PDA

View Full Version : The cafe will be closing 4/2/2009

ubuntu-geek
April 1st, 2009, 03:01 PM
You may have noticed in the past we are migrating towards a more ubuntu support based forum cutting out the unnecessary area's such as OS talk and OMGPP.

So, today will be the last day for the cafe. Enjoy and we hope you understand our decision.

aeiah
April 1st, 2009, 03:02 PM
:roll:

steeleyuk
April 1st, 2009, 03:02 PM
Nice try. But FAIL!

s.fox
April 1st, 2009, 03:03 PM
Can you close the forum games section while you are at it? :D

sydbat
Yay!!!

ubuntu-geek
Nice try. But FAIL!
Oh this isnt a joke :)

smartboyathome
You may have noticed in the past we are migrating towards a more ubuntu support based forum cutting out the unnecessary area's such as OS talk and OMGPP.

So, today will be the last day for the cafe. Enjoy and we hope you understand our decision.

I hope this is true, as then people can finally spend less time on here. ;)

Excedio
Har Har

Dr Small
April 1st, 2009, 03:05 PM
FUNNAAY! Don't worry. We'll make the mods busy with our new regime :D

billgoldberg
April 1st, 2009, 03:07 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oo.

Oh wait, it's april 1st.

:p

What's next, pink forums?

mips
April 1st, 2009, 03:08 PM
Oh this isnt a joke :)

If you announced this any other day but today I would believe you ;)

Btw, where is the banner notification for the closure, you should add one :confused:

sujoy
April 1st, 2009, 03:38 PM
yay!!
finally i might drag myself to a real cafe for a change :lolflag:

MikeTheC
April 1st, 2009, 04:14 PM
Interesting and Useful Things For People To Know Before The Forum Closes:

Nuclear Launch Code for Zimbabwe:

Answers for Mrs. T'Pring's Earth Language Arts Study Program Test:

A, C, C, B, A, A, B, D, "Schmittelburger", C, C, A, B, B, C, D, A, D, D, A

Catalog Designation # for the Constellation of Casseopia:

3C461

Bill Gates' GPS Coordinates:

+30° 15' 20.04", -72° 5' 7.37"

missbliss
April 1st, 2009, 04:16 PM
Hell no! I love th Cafe, omigodzzz!!! ;-)

gibxam
April 1st, 2009, 04:17 PM
Interesting and Useful Things For People To Know Before The Forum Closes:

Nuclear Launch Code for Zimbabwe:

Answers for Mrs. T'Pring's Earth Language Arts Study Program Test:

A, C, C, B, A, A, B, D, "Schmittelburger", C, C, A, B, B, C, D, A, D, D, A

Catalog Designation # for the Constellation of Casseopia:

3C461

+30° 15' 20.04", -72° 5' 7.37" :lolflag:

lukjad
April 1st, 2009, 04:17 PM
N-n-n-n-n-n-neeeeed-d-d-d-d-d-d s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-s-somethinggggg t-t-t-t-t-t-to d-d-d-d-d-d-ddooo now.....

Skripka
April 1st, 2009, 04:25 PM
Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo oo.

Oh wait, it's april 1st.

Nah, Ubuntu will now drop i386 support and only support i686 and x86_64.

As an announcement, shouldn't this be a sticky anyway, for full effect?

eragon100
April 1st, 2009, 04:33 PM

It seems the pink forum turned out to be try... My eyes hurt! :(

woppy71
April 1st, 2009, 04:34 PM

Oh wait, it's april 1st.

:lolflag:

Danny Dubya
April 1st, 2009, 05:10 PM
Hooray! Rainbow vomit is the color of DYING~

armageddon08
April 1st, 2009, 05:15 PM
Well tried......but I won't believe you...at least today.....

sanderella
April 1st, 2009, 05:30 PM
Oh no! no! no! aaarrrggghhh :shock:

FuturePilot
April 1st, 2009, 05:55 PM
WHAAAAT!!??? :o

):P

lukjad
April 1st, 2009, 05:59 PM
/me starts to hyperventilate.

Sealbhach
April 1st, 2009, 06:03 PM

Oh wait, it's april 1st.

