PDA

View Full Version : Free the fish

orlox
April 1st, 2009, 12:18 AM
Hi, I suppose many here now the "free the fish" gnome easter egg, just press alt+F2, run "free the fish" and an animated fish will start swimming around your desktop. My question is...Is there any way to make it start on startup??

dragos240
April 1st, 2009, 01:15 AM
I would try to find the application it launches and then add it to the startup programs, and I also didn't know this Easter egg! Thanks, I will now tell you one, if you have a gamecube, you can change the startup sound by holding "Z" at startup, and also if 4 controlers are connected, you can also tell them to hold "Z" and it will change it yet again.

Therion
April 1st, 2009, 01:22 AM
I know this "egg" by right-clicking a blank area on a gnome panel, then on "About Panels" and typing fff.

Go, fishy, go!

killall gnome-panel in a Terminal will flush the fish.

Sealbhach
April 1st, 2009, 01:32 AM
I guess you could add it to Startup Applications with the command "free the fish". Look in your System/Preferences menu.

EDIT: I tried that, didn't work.

orlox
April 1st, 2009, 01:50 AM
I guess you could add it to Startup Applications with the command "free the fish". Look in your System/Preferences menu.

EDIT: I tried that, didn't work.

Nope, that would call the free command with the arguments "the" and "fish", and the free command has nothing to do with flying fishes that run away when you click them...this thing is just an easter egg, not precisely a command that one runs...

I thought on finding the proccess name but top doesnt show anything significant...

dragos240
April 1st, 2009, 01:52 AM
I am positive that is indeed an application that runs within gnome-panel, although, i do not know much more.

orlox
April 1st, 2009, 02:03 AM
Well, after running it, top shows more activity from gnome-panel...

dragos240
April 1st, 2009, 02:05 AM
Well, after running it, top shows more activity from gnome-panel...

which proves my point.

3rdalbum
April 1st, 2009, 02:30 AM
I just added the "Fish" applet to my panel today. Wanda is upside down and when I click on her, I get a dialog box saying "The water needs changing Look at today's date!". Today's date is April 1st. Is this an easter egg?

orlox
April 1st, 2009, 02:52 AM
I added a wanda to my panel to see if this happens too. I have two hours yet to aprils fool though. Wanda doesnt seem to be having trouble...

3rdalbum
April 1st, 2009, 05:52 AM
I tried changing the date; yes it's an easter egg :-) Oh, and you know how it's sorta not April Fools Day after midday? ;-)

orlox
April 1st, 2009, 07:06 PM
Jajajaj, never heard about that one...my wanda was belly up at midnight, but now shes fully recovered

s.fox
April 1st, 2009, 07:09 PM
I made the foolish mistake of running that command earlier.

Could I kill the fish? No... :lolflag:

capnthommo
April 1st, 2009, 08:42 PM
hi
i would also really like to know how to add free the fish as a start on boot option. i often forget to let her out and i am sure she misses the freedom.
cheers all
nigel

JaxJagsfan
April 10th, 2009, 05:47 PM
I read an article on http://www.computerworld.com about easter eggs on Ubuntu 8.10 where it said to do Alt-F2 then when the command box pops up, type free the fish into that box. I did that and a fish starts swimming across my screen. It was amusing at first but now getting annoying to me by continuing to swim across my screen. How do I kill it?

steeleyuk
April 10th, 2009, 05:51 PM
Type 'kill-all gnome-panel' to get rid.

The top and bottom panels will disappear for a few seconds while they reload.