PDA

View Full Version : good way to keep laptop cool on lap?

mamamia88
April 1st, 2009, 02:48 AM
does anyone know a good way? right now it gets so hot it's almost unusable on my lap and it's probably not a good idaea to block the vents with a pillow or blanket that would just make it hotter and a fan would be kind of cubersome too.

wolfen69
April 1st, 2009, 02:53 AM
buy a laptop cooler for it to sit on. http://www.xoxide.com/noco.html

mamamia88
April 1st, 2009, 02:55 AM
i have one of those and while great for desktop use i couldn't imagine using it on my lap

wolfen69
April 1st, 2009, 02:57 AM
they don't weigh much and are only slightly bigger than the laptop itself. i don't see the problem.

mamamia88
April 1st, 2009, 02:58 AM
mine is actually smaller than the laptop. my laptop is 17" and the cooler is about 13 inches so with the slightest movement it would fall off

simtaalo
April 1st, 2009, 03:01 AM
get one better sized for your laptop, i mean you could get some kind of board or something but its not gonna work as well as the cooling tray.

mamamia88
April 1st, 2009, 03:02 AM
ok ill take a look at bestbuy or try to build something myself

sgosnell
April 1st, 2009, 03:04 AM
The standard chill pad, using USB-powered fans, works very well. It does consume battery power, though. I used one almost all the time when I had a full-size laptop, but haven't used it since I got my Asus eee-pc. No need, it doesn't get that hot.

mamamia88
April 1st, 2009, 03:06 AM
The standard chill pad, using USB-powered fans, works very well. It does consume battery power, though. I used one almost all the time when I had a full-size laptop, but haven't used it since I got my Asus eee-pc. No need, it doesn't get that hot.

who makes that? how is that eee pc anyway i've been cosidering getting one but worried it will be too hard to type or be to small to use

jflaker
April 1st, 2009, 03:06 AM
The simplest of solutions would be a wooden "table". Usually, something like a fold-away TV-table would do the trick once you remove the legs and support.

The problem isn't that it gets very hot, but you are in contact with the constant heat source which can become uncomfortable and can even give you a 1st degree burn (similar to a slight sunburn) after prolonged exposure..

The tabletop from a small folding tv-table is rugged, can't really malfunction and is inexpensive and can serve as an impromptu lap-desk when needed.

tdrusk
April 1st, 2009, 03:09 AM
Thick book/Piece of wood

I'm assuming you are talking about keeping yourself cool.

mamamia88
April 1st, 2009, 03:11 AM
yes don't want to burn my lap

Dr Small
April 1st, 2009, 03:26 AM
We actually have a monitor stand (has two side legs that stand about 2" tall, and is half moon shaped) for our laptop stand. It never worked out as a monitor stand, so it works just perfect for the laptop :)

TombKing
April 1st, 2009, 03:54 AM
A lap desk, or basically a flat bit of wood a bit bigger than your laptop.
I was going to point out the laptop 'feet' I had seen recently on thinkgeek but I can't find them there now. I have a some homemade ones that prop up mine for better airflow on my desk. But the ones at thinkgeek were shown resting on the users legs.

TombKing
April 1st, 2009, 03:55 AM
ahh here they are http://www.thinkgeek.com/homeoffice/gear/a695/

sgosnell
April 1st, 2009, 04:35 AM
The chill pads are available at most computer stores. I've seen them at Office Depot, Office Max, Best Buy, and most other places, for ~$30 or so. Ebay also has them.

I love the eee, and will never buy another full-size laptop. The keyboard is obviously smaller than standard, but after a day or so of practice I was typing as fast as on a standard one. Now I can type faster, because my fingers don't have to move as far. It's light, portable, and cool, and runs Ubuntu very well. The Xandros that comes on it is old and somewhat crippled, but the machine itself is very capable.

geogur
April 1st, 2009, 06:13 AM
My eeepc is still running Xandros it gets me free internet all over Toronto I don`t have a wifi but use my eeepc to get my emails and get online away from my Ubuntu desk top . I don`t recall ever having a heat issue with my eeepc .