You had to say it.:rolleyes:

Dragonbite
April 1st, 2009, 06:05 PM

Naw... they're going to only cover PPC chips in hopes to get in good with IBM!

bapoumba
April 1st, 2009, 08:50 PM
Can you close the forum games section while you are at it? :D

Nah, Cafe is enough for now.

In before it's gone :tongue:

t0p
April 1st, 2009, 08:55 PM

Aw heck! I guess it's back to Windows then.

*breaks computer*

koenn
April 1st, 2009, 08:57 PM

Given the new color scheme, I totally applaud this decision. Noone's gonna want to hang out here anymore, anyway.

Simian Man
April 1st, 2009, 08:57 PM
That would be awesome if you did this because everyone's assuming it's a joke.

SuperMike
April 1st, 2009, 09:29 PM
I certainly hope this is all in jest. You just don't make announcements of any sort on April 1. No one will believe you. It's not even worth it. Not in a company to your employees, not in a forum, not even to your wife.

Lostincyberspace
April 1st, 2009, 10:43 PM

Oh wait, it's april 1st.

Pink was last year If I am remembering right.

Christmas
April 1st, 2009, 10:55 PM
Thank god it's April 2 now here where I stand (I was kind of getting tired of 9 out of 10 articles on the Linux news sites with only April Fools' jokes).

dragos240
April 2nd, 2009, 12:00 AM
Oh I really hope this is an april fools! :(

swoll1980
April 2nd, 2009, 12:04 AM
It's not a joke you can read the official announcement here ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1113049&page=4 (youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0)

smartboyathome
April 2nd, 2009, 12:07 AM
Oh I really hope this is an april fools! :(

This isn't, as Ubuntu-Geek is the head admin here, and would never lie to us. It would be unprofessional, and also could get Canonical sued.

jenkinbr
April 2nd, 2009, 12:12 AM

I almost cried.

dragos240
April 2nd, 2009, 12:13 AM
WAIT A SECOND! Why isn't this a sticky? Shouldn't it be? Also how could ubuntuforums be a community forum if there is no place to discuss other things community-ish.

mamamia88
April 2nd, 2009, 12:13 AM
i really hope this is a joke because if it isn't i really have no reason to come here anymore. i used to come here when i had tech problems but now i don't have any problems

dragos240
April 2nd, 2009, 12:16 AM
I think this is a joke, no announcement that is stickied, posted on april fool's day, and that would defeat the cause of being a community forum! This is a fake, hopefully sometime ubuntu-geek will say april fool's, if he doesn't then :(.

Giant Speck
April 2nd, 2009, 12:21 AM
Nah, Cafe is enough for now.

In before it's gone :tongue:

Closing the Community Cafe in favor of keeping the Community Games forum up would be a horrible, stupid mistake, joking or otherwise.

gletob
April 2nd, 2009, 12:22 AM
Yeah no, not funny. You could give me a heart attack with that nonsense.

jenkinbr
April 2nd, 2009, 12:22 AM
closing the community cafe in favor of keeping the community games forum up would be a horrible, stupid mistake, joking or otherwise.

dragos240
April 2nd, 2009, 12:24 AM
Closing the Community Cafe in favor of keeping the Community Games forum up would be a horrible, stupid mistake, joking or otherwise.

+0, games are something to keep the human race from dying, but closing the community cafe is nearly as bad, kill another subforum!!

LookTJ
April 2nd, 2009, 12:25 AM
+1 I don't go to communty games, since there's nothing interesting there.

schauerlich
April 2nd, 2009, 12:29 AM

+30° 15' 20.04", -72° 5' 7.37"

I take it he's on a cruise?

Giant Speck
April 2nd, 2009, 12:30 AM

+0, games are something to keep the human race from dying, but closing the community cafe is nearly as bad, kill another subforum!!

Despite all the OS-bashing, FUD sloshing and bickering that occurs in the Community Cafe, I think many of the discussions that do occur there are a hell of a lot more valuable and worth reading than:

BUMP

BUMP

BUMP

ZOMG! 10,000th BUMP! Yay me!

