PDA

View Full Version : ubuntu 9.04

Kaneda187
April 1st, 2009, 01:23 PM
So whats gonna be different is it worth doing a clean install whats new what changed is it still brown by default? i wanna know please

pmlxuser
April 1st, 2009, 01:28 PM
if you do clean install you might be able to change the file system to ext4,
-have the good and fast boot screen and time
-New desktop wall paper
-Brown still exist but you got alternatives

Kaneda187
April 1st, 2009, 02:47 PM
sounds cool, faster boot and boot screen you say, whats the advantages of exit4?

graabein
April 1st, 2009, 03:12 PM
You also get the newest GNOME and updated packages all around off course.

I don't know much about the Ubuntu specific stuff in 9.04. Anyone know of a preview/what's new site/link/post?

KCG102282
April 1st, 2009, 03:19 PM
sounds cool, faster boot and boot screen you say, whats the advantages of exit4?

Its not exit4 its EXT4 and it is suppose to be faster and supports larger hard drives.

jespdj
April 1st, 2009, 03:21 PM
Google can answer your questions in as much detail as you like.

hotweiss
April 1st, 2009, 03:55 PM
After installing every Alpha (I don't know why I put myself through the pain) and now the Beta, everything seems to be running smoothly now. And in my opinion it is one of the most significant Ubuntu releases to date. Ext 4 is blazing fast, the New Wave theme is a nice change, the new notification system provides some eye candy, compiz is much smoother, and all of the bugs that have been annoying me are gone.

graabein
April 5th, 2009, 11:53 AM
Thanks for the info hotweiss. I'm starting to look forward to yet another Ubuntu release. I've been using Ubuntu since Warty or Hoary or whatever back in 2005 it must have been. Good times.

RichardLinx
April 5th, 2009, 12:45 PM
Sounds good. I'll be upgrading to Ubuntu 9.04 since I've been using 8.10 for about 2 weeks now. It's grown on me in recent times. :)

BigSilly
April 5th, 2009, 12:47 PM
Looks great for me on my desktop, but I'm hoping they've fixed suspend and hibernate for the laptops.

Snappo
April 5th, 2009, 01:09 PM
Google can answer your questions in as much detail as you like.

If you don't ask there will be nothing for google to index. :KS I just upgraded my desktop to 8.10 and it was quite a bit faster than 8.4 (at least for me).

Kareeser
April 5th, 2009, 04:14 PM
Looks great for me on my desktop, but I'm hoping they've fixed suspend and hibernate for the laptops.

It's been the opposite for me, actually. Hoary wouldn't suspend for my laptop, but Intrepid did. Jaunty beta isn't, but it's hit and miss.

Bug reports are your best friend, though :) It'll get fixed for sure!

gjoellee
April 5th, 2009, 04:17 PM
sounds cool, faster boot and boot screen you say, whats the advantages of ext4?

Ext4 is faster. Because Ext4 is faster, Ubuntu boots faster. Ext4 also support larger drives.