PDA

View Full Version : UBUNTU vs WINDOWS comparison essay

gschier
April 1st, 2009, 01:33 AM
HELLO everyone, this is my first post. I have written an essay for my english 135 class and would like some feedback, editing, suggestions, etc. thanks :popcorn:

Linux Ubuntu Beats Microsoft Windows

It is commonly known to most of the general population that Microsoft Windows in the most dominant operating system used for computing. However, there is an operating system that has been around long before Windows was even created; that operating system is known as Linux. Linux, unlike Windows, is a family of operating systems and has many variations because of its open-source capability, which means that anyone can modify the source code and create a custom operating system from it and redistribute it. Perhaps one of the most popular versions of the Linux operating system is Linux Ubuntu. Similar to Windows, Ubuntu is an operating system which has new releases periodically that are maintained and distributed by an organization named Canonical Ltd. There are many similarities between Windows and Ubuntu but there are also many differences that make Ubuntu stand out. Ubuntu is a better operating system because of its adaptability, free and open-source distribution, and also its security and protection features.

While most Linux distributions are for advanced computer users, Ubuntu was designed to be extremely user friendly and adaptable to the general public. Most people generally avoid Linux because they believe it will be harder to use than their current operating system. However, contrary to many beliefs, Ubuntu "out of the box" is very similar to Windows. Ubuntu includes a panel at the top of the screen with a menu, much like Windows, which is used to see programs, browse file directories, and edit system preferences. The panel also shows the time and date, currently opened windows, and many more convenient applets. In addition to this, a user is able to add more panels to any side of the screen as well as add more features such as weather status, a battery monitor and a CPU usage meter with a few simple clicks. Another reason why people tend to shy away from Linux is because it is hard to install programs since it has to be done manually most of the time by means of code and commands. The general user prefers a step by step, visual process such as the one used by Windows programs. This is why the makers of Ubuntu have provided a visual interface that allows the user to easily find and install programs. The interface shows a categorized list of hundreds of programs available (including popularity ratings and description) at the click of a button. It then downloads the selected programs from the Internet and installs them automatically. This process only involves one click, whereas in Windows, a user has to sit through multiple windows and agree to disclaimers, uncheck unwanted "add-ons," etc. If these features aren't enough to convince the average Windows user, Ubuntu also has an application known as Wine, which is a Windows machine emulator that makes it possible to install almost any windows program and run it alongside Ubuntu. Among these convenient features, another desirable attribute of Ubuntu is the cost.

Perhaps one of the most important things to know about Ubuntu and all other Linux distributions is that it is completely free and it is open-source (can be modified by anyone and redistributed). The free aspect is beneficial to the public and especially beneficial to large businesses that require installing hundreds of operating systems at a time. Not only is the operating system free, but all of the programs available to Linux users are free as well, which means that companies can save thousands of dollars on software and focus their budget on more important areas. Getting software for free is also appealing because instead of going to the store or buying software on-line, this step can be skipped and time and money can be saved. Moreover, the open-source concept of software is mostly beneficial to the advanced user, but this also affects the general user significantly. For example, if a person wanted his or her word processing program to have a new feature, or a customized toolbar, he or she could modify the existing code and post it on the Internet to make available to the public. Modifications like this are common in the Linux community and help the usability and quality of software grow at a very fast pace. This is not possible in Windows because copy-write laws make it illegal to modify and redistribute programs to the public, but even with these strict laws many Windows users still download pirated software because it is easy to get away with. However, this can lead to the main cause of what Windows users fear the most: viruses.

Most people who own a computer today are aware of the risk viruses as well as losing personal or confidential information over the Internet, which comes to another reason to choose Ubuntu. Getting a virus on Ubuntu is about as likely as getting hit by a car. Windows is easily susceptible to viruses because it allows applications to freely access system files without authentication. A virus is able to get into the system files and alter them to easily take over the whole computer. On Ubuntu, the system files are highly protected and do not allow access to programs without the root password from the user, so the only thing that the virus can do is access the home directory (called "My Documents" in Windows). This however, can be easily avoided by setting the permissions of the home directory to "read-only" from the preferences menu. Also, for those who like to feel extra safe there are multiple anti-virus programs available for Ubuntu even though they are not necessarily needed.