Giant Speck
April 2nd, 2009, 12:32 AM
I take it he's on a cruise?

Unless he's on his way to Bermuda, I don't think that area is a very prime cruise location.

jenkinbr
April 2nd, 2009, 12:33 AM
Despite all the OS-bashing, FUD sloshing and bickering that occurs in the Community Cafe, I think many of the discussions that do occur there are a hell of a lot more valuable and worth reading than:

BUMP

BUMP

BUMP

ZOMG! 10,000th BUMP! Yay me!
Actually, it will soon be

ZOMG 37,000TH BUMP!!! YAY ME!!!

SuperMike
April 2nd, 2009, 12:58 AM
WAIT A SECOND! Why isn't this a sticky? Shouldn't it be? Also how could ubuntuforums be a community forum if there is no place to discuss other things community-ish.

My thoughts exactly. I was just about to post something about that but you beat me to it. If this was a serious post, they would either highlight it in a rounded box at the top of the forum, or post it as a sticky. They would also not do it one day before the event. Last, they would likely not do it on April 1.

So, this is kind of a sick joke.

schauerlich
April 2nd, 2009, 12:58 AM
Unless he's on his way to Bermuda, I don't think that area is a very prime cruise location.

Then perhaps he crashed his jetpack on his way across the pond.

Giant Speck
April 2nd, 2009, 01:01 AM
Then perhaps he crashed his jetpack on his way across the pond.

He doesn't use a jetpack anymore. He rides on the back of an enormous mosquito.

schauerlich
April 2nd, 2009, 01:02 AM
He doesn't use a jetpack anymore. He rides on the back of an enormous mosquito.

Ballmer?

suitedaces
April 2nd, 2009, 01:04 AM
tl;dr Was this an April Fools, or will I be able to stop wasting my free hours here? :lolflag:

dragos240
April 2nd, 2009, 01:06 AM
we are not sure

Giant Speck
April 2nd, 2009, 01:09 AM
Ballmer?

Now that was funny as hell. Thanks for that. :)

Foster Grant
April 2nd, 2009, 01:33 AM
Only one thing to do then:

http://www.wamc.net/fedora.jpg

dragos240
April 2nd, 2009, 01:35 AM
fedora?

ivaarsen
April 2nd, 2009, 01:38 AM
fedora?

Either that or Indiana Jones - but that doesn't make any sense.

CJ Master
April 2nd, 2009, 02:14 AM
............................................______ __........................
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,..................
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,............
.........................,/...............................................”:, ........
.....................,?........................... ...........................\,.....
.................../.................................................. .........,}....
................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}....
.............../.................................................. .,:”........./.....
..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../.....
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../........
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`..... ..._/...........
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}...........
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../............
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`..... }............../.............
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”...............
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\...................
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__...........
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,....
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\... .....................
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\............. ..........
................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__..
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``.......
........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\...............
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\..............

Dr Small
April 2nd, 2009, 02:17 AM
............................................______ __........................
....................................,.-‘”...................``~.,..................
.............................,.-”...................................“-.,............
.........................,/...............................................”:, ........
.....................,?........................... ...........................\,.....
.................../.................................................. .........,}....
................./.................................................. ....,:`^`..}....
.............../.................................................. .,:”........./.....
..............?.....__............................ .............:`.........../.....
............./__.(.....“~-,_..............................,:`........../........
.........../(_....”~,_........“~,_....................,:`..... ..._/...........
..........{.._$;_......”=,_.......“-,_.......,.-~-,},.~”;/....}...........
...........((.....*~_.......”=-._......“;,,./`..../”............../............
...,,,___.\`~,......“~.,....................`..... }............../.............
............(....`=-,,.......`........................(......;_,,-”...............
............/.`~,......`-...............................\....../\...................
.............\`~.*-,.....................................|,./.....\,__...........
,,_..........}.>-._\...................................|........... ...`=~-,....
.....`=~-,_\_......`\,.................................\... .....................
...................`=~-,,.\,...............................\............. ..........
................................`:,,.............. .............`\..............__..
.....................................`=-,...................,%`>--==``.......
........................................_\........ ..._,-%.......`\...............
...................................,<`.._|_,-&``................`\..............
haha!

ivaarsen
April 2nd, 2009, 02:20 AM
Oh, I definitely LOL'd.

