PDA

View Full Version : Mythtv box question

DaMasta
January 2nd, 2006, 08:38 AM
Quick question for those in the know....I'm planning on building a mythtv box soon with two tv cards (both have a built in hardware decoder) and a dvd burner. The machine I want to use is a P3 850mhz with 1gig of ram. Would this be powerful enough to take care of business? I had originally planned on purchasing new hardware just for the mythtv box but I'd rather purchase new hardware for my personal computing. Thanks

poofyhairguy
January 2nd, 2006, 08:51 AM
Quick question for those in the know....I'm planning on building a mythtv box soon with two tv cards (both have a built in hardware decoder) and a dvd burner. The machine I want to use is a P3 850mhz with 1gig of ram. Would this be powerful enough to take care of business? I had originally planned on purchasing new hardware just for the mythtv box but I'd rather purchase new hardware for my personal computing. Thanks

That is enough if you get a card that does more in hardware...so basically, like this card:

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvr350.html

WinTV-PVR-350 contains a highly integrated MPEG-1/2 hardware encoder and hardware MPEG-1/2 decoder. WinTV-PVR-350 uses the hardware MPEG encoder for watching live TV, for pausing live TV and for recording. The encoded MPEG-2 video is sent over the PCI bus, where it is stored on the PCs hard disk (for pause and record) and simultaneously decoded in software for display on the PC screen (in all modes). When playing recorded video onto an external TV monitor, the on-board hardware MPEG-2 video decoder is used.

I hear its MythTV support is GREAT, and its not that much.

DaMasta
January 2nd, 2006, 08:55 AM
Would the 150 suffice? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16815116625
Is there variations in hardware decoding? **Nevermind about the variations. I see the 350 has mpeg2 and mpeg1 decoding.

DaMasta
January 2nd, 2006, 09:02 AM
Well, the Hauppauge site says the 150 has mpeg2 decoding too. See, I can afford two of the 150's and only one of the 350. But I want it to replace my tivo so I kind of need two.

Bladerunner
January 2nd, 2006, 11:17 AM
A PVR 500 would work nicely. It's two 150's on a single card and cheaper than getting two PVR 150's.

poofyhairguy
January 2nd, 2006, 12:39 PM
Well, the Hauppauge site says the 150 has mpeg2 decoding too. See, I can afford two of the 150's and only one of the 350. But I want it to replace my tivo so I kind of need two.

I would suggest the 250 over the 150. I have read on many forums about MythTV and the 150, and it seems that they do not work as well as even the 250 does.

kingtiger01
January 5th, 2009, 01:10 PM
That is enough if you get a card that does more in hardware...so basically, like this card:

http://www.hauppauge.com/pages/products/data_pvr350.html

I hear its MythTV support is GREAT, and its not that much.

i have a PVR-350. There Good cards, a bit hard to get Configured in linux. But once you do. Youre away and ready to go.

As far as Qaulity, Well... That can be a Downfall. the PVR-350, is a Analog card. it may do Digitial, but ive yet to be able to utilize it.

Analog playback, is Quite gritty some times. even snow. Ive tried different cables. and it does make a BIG difference with GOOD RG-6 cables. stay away from cheap, ungrounded cables.

NOTE: If you get this card... GROUND ITS FACE TO YOURE CASE!!!.(where you put youre screw in, put a small rubber buffer).

i have found, if you have any stray Voltage in the line, if you dont you can shock youre self quite a few time on youre case...

are lines here are not grounded, outside, so we get EMI inside a bit. off the cables.