PDA

View Full Version : %$#$%#$#@% puter!

Daremo_06
April 1st, 2009, 02:17 AM
So I could cry...

Bought a video card for my lenovo (8808-9hu) system so i could run dual monitors and have 3d support. Then i discover that the PCIe thats spec'ed in the support documentation is only on the motherboard and doesnt travel up the riserboard built in.

So... I find a PCIe 2u riser board for cheap money that will fit.

I got it today.

The %$#$%@#%$# PCIe slot is %$#$#@#$@ backwards! So when I plug in my new riser board, and then go to put in the video card, the rear end of the board where you would hook up your monitors... would be sitting basically on the CPU.

God I want to kill me some engineers right now...

Jerks!

Looks like I'll be buying a mobo and case now too... grumble...

gletob
April 1st, 2009, 03:22 AM
Small form factor systems are always a pain if your upgrading them. My theory is that PCs were never meant to be that small unless they're embedded. When I build my next desktop I'm going for full size ATX.

DeadSuperHero
April 1st, 2009, 05:27 AM
I sometimes get frustrated with having a PC. I prefer it over a Mac, but sometimes just the principle of the PC confounds me to no end.

For example, I have a Pentium 4 processor on my desktop. Not a bad little card, it runs at least.

However, I want to upgrade my processor and video card. I believe I have PCIE or something like that, I'm no expert. In order to upgrade my components, I have to:

1.) Get a new graphics card
2.) Get a new processor.
3.) Get a new motherboard.
4.) Get new RAM.
5.) Reinstall Ubuntu. (Or, if I want to go with Free-as-can-be drivers, gNewSense)

It's really a darned shame. I have to buy all these new things, and it really adds up in both money and time. So I'm stuck for the time being.

Luckily, I'll be getting a laptop for graduation this year, so at least I'll have something faster than what I've currently got.

Skripka
April 1st, 2009, 05:38 AM
I sometimes get frustrated with having a PC. I prefer it over a Mac, but sometimes just the principle of the PC confounds me to no end.

For example, I have a Pentium 4 processor on my desktop. Not a bad little card, it runs at least.

However, I want to upgrade my processor and video card. I believe I have PCIE or something like that, I'm no expert. In order to upgrade my components, I have to:

1.) Get a new graphics card
2.) Get a new processor.
3.) Get a new motherboard.
4.) Get new RAM.
5.) Reinstall Ubuntu. (Or, if I want to go with Free-as-can-be drivers, gNewSense)

It's really a darned shame. I have to buy all these new things, and it really adds up in both money and time. So I'm stuck for the time being.

Luckily, I'll be getting a laptop for graduation this year, so at least I'll have something faster than what I've currently got.

It adds up to starting at about $300 or so, and a small bit of an afternoon-yes. Anything worthwhile requires some effort.

bgerlich
April 1st, 2009, 05:41 AM

Macs are not only PC's they are also IBM PC compatible.

DeadSuperHero
April 1st, 2009, 05:43 AM
Macs are not only PC's they are also IBM PC compatible.
Really? I thought that it was only in the Mac Pro's that you could swap out the hardware components.

bgerlich
April 1st, 2009, 05:48 AM
Every one produced after 2006 is IBM PC compatible. You can swap whatever you like, install Linux, FreeBSD, Windows on it. When adding some hardware there can be compatibility problems with OS X, but the Mac is a IBM PC (compatible) now, to the core, which is x86 ;)