PDA

View Full Version : Does having Ubuntu on a laptop extend the battery life?

JackieChan
April 1st, 2009, 03:32 AM
I'm getting a laptop in June and would like to know if using Ubuntu instead of Windows Vista will extend the battery life? Thanks! :)

mamamia88
April 1st, 2009, 03:34 AM
probably not i get about the same in xp as ubuntu

wrtpeeps
April 1st, 2009, 03:36 AM
No.

I've never run linux on my laptop, does ubuntu still allow you to change the power option like windows? (power saver, standard and high performance etc..)

If not, then I dare say windows may outdo it?

mamamia88
April 1st, 2009, 03:38 AM
no but you have option to reduce backlit and dim display

wrtpeeps
April 1st, 2009, 03:39 AM
I may be wrong, but I believe the Power Saver option on laptops running windows will do more than just dim backlight?

Does someone know what exactly it does?

Dr Small
April 1st, 2009, 03:42 AM
I may be wrong, but I believe the Power Saver option on laptops running windows will do more than just dim backlight?

Does someone know what exactly it does?

xset +dpms

+dpms The +dpms option enables DPMS (Energy Star) features.

swoll1980
April 1st, 2009, 03:46 AM
From what I have heard Ubuntu is not great on battery life. My battery is shot, so I can't really tell the difference.

AaronMT
April 1st, 2009, 03:48 AM
To be honest, I get better battery life on Vista and XP.

Excedio
April 1st, 2009, 03:48 AM
I know everyone says no...but I feel like my battery is lasting longer. I have 8.10 on an Inspiron that runs for 3.5 hours, that only lasted 2-2.5 hours with XP.

Can't explain it.

Dr Small
April 1st, 2009, 03:49 AM
From what I have heard Ubuntu is not great on battery life. My battery is shot, so I can't really tell the difference.
BREAKING NEWS!
Did you hear that folks? Running UBNUTU Lienux DESTROYED his laptops battery. Another reason why running LIENUX will ruin your system.

wrtpeeps
April 1st, 2009, 03:49 AM
To be honest, I get better battery life on Vista and XP.

Thought as much.

My Dell XPS with Vista gives me 3 hours on power saver (6 cell battery).

wrtpeeps
April 1st, 2009, 03:50 AM
BREAKING NEWS!
Did you hear that folks? Running UBNUTU Lienux DESTROYED his laptops battery. Another reason why running LIENUX will ruin your system.

Yea, he said that right enough. :rolleyes:

Do you have a point?

swoll1980
April 1st, 2009, 03:51 AM
BREAKING NEWS!

lol

Simian Man
April 1st, 2009, 03:54 AM
When I travel, I often run text mode (Ctrl-Alt-F2), and battery life is fantastic! I can't do much except program (or use elinks if there is a wireless signal, but it is still fun :).

pwnst*r
April 1st, 2009, 03:56 AM
BREAKING NEWS!

yes, that's what he said.

wrtpeeps
April 1st, 2009, 03:59 AM
yes, that's what he said.

Sarcasm rules! :D

Dr Small
April 1st, 2009, 04:22 AM
Yea, he said that right enough. :rolleyes:

Do you have a point?

Yeah; That's the way the media pumps up news articles, by adding words into his mouth :) Better be careful, they're liable to be reading our posts... *looks over his shoulder for news reporters*

meh

Polygon
April 1st, 2009, 04:38 AM
linux's power management is pretty abysmal, basically all it is at the moment is cpu scaling, backlight dimming and then a bunch of hackish scripts to control hard drive spin down time, and some other things

i wish gnome would create a proper power management system, much like windows has, where you can have profiles, set how much backlight your screen has, hard drive spin down frequency, cpu scaling, all of that when you are on AC or battery power.....

JackieChan
April 1st, 2009, 06:52 AM
This sucks. I had heard that Linux was great on battery life. That's the last time I trust Yahoo answers! :-x