PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Input on Project Idea

Peasantoid
April 1st, 2009, 01:38 AM
Due to being bored out of my skull, I'm thinking of starting a project. So far, it's as follows:

Written in PHP
Web forum or something similar
Minimal
Database agnosticism, by means of driver files that conform to a specific API
Not extensible by "plug-ins", but extremely easy to hack (in the good sense)

Because no one ever uses something they hate unless forced to at gunpoint, I'm searching for input from the hacker community. What do you want to see in this project? Anything is welcome!

Also: Thinking of calling it something like "Verdant". Ideas for names are especially welcome.

Peasantoid
April 1st, 2009, 12:14 PM
What, is no one interested?

hessiess
April 1st, 2009, 03:22 PM
There are already a number of PHP forums and CMS's, try to think of something unique.

simeon87
April 1st, 2009, 06:12 PM
there are already a number of php forums and cms's, try to think of something unique.

+1.

nvteighen
April 1st, 2009, 08:37 PM
Write a Syntax Parser able to analyze Shakespeare's Hamlet... :p

Peasantoid
April 1st, 2009, 08:55 PM
Thanks for the advice (cold though it was). Scrap this idea, then.

Wasn't the forum somewhat friendlier a while ago?

Drone022
April 1st, 2009, 09:04 PM
Sometimes you gotta be cruel to be kind.

Peasantoid
April 1st, 2009, 09:25 PM
That doesn't make a whole lot of sense, but whatever. :)

/me shrugs

Drone022
April 1st, 2009, 09:56 PM
Yeah sorry, what I mean is that if you want to start a project that people will be interested in, then it's best to find out before you begin that it might not live up to your expectations as far as interest levels go, rather than finding out half way through.

If that's the project you wanna do though, then go ahead. I regularly embark on stuff I'm interested in, knowing full well that there's the possibility no one else cares about the result.

I find myself "re-inventing the wheel" a lot just so I could see how the wheel was made. No harm in it.

Peasantoid
April 1st, 2009, 09:59 PM
Well, I like inventing stuff, and wheels are awesome, so...