PDA

View Full Version : Kaspersky Internet Security 2009

linux4life88
April 1st, 2009, 02:43 AM
I've had to get a new laptop and in the process of doing this I'm looking a good all in one security suite. I was wondering if anyone has used Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 before. My laptop will have Windows Vista 32 bit Home Premium one it (as well as linux of course)? What do you like and dislike about it? I've heard horror stories about it, but I've also hear horror stories of pretty much every Internet Security suite on the market. Should I go with something more well know like Norton?

wolfen69
April 1st, 2009, 02:49 AM
i would stay away from norton. it is a huge resource hog and bugs you constantly. same goes for mcafee. i've never used kaspersky, but i've heard good things about it. also try and stay away from all-in-one security suites. they are serious bloatware. just get the anti-virus and you're good to go. use in conjunction with spybot search and destroy (http://www.safer-networking.org/). (free)

tdrusk
April 1st, 2009, 02:53 AM
I've had to get a new laptop and in the process of doing this I'm looking a good all in one security suite. I was wondering if anyone has used Kaspersky Internet Security 2009 before. My laptop will have Windows Vista 32 bit Home Premium one it (as well as linux of course)? What do you like and dislike about it? I've heard horror stories about it, but I've also hear horror stories of pretty much every Internet Security suite on the market. Should I go with something more well know like Norton?
Honestly, I just use Zone Alarm Free. If you are smart an anti-virus is not necessary even on Windows. These are my feelings. Those that disagree with me are subject to their own.

wrtpeeps
April 1st, 2009, 03:27 AM
Don't have an antivirus installed on my laptop (vista).

You don't need one.

No software firewall either.

PriceChild
April 1st, 2009, 03:33 AM
http://free.avg.com/ has always done well for me, no need to buy the paid-for version.

So Tough
April 1st, 2009, 03:52 AM
I cannot understand those who pay for antivirus-

wrtpeeps
April 1st, 2009, 03:57 AM
You don't need one at all. All AVG is doing is sitting there doing damn all.

BGFG
April 1st, 2009, 04:00 AM
I'd say Avira or Avast for speed, detection rate and resource friendliness. KerioSunbelt Personal Firewall Free also.

Excedio
April 1st, 2009, 04:03 AM
I always recommend Avast to Windows users. http://www.avast.com/eng/download-avast-home.html

Hey, they even have a Linux version! Cause we all need it right ;)

starchaser1
April 1st, 2009, 04:09 AM
wow, no one's suggested comodo?

comodo firewall, avg antivirus

tried kaspersky once, couldn't get rid of it fast enough

fenian
April 1st, 2009, 04:18 AM
AVG,Avast and Avira are all good and free.

|Mitch|
April 1st, 2009, 05:07 AM
I always ran NOD32 when I was on XP. Wasn't free, but it was the best protection I found while being the lightest on resource usage.

Polygon
April 1st, 2009, 05:11 AM

You don't need one.

people like you are what makes worms like conflicker spread across the internet. I bet you don't update as well

I personally use avast for all of my computers, I used avg but it was giving me random issues, so i tried avast, it requires you to register (free) but after that it works fine.

seshomaru samma
April 1st, 2009, 06:31 AM
For Windows it's worth investing in a good anti-virus

Whenever I install Windows I always put NOD32 on it (providing somebody else is paying...)

inobe
April 1st, 2009, 06:50 AM
wife and kids use locked down accounts, i am the virus scanner ;)

oobuntoo
April 1st, 2009, 07:31 AM
I find that the combination of the default Windows firewall, Windows Defender (MS free anti malware/spyware), and free AVG is good enough for personal use.

Ultimately, nothing can prevent ignorant users' PCs from being infected; they would still click 'yes' when ask if they want their PCs infected. Yeah, there are people who are that stupid in this world.:D

.Maleficus.
April 1st, 2009, 11:25 AM

Whenever I install Windows I always put NOD32 on it (providing somebody else is paying...)
Finally some sensible talk! As seshomaru said, it is worth investing in good AV for Windows.

I use Kasersky Internet Security 2009 on the few occasions that I do boot Vista, but other good choices are Webroot Spysweeper and yes, Norton Internet Security/360. It doesn't take up as much resources anymore, it is good at detection and comes with good, easy to use tools.

Working on computers with viruses is my job. I see computers come in with all sorts of stuff- people who've installed AV2009 thinking it was legit, people running Avast, AVG and Spybot all on the same computer, people running actual paid-for software. Let me tell you OP, you get what you pay for.