In conclusion, Ubuntu has many feature which make it stand out from Windows, as well as many features which make it similar to Windows and easily adaptable for a Windows user. Ubuntu can save home users and businesses money unlike other operating systems costing over $100 each; Ubuntu can also provide inexperienced computer users with an easy to use interface combined with unlimited ways to modify it, and most of all, Ubuntu can provide everyone with the security and protection they require in order to have the safest computing experience possible. It is hard to believe that Ubuntu started as a simple idea, and with the input of the community and its users, has grown into a huge project which is now capable of threatening even Microsoft! It is because of this that the Linux Ubuntu operating system is worth switching to and this is why so many people are already joining the Ubuntu revolution and enjoying the freedom and versatility of Ubuntu.

wrtpeeps
April 1st, 2009, 01:36 AM
The best essays are able to show both sides of the argument.

cardinals_fan
April 1st, 2009, 01:44 AM
Enabling a limited account in Windows isn't rocket science. Ubuntu's defaults are far better, but incompetence will out on any system.

dragos240
April 1st, 2009, 01:46 AM
The best essays are able to show both sides of the argument.

+1

Your teacher may not take you seriously if you don't list advantages for both OS'es.

wrtpeeps
April 1st, 2009, 01:47 AM
Unless your english teacher is a secret computer lover then the technical details won't actually matter.

You just need to be able to show that you know how to sit down and look at something, and get the pro's and con's of each, and weigh them up.

I was always told:

Introduction

Main essay (say 6 points, 4 pro-ubuntu and 2 pro-windows)

Conclusion (sum it up)

I-75
April 1st, 2009, 02:10 AM
XP and Ubuntu can both run on 512 MB ram. But both do better with 1 GB ram.

Windows and Ubuntu can both run

Firefox
VLC
Real Player
Gimp
Open Office
Nero

Able to

Burn CD's
Burn DVD's
Watch DVD's
Play MP3's
Watch You Tube Videos
Email
Instant Messenger
Wireless

Both have great support. Windows usually has great paid support and some great helpful forums. Ubuntu and Linux in general has outstanding free support from forums like this 24/7 365 all hours of the day or night. Plus there are a number of great Linux podcasts and how to videos on You Tube.

aeiah
April 1st, 2009, 02:19 AM
psst, windows is older than linux ;)

autocrosser
April 1st, 2009, 02:24 AM
Take a look at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix (older than all of them & the one you "really" mean)...

The real beginnings of Linux: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux

History on Windows: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windows

And make sure you include the sources in your essay.........I remember programming in UNIX in the early 70's---was earth-shaking stuff back then.......

swoll1980
April 1st, 2009, 02:52 AM
+1

Your teacher may not take you seriously if you don't list advantages for both OS'es.

What if he felt their were no advantage to using Windows? Should he lie.

swoll1980
April 1st, 2009, 03:01 AM
Really?

wrtpeeps
April 1st, 2009, 03:10 AM
What if he felt their were no advantage to using Windows? Should he lie.

But there are. There are ALWAYS two sides to every story.

swoll1980
April 1st, 2009, 03:16 AM
But there are. There are ALWAYS two sides to every story.

That's subjective though. I also find advantages in the Windows OS, but that doesn't mean everyone has too. To each there own.

SuperSonic4
April 1st, 2009, 03:19 AM
That's subjective though. I also find advantages in the Windows OS, but that doesn't mean everyone has too. To each there own.

Then he should say what the average user would like about windows. Preinstalled codecs could be an example.

what course level is English 135? If it's high level you'd probably have to use sources to back up anything you pass off as fact

swoll1980
April 1st, 2009, 03:23 AM
Then he should say what the average user would like about windows. Preinstalled codecs could be an example.

If you install a fresh copy of Windows you have to chase down codecs as well. Most codecs are part of the manufacturers install, not Windows, although windows does come with a limited amount.

wrtpeeps
April 1st, 2009, 03:23 AM

To each their own, blah blah blah.

The fact remains the best essays will show both sides of the argument, and in this case there is certainly two sides.

