PDA

View Full Version : [other] hello

hellonora
April 1st, 2009, 06:58 PM
i am new at the forum and my professor suggested me the link to download linux...
i am in the 1st year of university and i don t know almost anything. sorry for my english anyway
my friend installed linux and he said to me not to install them because i have to make a format on my pc and everything is going to be deleted. also my pc will broke and it will be useless!
i am really totally afraid because i don t want to do anything foolish!!!
is this an april s fool joke????
i am in panic because i will have to install them till tomorrow, and the download is still 17%!!!!!
i am really in panic i need help!!!

Partyboi2
April 2nd, 2009, 04:05 AM
my friend installed linux and he said to me not to install them because i have to make a format on my pc and everything is going to be deleted. also my pc will broke and it will be useless!Hi, there are a couple of methods you can use to install ubuntu, one of them is to its own partition which means your windows (assuming you are using windows) partition will be shrank down and and some extra partitions created for ubuntu to install onto. This can all be done by choosing that option at the partitioning stage of the ubuntu install and it will setup the partitions for you.. When ever you work on partitions it is advised to backup your important stuff in case something goes wrong which is not very often but a good practice to follow.
Ubuntu will not delete everything on the hard drive unless you decide that you no longer want to use your current operating system and instead would like to install ubuntu to the whole hard drive.

If you go with the 2nd method that is to use wubi to install ubuntu inside windows which means that you will not have to worry about the fear of deleting your window operating system.

Sef
April 2nd, 2009, 06:29 AM
To dual boot, read Psychocat's (http://psychocats.net/ubuntu). Dual booting allows you to have two operating systems on one hard drive.