PDA

View Full Version : first post for an old school

Herios
January 2nd, 2006, 04:24 AM
hello people, used to surf old school pirate bulletin boards. finally got a computer of my own decades later. been following things from the sidelines though. going to try to get ubunto going on my laptop. love the open source concept. Advice on anything would be much appreciated.

mazelado
January 2nd, 2006, 04:30 AM
Getting Ubuntu going is relatively easy. Once it's installed, go through the Starter Guide for some helpful tips:

http://help.ubuntu.com/starterguide/C/faqguide-all.html

mstlyevil
January 2nd, 2006, 04:31 AM
Use Automatix if you want an easy install of the most popular packages. Welcome to Ubuntu.

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=80295

Click on this link for Automatix.

Herios
January 2nd, 2006, 04:53 AM
muchs thanks just what the doctor ordered

xequence
January 2nd, 2006, 05:42 AM
hello people, used to surf old school pirate bulletin boards.

Lucky -.-

poofyhairguy
January 2nd, 2006, 10:18 AM
Welcome and good luck.

Herios
January 3rd, 2006, 07:51 AM
Thanks again for response. Lot more sophisticated than old school dial-up numbers. It's been awhile. Seems like it is all based on the same concept though with enough bells and whistles to choke Mr.gates.

Herios
January 17th, 2006, 07:10 AM
just wondering if anyone still viewing this thread. right terminology?

got ubunto going dual booted with xp, installed automatrix.

seem to like this envirement. dicing up the hard disk felt good and installing grub also. thanx for response. just getting used to this open source envirement but so far so good.:cool:

Iandefor
January 17th, 2006, 08:33 AM
just wondering if anyone still viewing this thread. right terminology?

got ubunto going dual booted with xp, installed automatrix.

seem to like this envirement. dicing up the hard disk felt good and installing grub also. thanx for response. just getting used to this open source envirement but so far so good.:cool: Good deal! I encourage you to play around. Right now I'm installing KDE 3.5 and plan on installing E17 after that. Play around and see what it is that you like for your computer.

Derek Djons
January 17th, 2006, 10:44 AM
Welcome and enjoy your stay.

borisattva
January 17th, 2006, 11:00 AM
welcome.

i cant really call my self old school as i jumped into the pc scene around '93.

but i remember BBS scene vividly :)

still miss that undergound feel to things, when digits were traded personally or found through redial macros...

anyways, i think youll like ubuntu/linux/command prompt way of things, even if it takes a little getting used to.

i'm new to this myself but i'll glady help if i can.

Herios
January 18th, 2006, 09:58 AM
Damn didn't think anyone would actually respond.

Aahhh, BBS haven't heard that in awhile. when microsoft was a monthly gaming software distro like weekly reader, and they were pretty lame back then. gates can't fool me he's still a huge nerdbomber that just trys to be with it.

sierra kicked ass, liesure suit larry was the man, and the movie wargames was the level you wanted to get to.

like working with the terminal in linux but realize the need for window configuration. ( for greyhairs, computer illiterate and visual pleasure. )
have new school friend that says most prefer kde over gnome. not sure of the diff but would like to know.

welcome me thank you may open source take over the cpu:D

borisattva
January 18th, 2006, 10:12 AM
gnome vs kde

when i first tried linux distros several years ago, i found KDE more familuar in navigation to windows, in that it had alot of options to click giving you multiple points to explore, so i chose that over winice, enlightenment, gnome.

now several years later, discovering ubuntu for the first time i booted into gnome and actually liked it enough to stick with.

out of curicoity i installed KDE into it, and cringed when clicking on an icon once, loaded it. for this and a handfull other reason i removed it completely and been using gnome ever since.

at this point i think i still apprecaite the swis army knife versatility, i just dont want it to be in my face at all times.
gnome appears to provide just that.

one hint i learned and apprecaite alot is Ctrl+L while in Nautilus windows (file manager) it gives you immediate access to the written path of wherever you are.

which ever one you choose is really a matter of personal preference. i say install both and feel it out for yourself.

BoyOfDestiny
January 18th, 2006, 02:47 PM
Welcome!

Happy to report I can run my sierra games under Ubuntu better than under DOS (thanks to dosbox, tested on x86 and amd64). So if you can find your disks for larry, you'll be golden!

As for old school, there is a nice demo called bb in the repos (you'll find dosbox in the repos too)...

Anyway your post "inspired" me to google for old school stuff linux style, turns out there is a unix scene site...

http://unixscene.kameli.net/?choice=news

Been a long time since I saw any cool demos...

Herios
January 19th, 2006, 07:39 AM
thanks for the kde/gnome info might mess around with kde when i have time

i think larry shall be the first game i throw on my linux

sorry for short fragment sentence post

Herios
January 20th, 2006, 09:36 AM
hello again late night riders.

or for those on the other side of the globe. this is my random chat post after last nights fragment sentence.

borisattva, much appreciate offer of assistance. curious about posting quotes in these threads (howto) could probly find on my own but personal touch is nice. things have definately changed a bit since trading bbs numbers. don't quite remember macro re-dial. undeground feeling was nice seems like there must be some type of scene still here buried underneath the web of confusion.

b.o.d, sweet on the dosbox tip my friend was telling me about virtual pcz running under different os's when i talked about runnig larry. sounds like dosbox. glad to inspire, will check out demo but not sure which is the bb and i think i might need to get sdl and others to run.

much thanks again to all for postin this thread and sorry if my post etiquet is bad.

from fragment sentence to random run on

-trial by fire throw me to the crucible-

Bandit
January 20th, 2006, 10:02 AM
Welcome, stop by my website if you get a chance..

Herios
February 13th, 2006, 08:04 AM
haven't posted in a bit been tooling around with ubuntu. been figuring out gimp trying to learn some c programming and web design.

borisattva, much appreciate offer of assistance. curious about posting quotes in these threads (howto) could probly find on my own but personal touch is nice. things have definately changed a bit since trading bbs numbers. don't quite remember macro re-dial. undeground feeling was nice seems like there must be some type of scene still here buried underneath the web of confusion.

figured that out, i've been known to ask stupid questions

checked out bandits page couldn't figure out how to see themes but web design is rather nice.

just another holla in the dark:-\"