PDA

View Full Version : Favourite Text Editor?

Christmas
April 1st, 2009, 10:49 PM
Mine has to be Kate (I'm a KDE user) and eventually Emacs because I just love the shortcuts.

What are your favourite text editors? (multiple choices, eventually give an explanation on why you use them)

Mehall
April 1st, 2009, 10:51 PM
Nano

chris4585
April 1st, 2009, 10:53 PM
gedit and nano here

albinootje
April 1st, 2009, 10:54 PM
Joe is my favorite text editor.

OutOfReach
April 1st, 2009, 10:55 PM
Kate, not because I'm using KDE, because it is actually good.

jenkinbr
April 1st, 2009, 10:58 PM
Gedit for heavy code editing (very configurable, but takes a few seconds to start on my older hardware)

Leafpad for general, quick edits (extreamly lightweight)

Nano for cli edits

Peasantoid
April 1st, 2009, 11:00 PM
Geany for coding and Vim for command-line editing (oops, forgot to vote for it).

adamlau
April 1st, 2009, 11:01 PM
medit followed by Mousepad (I don't like how Leapad does find and replace).

apmcd47
nedit - being Motif it's easier to install on commercial Unices than editors based on gtk+ or qt; superb search/replace; tabbed; multiple instances by using nc ...

Andrew

danbuter
Gedit with plugins.

-grubby
April 1st, 2009, 11:06 PM
Vim, Kate, Geany, and Geany (It's on there twice).

RiceMonster
April 1st, 2009, 11:15 PM
Vim for code and config files (I voted vim).

Mousepad for quick notes, edits, etc.

hessiess
April 1st, 2009, 11:20 PM
Vim for everything (including documents (LaTeX), HTML etc) ;)

Simian Man
April 1st, 2009, 11:21 PM
vim, though I occasionally use kate too.

mcduck
April 1st, 2009, 11:26 PM
Gedit. Its something even beginners are able to use without problems, yet able to transmorph into feature-rich text editor/development environment with ridiculous amounts of tools and features.

That's something you don't see too often.

(I have to admit, it's not the most lightweight, and it's not the most powerful, but it's plugins make it highly customizeable to fit your exact needs. Kind of like the Firefox of text editors.. :D)

I think I still have somewhere a screenshot in which I'm surfing the net and playing music inside Gedit. Take that, emacs people. You are not the only ones being able to use text editor for tasks text editors should never be used for. :D

jenkinbr
April 1st, 2009, 11:29 PM
Whoa! Music in gedit? That's going nuts now...

dragos240
April 1st, 2009, 11:32 PM
gedit and nano!

apmcd47
April 1st, 2009, 11:44 PM
Gedit. Its something even beginners are able to use without problems, yet able to transmorph into feature-rich text editor/development environment with ridiculous amounts of tools and features.

Has it changed so much? Last time I used gedit it wasn't much more than Windows notepad with tabs!

Andrew

Simian Man
April 1st, 2009, 11:46 PM
Has it changed so much? Last time I used gedit it wasn't much more than Windows notepad with tabs!

Andrew

That's how it looks by default. You must go into preferences and turn on plugins (many of which must be installed separately). It's a powerful editor in the guise of a simple one.

jenkinbr
April 1st, 2009, 11:46 PM

Andrew
When was the last time you used Gedit?

By default, that's what gedit looks like, but after changing some settings in preferences, it becomes a whole lot more then "windows Notepad with tabs".

*searches for a blog I recently read...*

stchman
April 1st, 2009, 11:48 PM
vi and any derivative sucks. I despise vi.

jenkinbr
April 1st, 2009, 11:49 PM
When was the last time you used Gedit?

By default, that's what gedit looks like, but after changing some settings in preferences, it becomes a whole lot more then "windows Notepad with tabs".

*searches for a blog I recently read...*
Guess I didn't have to go far.

Just started typing it in.

Customizing Gedit as a Web Developer's IDE (http://www.micahcarrick.com/09-29-2007/gedit-html-editor.html)

stchman
April 1st, 2009, 11:49 PM
Gedit for heavy code editing (very configurable, but takes a few seconds to start on my older hardware)

Leafpad for general, quick edits (extreamly lightweight)

Nano for cli edits

Geany is far superior for code editing than Gedit. Geany features function list and compiler shortcut. I prefer Gedit for script editing though.

RiceMonster
April 1st, 2009, 11:50 PM
vi and any derivative sucks. I despise vi.

Here we go...

hessiess
April 1st, 2009, 11:50 PM

Andrew

It has syntax hi lighting and auto indent without any plug ins, so beats MS notepad any day.

stchman
April 1st, 2009, 11:51 PM

Andrew

Obviously, Gedit has syntax highlighting and other cool stuff.

jenkinbr
April 1st, 2009, 11:51 PM
Geany is far superior for code editing than Gedit. Geany features function list and compiler shortcut. I prefer Gedit for script editing though.