SuperSonic4
April 1st, 2009, 03:29 AM
If you install a fresh copy of Windows you have to chase down codecs as well. Most codecs are part of the manufacturers install, not Windows, although windows does come with a limited amount.

Maybe codecs wasn't the best example. However, windows is undeniably better for PC Gaming

wrtpeeps
April 1st, 2009, 03:31 AM
Being unable to accept that the opposition has plus points is a weakness in one's debating skills.

swoll1980
April 1st, 2009, 03:33 AM
I guess I'm won't argue anymore, you guys obviously aren't going to except the fact that all this is subjective, and not everyone shares your views.

wrtpeeps
April 1st, 2009, 03:34 AM
I guess I'm won't argue anymore, you guys obviously aren't going to except the fact that all this is subjective, and not everyone shares your views.

We aren't talking about views. We are talking about facts, in this particular case the facts that make up a proper essay.

You are the one with the problem. You've been listening to the ultra-free-freaks too much.

swoll1980
April 1st, 2009, 03:37 AM
Being unable to accept that the opposition has plus points is a weakness in one's debating skills.

If your in a debate you take a side, you don't acknowledge anything positive about your opposition. I was in sales for years, I never once said a good thing about my competition, nor would it be an intelligent thing to do, unless you want the customer to go elsewhere.

wrtpeeps
April 1st, 2009, 03:41 AM
If your in a debate you take a side, you don't acknowledge anything positive about your opposition. I was in sales for years, I never once said a good thing about my competition, nor would it be an intelligent thing to do, unless you want the customer to go elsewhere.

You've obviously never had to write an essay like the OP then.

Any teacher worth his money will tell you that you MUST look at both sides of the argument and demonstrate that you have done so, else your essay is moot.

Just because the OP acknowledges that Windows has plus points doesn't mean the free software community will crumble, so you can calm down. More important things in life to worry about than this rubbish.

swoll1980
April 1st, 2009, 03:42 AM
We aren't talking about views. We are talking about facts, in this particular case the facts that make up a proper essay.

You are the one with the problem. You've been listening to the ultra-free-freaks too much.

I like a few things about Windows, but they are things I like. "Windows is better for games" while I completely agree with this, it is 100% opinion. "Those games are better" is not a fact, it's subjective. "Windows starts with a W" that's a fact. See the difference?

wrtpeeps
April 1st, 2009, 03:48 AM
I like a few things about Windows, but they are things I like. "Windows is better for games" while I completely agree with this, it is 100% opinion. "Those games are better" is not a fact, it's subjective. "Windows starts with a W" that's a fact. See the difference?

You do realise, that everything he writes in his essay will be opinion. He's not going to say "X feature in Windows is better than Y feature in Ubuntu. Fact."

And to preempt your yapping about "so what if he has the opinion that there is nothing better on windows", are you telling me that he could say gaming is better on Ubuntu?

OP, if you're stuck, two Windows positives that few people will argue with:

1. Gaming
2. Hardware support

ninjapirate89
April 1st, 2009, 03:51 AM
Getting a virus on Ubuntu is about as likely as getting hit by a car.

This is the only thing I would personally change. You are MUCH more likely to get hit by a car! ;)

Edit -> Maybe a meteor instead!

bgerlich
April 1st, 2009, 03:53 AM

An essay is a short form that isn't supposed to show all sides of an argument, it is supposed to present a thesis from a point of view. It is an attempt to present ones train of thought on a subject. Essay should go coherently from a thesis, through some supporting arguments (three in canonical form) to a summary. It is not supposed to present all sides of a dispute.

Academic essays are kind of different but this isn't one.

wrtpeeps
April 1st, 2009, 03:56 AM
An essay is a short form that isn't supposed to show all sides of an argument, it is supposed to present a thesis from a point of view. It is an attempt to present ones train of thought on a subject. Essay should go coherently from a thesis, through some supporting arguments (three in canonical form) to a summary. It is not supposed to present all sides of a dispute.

Academic essays are kind of different but this isn't one.
He's writing the essay for his english class. That, my friend, is the definition of academic. ;)

swoll1980
April 1st, 2009, 03:56 AM
You do realise, that everything he writes in his essay will be opinion.