Good show! The ASCII face-palm is getting saved!

Sinkingships7
April 2nd, 2009, 04:31 AM

I think it was supposed to mean "hats off", as in, "Hats off to the community cafe. You will forever live in our hearts."

lukjad
April 2nd, 2009, 02:12 PM
It's not a joke you can read the official announcement here ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1113049&page=4 (youtube.com/watch?v=oHg5SJYRHA0)

LOL, nice try. Is that a Rickroll?

The Cafe is closed. There is not point in stickying a thread in a closed forum. Everyong posting in the Cafe is in denial. ;)

jenkinbr
April 2nd, 2009, 02:16 PM
LOL, nice try. Is that a Rickroll?

Yep, that's exactly what it is.

The Cafe is closed. There is not point in stickying a thread in a closed forum. Everyong posting in the Cafe is in denial. ;)

You're in denial, then :P

Dragonbite
April 2nd, 2009, 02:20 PM

Fedora should just use Indiana Jones' hat as their logo. An "adventure in Linux"! ;)

Hey, has anybody made the Indiana Jones hat into an icon to replace the Fedora one. Oh, I could get into a whole theme like that! What would his whip be an icon for?

jenkinbr
April 2nd, 2009, 02:26 PM
Fedora should just use Indiana Jones' hat as their logo. An "adventure in Linux"! ;)

Hey, has anybody made the Indiana Jones hat into an icon to replace the Fedora one. Oh, I could get into a whole theme like that! What would his whip be an icon for?
root terminal?

Penguin Guy
April 2nd, 2009, 04:53 PM
I am asuming this was posted on April fools day?

jenkinbr
April 2nd, 2009, 05:08 PM
I am asuming this was posted on April fools day?
Your assumptions are correct :)

handy
April 2nd, 2009, 05:19 PM

Good idea.

Better no community than a shallow limited one. ):P

Giant Speck
April 2nd, 2009, 05:25 PM
Maybe the Community Cafe has already been closed and we just haven't gotten around to registering it in our minds.

Wouldn't it suck to die but not realize we have died?

S0VERE1GN
April 2nd, 2009, 05:43 PM
so, now we post our useless topics in the tutorials and tips forum?

lukjad
April 2nd, 2009, 06:05 PM
Yep, that's exactly what it is.

You're in denial, then :P

Me? I deny I'm in denial. I'm NOT in denial!!!!

so, now we post our useless topics in the tutorials and tips forum?

No, the testimonials section.

infoseeker
April 2nd, 2009, 06:33 PM

Bermuda triangle and April fools day....good combination :)

dannytatom
April 2nd, 2009, 09:08 PM
i really hope this is a joke because if it isn't i really have no reason to come here anymore. i used to come here when i had tech problems but now i don't have any problems

yeah, giving back to the community by helping others the way you were helped is totally out of the question huh?

mamamia88
April 2nd, 2009, 09:51 PM
uh i didn't mean it like that i meant that

forrestcupp
April 2nd, 2009, 10:02 PM
The Cafe is closed. There is not point in stickying a thread in a closed forum.

Also, it's counterproductive to sticky something that's important, anyway. It won't ever get read. ;)

beercz
April 2nd, 2009, 11:14 PM
Is the cafe closed yet?

s.fox
April 2nd, 2009, 11:25 PM
I expect clearing out the cafe will take time :lolflag:

Then again running some SQL should be a quick process. ;)

jenkinbr
April 2nd, 2009, 11:28 PM
*checks*
Still here.

dragos240
April 3rd, 2009, 12:01 AM
Uhh.... I think this was a haox!

Dale61
April 3rd, 2009, 12:36 AM
What's needed now is for someone to start a thread letting us all know that the Cafe is still open, and that they can still post ............................ oh wait, someone already has!

jenkinbr
April 3rd, 2009, 03:18 PM
Link please

(too lazy to look for myself)
+, the 37000 bump is just ahead - gotta keep an eye out ;)