In case you missed it...

Guess I didn't have to go far.

Just started typing it in.

Customizing Gedit as a Web Developer's IDE (http://www.micahcarrick.com/09-29-2007/gedit-html-editor.html)

hessiess
April 1st, 2009, 11:52 PM

Geany wastes too much screen space ;).

Dr Small
April 2nd, 2009, 12:32 AM
Vim is the only text editor that I use and love.

spupy
April 2nd, 2009, 12:37 AM
Geany for heavier editing/code. Vim for fast CLI editing.
Leafpad for viewing text files.

Geany wastes too much screen space ;).

This is how my geany looks, btw.

schauerlich
April 2nd, 2009, 01:01 AM
Flamewar and move to Recurring Discussions in 3.... 2.... 1....

tjwoosta
April 2nd, 2009, 01:34 AM
geany is on there twice

i voted geany twice

Dr Small
April 2nd, 2009, 01:36 AM
I actually just installed Geany, and may use it sometime when I get back into me programming mood.

Chilli Bob
April 2nd, 2009, 04:40 AM
Once I tried Geany, anything else feels like a toy, though I still use nano for CLI editing.

SuperSonic4
April 2nd, 2009, 04:42 AM
nano and kate. Using nano just seems easier, especially editing /etc/rc.conf XD

vishzilla
April 2nd, 2009, 04:53 AM
VIm FTW!

smartboyathome
April 2nd, 2009, 04:58 AM
Gedit and Nano ftw! Only thing I miss in nano is find and replace, but sed and grep takes care of that. ;)

Kingsley
April 2nd, 2009, 05:10 AM
gedit and Vim pl0x

nano is 4 n00bs

cardinals_fan
April 2nd, 2009, 05:12 AM
Vim is the ultimate editor with its supreme keyboard control. Nano is quite good if not quite as powerful. Geany is nice when I start a new script and need to test it very frequently.

smartboyathome
April 2nd, 2009, 05:14 AM
gedit and Vim pl0x

nano is 4 n00bs

I've never got the point of Vim. Overly complex, IMO.

chucky chuckaluck
April 2nd, 2009, 05:18 AM
nano's my favorite and the one i use 90% of the time. i like to use leafpad, gedit and kwrite when i'm in more frivolous moods, but i usually end up just using nano, even then.

cardinals_fan
April 2nd, 2009, 05:20 AM
I've never got the point of Vim. Overly complex, IMO.
Having a seperate mode for editing (can't remember the term right now) can be extremely handy and provides great keyboard control. However, it isn't for everyone.

RiceMonster
April 2nd, 2009, 05:33 AM
Geany is nice when I start a new script and need to test it very frequently.

I even use vim when I'm compiling and running code a lot. I just write the makefile then do

CTRL-Z (takes you to shell)
make
./program
fg (returns to vim)

same for scripts, except you don't have to compile them. I mean, it's a litter more work than just hitting F5 in, say, Visual Studio, but I don't mind at all.

Rokurosv
April 2nd, 2009, 05:35 AM
Notepad++. Right now I'm Windows only :P

MikeTheC
April 2nd, 2009, 05:58 AM
Linux: Gedit
Mac OS X: TextEdit
Windows: Notepad

I like them for doing basic writing, and because anything moved into (and then out of) them has all it's formatting stripped, which can be useful under certain circumstances.

There was another one out there, uh, I think it begins with the letter "e"... wasn't it written a long time ago by Apple? Oh yeah, macs... uh, e macs? No... oh, that's right, eMacs... That's what it is.

Not so much with eMacs... ;)

(j/k)

(For the record, I'm actually not that stupid...)

walkerk
April 2nd, 2009, 06:09 AM
Gedit & Nano.

jelle_
April 2nd, 2009, 06:42 AM
vim for programming, gedit for everything else

donovan1983
April 2nd, 2009, 07:11 AM
Vim. I can use maybe 1% of its features but it's quick and efficient and I'm comfortable with it. Not to mention that vi is always available on any Unix-like system so knowing how to use it is quite handy.

:wq ;)

Trail
April 2nd, 2009, 08:04 AM
Well, I love Kate for programming. Especially the KDE4 one, provided that you use the tabbed document list plugin thingy. It's pretty, has nice syntax highlighting (not to mention I've easily made my own for some custom logs, major win), has powerful features, word completion is quite useful, and more. A special mention to my favourite feature: pipe a selection of text through a unix command. For example, mark a region, hit Ctrl+\ and you can sort, sed, grep or whatever. It's awesome.