=D> Now you got it! And I don't know him, so I can't say whether or not he thinks Windows games are better, but believe it, or not there are people out there that don't like the same games as you.

wrtpeeps
April 1st, 2009, 03:59 AM
=D> Now you got it! And I don't know him, so I can't say whether or not he thinks Windows game are better, but believe it, or not there are people out there that don't like the same games as you.

I was talking about specific games?

Once again, the point goes woooooooooooosh over your head.

bgerlich
April 1st, 2009, 04:02 AM
He's writing the essay for his english class. That, my friend, is the definition of academic. ;)

Nope, that is an essay. An academic essay is about 5000 words, contains a bibliography, quotations and begins with a literary review, or analysis as you will. What he is trying to write is a classical three argument essay.

swoll1980
April 1st, 2009, 04:05 AM
I was talking about specific games?

Once again, the point goes woooooooooooosh over your head.

Sorry buddy... I don't get what your argument is. Are you trying to say that "Gaming is better in Windows" is a matter of fact? If you want that argument to stick your going to have to rewrite the definition of the words fact, and opinion, in a few million dictionaries.

also saying things like x is going over my head is not how you make a case for yourself. Just because I don't agree with your argument doesn't make me stupid, there you go thinking the world shares a brain with you again.

wrtpeeps
April 1st, 2009, 04:07 AM
Sorry buddy... I don't get what your argument is. Are you trying to say that "Gaming is better in Windows" is a matter of fact? If you want that argument to stick your going to have to rewrite the definition of the words fact, and opinion, in a few million dictionaries

Windows has better gaming support. Do you dispute this?

abyssius
April 1st, 2009, 04:07 AM
Most English teachers would be more concerned about the composition construction (grammar, vocabulary, sentence structure, etc.) rather than the pertinence of the chosen subject matter.

To OP: Some minor suggestions:

Most people who own a computer today are aware of the risk viruses (sugg. virus risks) as well as losing personal or confidential information over the Internet,

In conclusion, Ubuntu has many feature (sugg. features)

gschier
April 1st, 2009, 04:12 AM
Thanks everyone for the quick replies, this is due tomorrow and i would like to get a good mark. By the way it is an argumentative essay not an expository one, so i am supposed to argue why ubuntu is better, not show both sides. :p

wrtpeeps
April 1st, 2009, 04:15 AM
You're still supposed to show both sides in an argumentative essay.

It's to show that you've looked at it from both angles, and then made your decision based on the points you make.

All you have to make sure is, you make more positive points for the side you are going to end up taking (so in this case, make sure you list more Ubuntu positives).

swoll1980
April 1st, 2009, 04:16 AM
Windows has better gaming support. Do you dispute this?

Not at all, I agree 100%, but this is our opinion. We can't force our likes, and dislikes on other people. If he feels that Windows games are better, and wants to add it to his essay then that's up to him. It's not going to affect his grade if he doesn't praise Windows. The argument that he might not see anything good about Windows is valid, and until he says otherwise has to be considered a possibility.

This notion that he has to have some positive things to say is ridiculous. If he was against the death penalty would you force him to wright positive things about it?

wrtpeeps
April 1st, 2009, 04:18 AM
Not at all, I agree 100%, but this is our opinion. We can't force our likes, and dislikes on other people. If he feels that Windows games are better, and wants to add it to his essay then that's up to him. It's not going to affect his grade if he doesn't praise Windows. The argument that he might not see anything good about Windows is valid, and until he says otherwise has to be considered a possibility.

This notion that he has to have some positive things to say is ridiculous. If he was against the death penalty would you force him to wright positive things about it?

He'd be expected to show that he has examined the other side of the argument. For example, in this case, it may deter criminals more than prison (again, I'm guessing as I'm in the UK and not the US).

overdrank
April 1st, 2009, 04:23 AM
Thanks everyone for the quick replies, this is due tomorrow and i would like to get a good mark. By the way it is an argumentative essay not an expository one, so i am supposed to argue why ubuntu is better, not show both sides. :p

From the COC

While we are happy to serve as a resource for hints and for asking questions when you get stuck and need a little help, the Ubuntu Forums should not be thought of as a homework service. Please do not post your homework assignments expecting someone else to do it for you. Any such threads will be taken offline and warnings or infractions may be issued.