PDA

View Full Version : can't shutdown

TamisLaan
April 1st, 2009, 09:12 PM
Alright so is this part of the April fools day? The shutdown button has disappeared. :lolflag: ooh and sins i am writing this here any way, how do i shutdown from console?

smartboyathome
April 1st, 2009, 09:14 PM
if you want to shutdown from console, use sudo shutdown -h now

tjwoosta
April 1st, 2009, 09:25 PM
Alright so is this part of the April fools day? The shutdown button has disappeared.

i cant be 100% because im not using ubuntu, but im pretty sure thats not an april fools joke

you can add or remove buttons from the panel by right clicking on it

jdong
April 1st, 2009, 09:44 PM
i cant be 100% because im not using ubuntu, but im pretty sure thats not an april fools joke

you can add or remove buttons from the panel by right clicking on it

This is NOT an April Fools joke. Ubuntu has not deployed any April Fools jokes to its users since the Warty Warthog days (when a somewhat hairy parody of the welcome screen picture was deployed to beta testers).

billgoldberg
April 1st, 2009, 10:45 PM
if you want to shutdown from console, use sudo shutdown -h now

actually it's

sudo shutdown -h NOW

The NOW has to be recited out loud screaming, using your best Arnold Schwarzenegger impression.

dragos240
April 1st, 2009, 11:57 PM
Hmm, i just always used:

sudo halt

swoll1980
April 2nd, 2009, 12:00 AM
I never understood why I need root privileges to do it in the terminal, but using the GUI I don't.

dragos240
April 2nd, 2009, 12:02 AM
I never understood why I need root privileges to do it in the terminal, but using the GUI I don't.

I do, GDM the display manager or KDM if you use KDE, will startup with root privileges, it will allow GNOME and KDE things without sudoing, GNOME uses root privileges, a normal terminal does not.

swoll1980
April 2nd, 2009, 12:06 AM
I do, GDM the display manager or KDM if you use KDE, will startup with root privileges, it will allow GNOME and KDE things without sudoing, GNOME uses root privileges, a normal terminal does not.

Thanks for the explanation.

jdong
April 2nd, 2009, 12:46 AM
Thanks for the explanation.

There are dbus hooks that the GUI uses to request a shutdown; the authorization to do this can be set via PolicyKit; by default the foreground active user is always allowed to shutdown/restart; but you can configure that otherwise if you dont' want your users to shut down the system.

These same hooks can be accessed from the command line but it's not obvious. The GUI does not directly use the shutdown -h now command.