AM
I think Thunar is the best...it is very clean and simple. I wish GNOME would adopt it. Nautilus is much less customizable and extremely ugly. The only down side of Thunar (last I knew) was the lack of file share support.

cardinals_fan
April 2nd, 2009, 02:23 AM
mc

/thread

smartboyathome
April 2nd, 2009, 02:24 AM
PCManFM for sure. I can't stand tabless Thunar, nor bloated Nautilus.

ninjapirate89
April 2nd, 2009, 02:25 AM
I've only used Nautilus...so...

Vadi
April 2nd, 2009, 02:34 AM
Nautilus. Bookmarks, gvfs, I see no reason to switch.

loell
April 2nd, 2009, 02:38 AM
pcmanfm, swift execution with tabs, a user coming from gnome will surely like it.

mc4100
April 2nd, 2009, 02:38 AM
Thunar, I think. (But like smartboyathome, I find its lack of tabs a glaring deficiency.)

Tux Aubrey
April 2nd, 2009, 02:42 AM
Frankly, I'm not too happy with any of them. Windows Explorer is far better than any of the Linux alternative I've tried. I'm sticking with Thunar at the moment although I regret the lack of network browsing in particular.

Dr Small
April 2nd, 2009, 02:44 AM
ls and cd. Enough said.

RiceMonster
April 2nd, 2009, 02:50 AM
Thunar. It's simple, stable, works very well, and it's integrated with Xfce. I don't need tabs in a file manager, so I don't have any use for pcmanfm. I also have no use for a CLI file manager. In the CLI, i'd rather just use plain commands like cp, mv, rm, etc.

ls and cd. Enough said.

Ha, well said.

swoll1980
April 2nd, 2009, 02:56 AM
I like Nautilus. A lot of people will call it, and Ubuntu for that matter, bloated, but with my very modest 2.66 northwood, and 1 GiB RAM, they are very snappy.

PurposeOfReason
April 2nd, 2009, 02:57 AM
vifm for when I need to see a layout a bit more than ls can give.

doorknob60
April 2nd, 2009, 03:00 AM
Pcmanfm FTW! Dolphin is probably second, followed by anything else. They all work well for me.

Greg
April 2nd, 2009, 04:02 AM
PCManFM for full stuff, MC for CLI, basic CLI commands for small stuff.

SuperSonic4
April 2nd, 2009, 04:05 AM
Dolphin because it has F3 for two folders (good for copy/paste), F4 for terminal (saves cd) and tabs too. Plus root actions on right click such as "open as root"

Krusader is second for dual panel

Command Line for a lot of other things

b@sh_n3rd
April 2nd, 2009, 04:10 AM
I've used only nautilus, though on at least two of my systems its rather slow. But i tend to run on CLI and so enjoy using those commands...

Tomone
April 2nd, 2009, 05:43 AM
I use thunar and mc. I like nautilus itself better than thunar, but it drags along too much other stuff with it.

Phreaker
April 2nd, 2009, 05:49 AM
Nautilis and mc

itsStephen
April 2nd, 2009, 05:54 AM
Dolphin for sure

MikeTheC
April 2nd, 2009, 05:59 AM
Finder 9.1...

walkerk
April 2nd, 2009, 06:08 AM
Thunar and PCManFM... though a tabbed filemanager doesn't do it for me. Now tabs in the terminal... a must have.

adamlau
April 2nd, 2009, 06:33 AM
Thunar and no other. PCManFM if I have to.

Trail
April 2nd, 2009, 08:11 AM
Clearly and only Dolphin.

(though Nautilus is not bad either)

pt123
April 2nd, 2009, 08:45 AM
easily Nautilus
non cluttered UI, works nicely with samba shares and pretty too

spupy
April 2nd, 2009, 09:23 AM
Awww, no love for Rox? :mad:

It so much faster. Has awesome desktop/window managing capabilities suitable for Flux/Openbox. It is very minimalistic yet has the functions I need.

