PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Best choice if installing in April before the 23rd

gfe
April 1st, 2009, 02:16 AM
I'm sorry if this has been asked already ... I looked around and couldn't find the same question, as there are so many ...

Anyway, my motherboard got fried and I'm getting a used computer in about a week to replace it. So that means I'll be installing the operating system just a couple weeks before the new version comes out.

Which would make things the easiest if I want to update to 9.04 fairly soon? Install the beta and then update to the stable version, or install 8.04 or 8.10 and then migrate to the new version? I'm concerned that if I do the former it'll not be stable enough, and I'm concerned that if I do the latter I'll lose a lot of my settings and that sort of thing with the switch.

My first choice would be to simply wait until the 23rd, but that's not really an option. Any advice? Thanks!

Partyboi2
April 1st, 2009, 06:09 AM
You should be fine installing jaunty and as long as you are current with your updates when its released you will be running the released version.

WilliamJenningsBryan
April 1st, 2009, 01:23 PM
If you're especially concerned about stability, check out the known bugs and issues to see if there is anything in particular that might affect you.

Other than that, I agree that you would be safe installing the 9.04 beta and installing updates. Installing 8.10 and upgrading afterwards is also a good choice if you'd like to be cautious, but Jaunty is close enough to release that it should be safe.

gfe
April 1st, 2009, 04:09 PM
Thanks, all. I'll give the beta a try first. Definitely looking forward to Jaunty!