PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Iso 8.10 install problems

Snowghost
April 1st, 2009, 08:30 AM
hey guys
first time trying this.

im installing on an old computer Ubuntu 8.10
the computer has two hard drives, one is partitions to have 30gb for winxp, 10gb free.
the other is about 100gb 25gb used with music and such.
the computer has no cd drive, so im trying via iso

the demo is there and i can access that, but the install on that gets hungup

installing using wubi.exe gets me as far as "creating image" but then i get a windows msg telling me it has to stop. the report on it so huge. will post a picture of that later.

should i be reformating my drive using windows first before installing?

what i can tell you is the msg says:
appname wubi.exe appver 8.10.0.515.
modname cd2iso.dll modnum 0.0.0.0
offset 00007ceb

thanks
Snowy

lindsay7
April 1st, 2009, 08:42 AM
You do not need to format you drive to install with Wubi. Ubuntu installs under Windows with this method.

You should post all the info that you have on your system, including make, model, ram, video card, cpu, ect. It sounds like you may have a hardware conflict. There may be a way to work around it, but system info is needed.

Is this where you are getting Wubi.

http://wubi-installer.org/

Snowghost
April 2nd, 2009, 05:58 AM
my goodness.
ok

the computer is 10 years old. are parts going to be reconisded?
its going to be a mishion to get them.

if i run the demo and run the installer from there i get to the same point (well the translated, ubuntu styled point)

it came with the 8.10 download.....didnt it?

thanks

lindsay7
April 2nd, 2009, 08:17 AM
Try to install from the web site I gave you. Sometimes the disks do not work if they are bad.

Snowghost
April 4th, 2009, 12:57 AM
i tryed the download but same as before

this is a screanshot of what i get. as you can see buy the scrole bar, thats alota code. (i can not slectet it to coppy and paist, sorry)
http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q288/Killargorilla/ubuntuinstallfail1.jpg

is this enough info on my computer?

dtoronto
April 4th, 2009, 01:03 AM
You also might try a USB install if your machine supports it.

lindsay7
April 5th, 2009, 03:36 AM
Looking at what is on your screen, I can not tell what is going on but it looks like you may have the Install disk in the computer and it shows a drive D:

You need to take the install disk out of the computer and go to the Wubi web site and try the Ubuntu install from there. It will install on you windows drive. I do not know why there are other drives showing on what you sent from the screen shot. Normally your windows system is on the c: drive.

Snowghost
April 5th, 2009, 12:04 PM
you right, it is on the C drive

am i ment to be installing it to the C drive? (i thoght it wasnt good to have two OSs on the same partishion
\(D drive is a partishion of the same hard disk)

i tryd the earlyer version of ubuntu but same problem. but i tryd on the D drive and M drives.

i will try C drive then.

lindsay7
April 5th, 2009, 11:32 PM
Wubi installs under windows, so it will be with you windows drive. You will not see an extra partition. If you want to uninstall it you would do it from the windows from the control panel.

Snowghost
April 6th, 2009, 03:18 AM
ok that might help, il try that.

so can i uninstall windows afterwards to free up my windows OS to put on another computer/

lindsay7
April 6th, 2009, 06:30 AM
No not exactly. If you install Ubuntu with Wubi in is installed under windows just like another windows program. If you uninstall Windows, Ubuntu will also be uninstalled too.

Are you wanting to have a dual boot system or do you want to just install Ubuntu on this computer and have a Windows system on another computer?

Snowghost
April 6th, 2009, 11:53 AM
the second. id like to install ubuntu, so i can uninstall windows (to use somewere else)

Note
i do not have a cd drive on this computer

lindsay7
April 6th, 2009, 06:44 PM
Based on what you have said, this is going to be the easiest thing for you to do.

1. Go to the Wubi web site and install Ubuntu under Windows.

2. After you have this done. Look under Systems in the top menu bar and go down to Administartion, USb Sartup disc creator, get a USB stick and do this.

3. You can now install Ubuntu on any comupter that you want with this USB stick. If you want to install Ubuntu and use the full hard drive this will wipe out your Windows system leaving only Ubuntu on that computer. You could also choose to have a dual boot system where both Ubuntu and Windows are on the same hard drime and you choose which system you want to start up.

Snowghost
April 7th, 2009, 10:19 AM
but if i uninstall windows. which wipes everything. will i not lose the driver for the usb ports on my mobo?

lindsay7
April 7th, 2009, 03:20 PM
NO. The USB port run off of the motherboard before any Operating System Starts Up. Then the OS might manage them. If you want to start you computer from a USB bootable drive, you need to get into the Bios and tell it to start up on the USB port first. Normally the computer is set to start up in this order. 1. cd/dvd drive 2. Hard Drive 3. usb or other device. You should search the web and this forum for info on start ups and general information.