Feel free to flame me, but the fact of the matter is, you need to buy good AV.

adamlau
April 1st, 2009, 11:29 AM
NOD32 and only after you tighten up your ACLs and follow the Vista security guidelines published by the NSA. The latter two points will do more to harden your system than any AV solution can.

jono2009
April 1st, 2009, 12:32 PM
[QUOTE=Polygon;6992143]people like you are what makes worms like conflicker spread across the internet. I bet you don't update as well

When I used XP I never needed to update, no firewall, just sticky honey all around the PC. See if the little buggers never got through that. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Bölvağur
April 1st, 2009, 01:17 PM
the best virus avoidance for windy is staying offline. Or what a sweedish guy I know does... goes onto the internet on vista via ubuntu on a virtual machine.

khelben1979
April 1st, 2009, 03:30 PM

You don't need one.

I guess this is a first april joke... By my experience using Windows I have had problems with both trojans and viruses through the years and on other operating systems as well.

wrtpeeps
April 1st, 2009, 03:34 PM
people like you are what makes worms like conflicker spread across the internet. I bet you don't update as well

I personally use avast for all of my computers, I used avg but it was giving me random issues, so i tried avast, it requires you to register (free) but after that it works fine.

<snip>
I bet you if I download a antivirus and run a scan I'd be 100% clean.

I guess this is a first april joke... By my experience using Windows I have had problems with both trojans and viruses through the years and on other operating systems as well.

Well yes, you do tend to get infected when you click on links like "FREE $0FTWAREZ LOL ROFL LMAO CLICKZ HERE".

If you have ANY common sense at all, you're fine.

khelben1979
April 1st, 2009, 04:10 PM
No, it's idiots like you who get infected in the first place that spread these things.

I bet you if I download a antivirus and run a scan I'd be 100% clean.

Well yes, you do tend to get infected when you click on links like "FREE $0FTWAREZ LOL ROFL LMAO CLICKZ HERE".

So... by this you mean that everyone which uses Excel and get macro viruses don't have any common sense? (Just to take one example)

Polygon
April 1st, 2009, 08:35 PM

you do realize that conflickr is spread through a exploit in windows right? So...even if you are 'super careful' on what you click, your lack of firewall or any security measures opens you up to many windows exploits.

linux4life88
April 2nd, 2009, 02:14 AM
I think I will stick with Norton. The only reason I was looking at Kaspersky was because of the speed but Norton has gotten better over the years. Thanks for all the help. Also, I have virus protection not only to protect my computer but also to protect other peoples computers. I don't want to send an email attachment to someone and find out later that it had a virus in it and I destroyed their computer. Even though I didn't create the virus, I will still feel responsible. If you run windows you must have at a minimum a virus protector, malware protector and spyware protector in my opinion (a firewall doesn't heart either). Thanks again for all the help.

swoll1980
April 2nd, 2009, 02:21 AM
<snip>

I was google'ing stuff for a research report the other day, and my Avast stopped an attack. You really don't know what sites will attack you. Even a site you go on everyday could get hacked, and attack you. Look at those people that got attacked by Mints site.

cardinals_fan
April 2nd, 2009, 02:23 AM

Why?

you do realize that conflickr is spread through a exploit in windows right? So...even if you are 'super careful' on what you click, your lack of firewall or any security measures opens you up to many windows exploits.
Patches will fix that. Antivirus apps are not security measures.

I would be seriously interested in knowing just how antivirus software helps anyone with securing their systems.

swoll1980
April 2nd, 2009, 02:25 AM
Why?

I would be seriously interested in knowing just how antivirus software helps anyone with securing their systems.

I just mentioned one. Avast will stop a virus attack from a website in real time. Had I not had it installed I wouldn't have known about it. Also what if your were infected before an update you need a way to scan or viruses, right?

tjwoosta
April 2nd, 2009, 03:01 AM
i aways use avast

never had any problems, its caught at least 5 or 6 things so far before they even had a chance to install on my system, and its not nearly as much of a resource hog as norton or mcafee

actually heres the story of how i found avast

my computer came with mcaffe internet security suite

after about 3 months of using it things got really slow and my cpu usage was over the top

i scaned three times in a row with mcaffe and found nothing

then i did some reading on forums and stuff where i heard alot of people talking about how mcaffe and norton are resource hogs and how the free scanners are just as good except way lighter

so i tried avast

on the very first scan i found like 5 trojans and all kinds of nasty stuff

so i decided to just completely reformat and reinstall

this time i used avast right from the start, along with safer networkings spybot search and destroy (i highly recommend spybot as it can, if used properly, keep track of registry changes and notify you any time a program tries to change things)

now i have been using the same windows install for about a year now and still have no issues whatsoever

i will never use mcaffe or norton ever again

actually ill never even pay for a virus scanner ever again

cardinals_fan
April 2nd, 2009, 03:18 AM
I just mentioned one. Avast will stop a virus attack from a website in real time. Had I not had it installed I wouldn't have known about it. Also what if your were infected before an update you need a way to scan or viruses, right?
Behavior-based scanning isn't completely useless - I'll grant you that. If I had an infection, I would never be content with just a pass from a scanner - reinstallation is the only choice to be totally sure it's gone.

