PDA

View Full Version : Help an app pick a good name, v2

Vadi
April 2nd, 2009, 02:15 AM
I need some help from the community again to pick a non-crappy name for an app.

What will it do: The app will deal with the administration side of packages - so creating them, updating, uploading to a PPA and whatnot.

Why: such that developers, theme makers, and everyone else doesn't have to learn the whole packaging process can make a package for their ubuntu users to install. Ubuntu could of course always use more MOTUs, but I'm sure people (like me) for various reasons need an easy to use app that cares about quality to create packages and manage PPAs.

Apps that do this already / names taken: debcreator, Debian Package Maker. Both are buggy and have no releases for nearly a year - so there is zero duplication going on.

So, let me know if you have any good names to go with. I was thinking to go with pm+ initially, as it's pronounceable and makes sense (package maker plus) - but the name is already taken.

smartboyathome
April 2nd, 2009, 02:29 AM
how about debadmin?

doorknob60
April 2nd, 2009, 02:56 AM
DEBmaker? I dunno, I'm not that creative :P I would've really liked this in my Ubuntu days though, I never figured out how to make debs. PKGBUILDs for Arch are simple though :)

MaxIBoy
April 2nd, 2009, 03:09 AM
DEBit

DEBit card

DEBoner

DEBowner

DEBate

DEButante

DEBonair

DEBatable

Sinkingships7
April 2nd, 2009, 03:57 AM
debmaster

3rdalbum
April 2nd, 2009, 04:13 AM
Packer

Packageit

Gypu (because it helps you to Get Your Programs Up)

Pack And Send (it's the name of a company here who packs goods and sends them through the mail for you, but the name is apt)

Vadi
April 2nd, 2009, 04:16 AM
Just a note, it's okay to use a name that doesn't have "deb" in it and makes no sense whatsoever (like 'ubuntu', the african word for blah blah or fedora, a type of a hat).

MaxIBoy
April 2nd, 2009, 04:21 AM
Just a note, it's okay to use a name that doesn't have "deb" in it and makes no sense whatsoever (like 'ubuntu', the african word for blah blah or fedora, a type of a hat).WhaDEBer...

kpkeerthi
April 2nd, 2009, 07:09 AM
yappat - Yet Another PPA Tool

Russell Burrows
April 2nd, 2009, 07:40 AM
Just a note, it's okay to use a name that doesn't have "deb" in it and makes no sense whatsoever (like 'ubuntu', the african word for blah blah or fedora, a type of a hat).

Enhance

Phreaker
April 2nd, 2009, 08:08 AM
kreator

loell
April 2nd, 2009, 08:34 AM
easyrep? easyrepo? archi-pack? parchage!

sertse
April 2nd, 2009, 10:17 AM
Does the app exist somewhere? I wanna try it :)

Personally, I use checkinstall atm, this looks useful,

lethalfang
April 2nd, 2009, 10:49 AM

Beacon

blueturtl
April 2nd, 2009, 11:07 AM
giftwrap

edit:

1) Because to me prepackaged software is essentially gift wrapped.
2) Because as a user of giftwrap or "gift wrapper" you are relieving people of the trouble of compiling a software package.

gnomeuser
April 2nd, 2009, 12:49 PM
Considering this a correctness app for what was tarballs and autoconf in the olden times. Youtar.

One could also consider such an application belts and suspenders for developers so how about Underwear (or Underware - I'll let you decide if it's magical)

alexandari
April 2nd, 2009, 12:57 PM
giftwrap

edit:

1) Because to me prepackaged software is essentially gift wrapped.
2) Because as a user of giftwrap or "gift wrapper" you are relieving people of the trouble of compiling a software package.

I like this one :) or maybe "gift opener" :D

Islington
April 2nd, 2009, 01:16 PM
Forge.

Vadi
April 2nd, 2009, 01:31 PM
I wish it was yappat! But afaik it's not.

I like giftwrap. I was thinking something too along those lines.