PDA

View Full Version : Anyone heard of OnLive?

Maverick_Hunter
April 1st, 2009, 03:29 AM
I saw this http://www.onlive.com/ it says it works with PC or mac (when realeased) you think it will work with Ubuntu?

lisati
April 1st, 2009, 03:32 AM
I saw this http://www.onlive.com/ it says it works with PC or mac (when realeased) you think it will work with Ubuntu?

Often when someone says it works with a "PC" they mean "with Windows" (strictly speaking, any personal computer is a "PC" but "common usage" has a habit of changing meanings)

EDIT: I just had a look at the website, and it's not immediately obvious to me if provision has been made for Ubuntu (Linux in general)

Maverick_Hunter
April 1st, 2009, 04:43 AM
I know it meant XP (or vista) But it says that Onlive works Via a browser plugin for xp or intel based macs. I just think maybe it works with Linux via the same browser plugin.

Polygon
April 1st, 2009, 04:54 AM
its basically the ultimate form of drm, where you don't even own the physical media or files on your hard drive to play the game. you just own a box

and no it will never work, its just not physically possible.

Maverick_Hunter
April 1st, 2009, 11:08 PM
What makes you say its impossible?

Chemical Imbalance
April 1st, 2009, 11:12 PM
its basically the ultimate form of drm, where you don't even own the physical media or files on your hard drive to play the game. you just own a box

It is possible, maybe not feasible:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/7976206.stm

|Porsche
April 1st, 2009, 11:26 PM

I understand how you feel,and feel exactly the same way... but stranger things have happened. Never say never.

Therion
April 1st, 2009, 11:38 PM
I'm curious what my ISP is going to say when my bandwidth usage spikes right through the freaking roof after playing TES:IV Oblivion for a couple hours...

Bölvaður
April 2nd, 2009, 12:16 AM
here you go, right from the website:

You need to be at least 18, based in the US and have a broadband-connected PC running Windows Vista®/XP®, or an Intel®-based Mac.

this is doomed to fail.

Polygon
April 2nd, 2009, 01:10 AM
I understand how you feel,and feel exactly the same way... but stranger things have happened. Never say never.

yes, because their server farm is able to run 20+ or however many games they say they support, all independent from each other, and run a seperate copy of the game for each person playing, render the game (at 1000fps, some website said it would have to run this fast to work) and then send the 720p visual feed to WHEREVER you are in the world, all with no lag.

yeah, its not going to work with todays technology and internet connections, unless you have your computer directly connected into a internet backbone.

gn2
April 2nd, 2009, 02:15 AM
Looks like it doesn't need a PC (with whatever OS) or a Mac, just one of these little gadgets (http://reviews.digitaltrends.com/first-look/291/onlive-microconsole).

And live in the USA :(

no6969el
June 24th, 2010, 01:16 AM
you would think in a forum for ubuntu people would be smarter... i seen this thread last year and I was waiting for onlive to release and then use it so I can just come back and say first off it DOES work.. and second most people in this thread are dumb.. lol lata

in case any one of you are on onlive with your tail between your legs.. my onlive name is barzattacks now lets game.

McRat
June 24th, 2010, 02:20 AM
Holy necromancing. :confused:

I tried to register for it, I'm in SoCal. AFAIK, it's only active in selected areas. You have to read almost their entire site to figure out that though. They had declared it was Open For Business last week, but their site didn't change much if at all.

Apparently the TV boxes aren't available, you can't use a wireless connection, and you won't know if your connection is adequate until after you sign up.

Not exactly off to a stellar start.