PDA

View Full Version : Browser ToolKit

WitchCraft
April 2nd, 2009, 01:30 AM
Hi, question:

I am writing a MAN 2 html converter to display man pages.
Now unzipping man pages in memory and converting them to html really is not a problem, but the problem is wxHTML only supports a very limited range of html tags.

Now I basically need to embed a browser in my application.
I tried Mozilla, unfortunately, this does not compile, and every attempt of me to correct the configure file / installing libraries failed.

Now I tried wxWebKit, which is very cool (once I got it compiling), apart from the fact that it is 230 MB in size... - as a dynamic library...

I need a WebKit/Browser in C++ that I can embed in my application (it should work on Windows, too).
Max size i would say about 10 MB, statically linked.

Anybody knows of a working alternative?

MaxIBoy
April 2nd, 2009, 02:23 AM
Try using gecko:
https://developer.mozilla.org/en/Gecko_Embedding_Basics
It's a rendering engine used by Firefox, Thunderbird, Galeon, Epiphany, and many more applications.

Vadi
April 2nd, 2009, 02:35 AM
Gecko or Webkit will both work for you.

smartboyathome
April 2nd, 2009, 02:37 AM
I'd recommend Webkit for this type of thing. Geck would weigh down your program a lot more than Webkit would, with not much benefits over Webkit in this situation.

Vadi
April 2nd, 2009, 02:40 AM
I'd chime in that Liferea is also switching from Gecko to Webkit for their next release.

Sinkingships7
April 2nd, 2009, 03:27 AM
I'm going to chime in with another vote for WebKit. Fast, as well as more lightweight than its contender, Gecko. As stated, there's no good reason for choosing the latter over the former.

WitchCraft
April 2nd, 2009, 05:13 PM
Fine, mozilla doesn't compile as already said, and webkit is very large.
I'm gonna use the source of kazehakase, it uses gecko, and it compiles.

Vadi
April 2nd, 2009, 05:16 PM
Um, interesting outcome. Good luck!