It is controllable with SOAP RPC, which allows me write awesome scripts for my desktop.
And many more little things that make me love it. :)

Mark76
April 2nd, 2009, 09:26 AM
I love ROX as well ):P

So much so, that I even let it look after my desktop. :D

Care to share some of those scripts?

spupy
April 2nd, 2009, 09:55 AM
I love ROX as well ):P

So much so, that I even let it look after my desktop. :D

Care to share some of those scripts?

Well, I'm not sure you will be able to apply them to your desktop:

- While the music player (mpd+sonata) is playing music, three icons for controlling it appear along the top of my screen - prev, play/pause, next. And the play/pause icon shows in real time whether it is playing or pause. Kind of like a mini music player integrated into the desktop. (Also use conky to complement that setup).
- I got an improvised dock of icons along the bottom of the screen. Each 30 mins a script checks my 2 gmail boxes. If I got any unread mail, the icon that start thunderbird display the number of new emails in a blue dot (like the mail icon in OS X does). The icon for the calendar shows the current date. The icon for the programs folder displays the available upgrades the same way as the mail icon. The icon that starts the feed reader used to display the unread count, but it was very unaccurate, so I turned it off.

Also, do you know about the minimized icons feature? When you turn it on (Options->Iconified windows), windows that are minimized or on other desktop appear as single-click icons of sorts on the desktop. I use it very much since I don't have a taskbar.

Mark76
April 2nd, 2009, 10:18 AM
I could use the mpd/sonata one.

I use the iconify windows option in lieu of either tasklist (makes the panel too wide) or tasktray (too many Gnome dependencies).

Your improvised dock sounds interesting.

anaconda
April 2nd, 2009, 10:31 AM
well..
I am almost ashamed to admid, BUT

Kröhöm...

Windows comes with a very good filemanager. I wish ubuntu would have something similar..

In ubuntu I prefer nautilus.

I used some time to try to search filemanagers for linux. I tried atleast these: Dolphin, konqueror, thunar,and some others.. but none of them was as good as what windows had.

Eisenwinter
April 2nd, 2009, 10:32 AM
ls and cd. Enough said.
+1.

I prefer to manage files through the terminal, it's faster and more efficient.

As far as the graphical file managers go, I've used Thunar, Nautilus, PCManFM, and another one for which I can't remember the name.

They all felt quite the same, really.

haemulon
April 2nd, 2009, 10:45 AM
I like Thunar best, it's simple, stable, and predictable.

I tried Rox but I found it so annoying after awhile.

It would always create symbolic links to other text files that messed everything up, and I didn't know what was what.

Trying to copy (duplicate) files with it is a nightmare.

It had alot going for it, but it shouldn't try so hard to be so different.

I stay with Thunar, I like the simplicity of it.

itreius
April 2nd, 2009, 10:45 AM
PCManFM

Mark76
April 2nd, 2009, 10:59 AM
I tried Rox but I found it so annoying after awhile.

It would always create symbolic links to other text files that messed everything up, and I didn't know what was what.

Trying to copy (duplicate) files with it is a nightmare.

It had alot going for it, but it shouldn't try so hard to be so different.

I stay with Thunar, I like the simplicity of it.

Copying files in ROX is easy. Just make sure that show a menu of possible actions is the default setting for the left mouse button (Options > Drag and Drop). Then, when you drag a file with the left mouse button held down, it should give you a menu of options (Copy, Move, Link (relative) and Link (absolute).

Easypeasy ;)

.Maleficus.
April 2nd, 2009, 12:14 PM
I originally voted for Thunar, but decided to try out PCManFM.

Bye Thunar :).

CraigPaleo
April 2nd, 2009, 12:27 PM
Nautilus. I've only used Thunar and Dolphin besides Nautilus and they're okay but I love how Nautilus has enlarged preview media icons, making it much easier to recognize PDFs, pics, and movies of which I don't know the filenames.