For a console editor, I have been trying to like vim and I eventually made it. Hard to get used to it, but it really pays off. Besides, it's really good performance-wise. Once I was browsing a 200MB log file, I wanted to search for 'ERROR', but instead I searched for 'error' (case sensitivity). I thought "oh crap, it's gonna take ages to scan through all that until it reports it wasn't found". 2-3 seconds later, the search finished. Awesome.

Eisenwinter
April 2nd, 2009, 11:19 AM
I use vi, nano, and medit.

All of them are used for different things.

I use nano to edit configuration files, vi to program, and medit to write simple notes.

spcwingo
April 2nd, 2009, 11:32 AM
Gedit, Geany, leafpad, and nano in that order are my faves.

aeiah
April 2nd, 2009, 12:00 PM
gedit, leafpad or nano depending on the environment im in. if im doing any python, html or more complex text editing i like using scite, especially since i can have it on my windows box at work as well as in linux

Bölvağur
April 2nd, 2009, 01:00 PM
gedit and geany (the poll had it twice so I voted twice)

alexandari
April 2nd, 2009, 01:10 PM
gedit and nano are the best. I really hate vi. Tears come to my eyes just looking at it

red_Marvin
April 2nd, 2009, 02:07 PM
I usually use gedit when in X and in the console nano or ed(!) depending on the task...

Shippou
April 2nd, 2009, 02:13 PM
Mousepad here.

I love lightweight apps.

notwen
April 2nd, 2009, 02:15 PM
bluefish, gedit and nano.

Nevon
April 2nd, 2009, 02:24 PM
Gedit, or Nano when I'm in a CLI environment.

jenkinbr
April 2nd, 2009, 02:24 PM
Notepad++. Right now I'm Windows only :P

I love Notepad++ for windows! I installed Notepad++ Portable (http://portableapps.com/apps/development/notepadpp_portable) on my USB thumbdrive and carry it everywhere. Very handy for editing UNIX format documents in windows, because the basic notepad shows a box instead of a carrage return (BAD WINDOWS :P)

lukjad
April 2nd, 2009, 02:26 PM
GEdit and Nano FTW! :D

BrokenKingpin
April 2nd, 2009, 08:40 PM
I voted for VI and Geany (which I am using more and more now). I used to like gedit, but it has a stupid bug when using network drives were it keeps thinking the file was modified outside of the editor.

cb951303
April 2nd, 2009, 09:28 PM

you didn't even bother to configure, didn't you?

voted for geany, gedit and KATE!! :popcorn:

jenkinbr
April 2nd, 2009, 11:34 PM
you didn't even bother to configure, didn't you?

voted for geany, gedit and KATE!! :popcorn:
I took it he didn't, because I think both features that user mentioned are packaged with Gedit...

...and if not, easily added in...

wingnux
April 2nd, 2009, 11:37 PM
Mousepad and leafpad.

lvleph
April 2nd, 2009, 11:42 PM
vi ftw

itreius
April 2nd, 2009, 11:52 PM
Leafpad in Linux, Notepad2 in Windows.

billgoldberg
April 3rd, 2009, 12:08 AM
I can't answer as GUI and CLI tools are in different categories, at least for me.

GUI -> Gedit (with plugins)

CLI -> Nano

cmay
April 3rd, 2009, 12:23 AM
geany is almost everything i ever use. sometimes i use nano but only for visudo.

jenkinbr
April 3rd, 2009, 03:19 PM
I can't answer as GUI and CLI tools are in different categories, at least for me.

GUI -> Gedit (with plugins)

CLI -> Nano
Note that you can check multiple items.
(in case for some reason you thought you could only vote for one...)

Bungo Pony
April 3rd, 2009, 09:31 PM
Qedit - it's an old DOS text editor, and I have it installed in DOSBox. It'll let me open ANY file I want so I can look at the crap inside it. Useful for reading hidden messages in viruses, names in files, programs used to create files, etc. I can't seem to find a decent Linux text editor which does that.

For a graphic text editor, it's Leafpad.

hessiess
April 3rd, 2009, 09:35 PM
Qedit - it's an old DOS text editor, and I have it installed in DOSBox. It'll let me open ANY file I want so I can look at the crap inside it. Useful for reading hidden messages in viruses, names in files, programs used to create files, etc. I can't seem to find a decent Linux text editor which does that.

For a graphic text editor, it's Leafpad.

Vim can also open any file, including binary files and display them in text or hex.

Ascenti0n
April 3rd, 2009, 11:26 PM
My Current fav IDE is Netbeans 6.5

My current text editor? well I'm undecided:

I'm in Gnome and I like Gedit.
I also Like Kate, but I'm put off by simple things like colour theme installation not easy.
I'd like to use Vim more, but I'm too busy (lazy) to learn all the shortcuts. I suppose I could use Cream, but that would be cheating ;)