linux4life88
April 2nd, 2009, 03:33 AM
The reason why I'm choosing Norton is that PC Magazine and PC World have name it their best security suite. The second reason is that PC Magazine also pointed out that only 2 of the Internet Suites had only a minor effect on the computer performance, Kaspersky and Norton. Norton is getting much better and PC Magazine timings of things such as boot up time prove that. Thanks again for all the help and I apologize if I've started a heated debate. I've found security is a love hate game. One person loves something and another hates it. Just like I would never use McAfee.

swoll1980
April 2nd, 2009, 03:42 AM
The reason why I'm choosing Norton is that PC Magazine and PC World have name it their best security suite. The second reason is that PC Magazine also pointed out that only 2 of the Internet Suites had only a minor effect on the computer performance, Kaspersky and Norton. Norton is getting much better and PC Magazine timings of things such as boot up time prove that. Thanks again for all the help and I apologize if I've started a heated debate. I've found security is a love hate game. One person loves something and another hates it. Just like I would never use McAfee.

If PC Magazine told you to rub your head, and tab your belly at the same time, would you be doing it right now?

Polygon
April 2nd, 2009, 06:28 AM
Why?

point is, the attitude of people like the person i was quoting is unacceptable. Thinking that you are somehow 'awesome', and running without updating windows ever, anti virus software or even a firewall (even the default windows one) is just asking to have your computer turned into a zombie without your knowledge. there is really no reason for this. Turn on automatic updates, install any one of the many many many free anti virus programs, and turn on windows firewall. If everyone had done this, i wonder how many people would be inflicted with conflicker?

and anti virus software isn't a be all end all protection, but its like riding a motorcycle without a helmet, sure you can do it, but when things go wrong, you will be thankful you have protection

Phreaker
April 2nd, 2009, 06:30 AM
IMO Kaspersky is probably the best anvirius I know.
For free solutions I highly recommend avast

wrtpeeps
April 3rd, 2009, 12:27 PM
point is, the attitude of people like the person i was quoting is unacceptable. Thinking that you are somehow 'awesome', and running without updating windows ever, anti virus software or even a firewall (even the default windows one) is just asking to have your computer turned into a zombie without your knowledge. there is really no reason for this. Turn on automatic updates, install any one of the many many many free anti virus programs, and turn on windows firewall. If everyone had done this, i wonder how many people would be inflicted with conflicker?

and anti virus software isn't a be all end all protection, but its like riding a motorcycle without a helmet, sure you can do it, but when things go wrong, you will be thankful you have protection

Aye, I did mention updates right enough. Think you need to go back and re-read.

To prove me right, just ran a virus scan with AVG. Totally clean.

No antivirus installed on this laptop for over a year. Used for roughly 15 hours a day non stop on the net, no firewall, no antivirus, no virus.

So sit on that. :-$ :rolleyes:

khelben1979
April 3rd, 2009, 03:23 PM
Aye, I did mention updates right enough. Think you need to go back and re-read.

To prove me right, just ran a virus scan with AVG. Totally clean.

No antivirus installed on this laptop for over a year. Used for roughly 15 hours a day non stop on the net, no firewall, no antivirus, no virus.

So sit on that. :-$ :rolleyes:

If you have no viruses over there, good for you! However, just because one anti-virus reports that your system isn't infected, that doesn't prove that the system isn't.

Sophos (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sophos) is a pretty good anti-virus solution. You can install the trial version to see if it finds anything. Also BitDefender (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bitdefender) is pretty aggressive.

Mr. Picklesworth
April 3rd, 2009, 04:15 PM
I'm using Kaspersky. (Got it for free). It's never detected anything and it always whines about the virus database being out of date (duh! that's why you're updating automatically, clueless oaf!) because I hardly ever use Windows :P
It also "warns me" about the hotkey application for my laptop making weird system calls and it won't let me say "stop complaining and just let it happen from now on!" Instead I must hit Accept, Accept, Accept, Accept... very annoying. Probably bad programming on Asus' part. If only they used this program...
Then sometimes (before I disabled UAC) it would act as practically a second UAC prompt, giving me the same question with the same sort of "Yes or No" response.

It is light-weight, fast and supposedly effective, though.

Norton 09 actually isn't bad, based on my experience installing it for someone. It doesn't even demand rebooting Windows. It just works!
Now, Norton 08 on the other hand is why I wouldn't trust this product personally. That same person I installed 09 for had tried earlier, and somehow Norton 08's uninstaller (which it ran automatically) failed so miserably that it broke Windows' handlers for lnk and exe files. (As a result, nothing worked). We had to apply some horrible, loose, band-aid type patch to fix the problem.