PDA

View Full Version : anyone with experience with Suse Linux Desktop 11?

jdrodrig
March 31st, 2009, 10:11 PM
I was just wondering whether anyone have a good word for Novell Suse Linux Desktop 11?

Having some decent IRS refund money on the way, I was trying to conclude if there is any real benefit of spending the 60 bucks of such linux distribution?

After all, now is the time to consume right? to push this country out of recession! =)

inobe
March 31st, 2009, 10:19 PM
nope just opensuse.

i do purchase the support even if i do not need it just to obtain the pretty box set..

sgosnell
April 1st, 2009, 12:02 AM
No need to pay for it, it's free. I tried it, and went back to Ubuntu. It works, as does Fedora, it's just a matter of taste. My taste leans more to Ubuntu.

jdrodrig
April 1st, 2009, 01:44 AM
They claim it includes modified versions of Evolution and OpenOffice...any merit on that or other software they include?

sgosnell
April 1st, 2009, 02:50 AM
I couldn't tell any difference. I used it for a month or so, and just decided that I didn't like it that much. It was a purely subjective decision.

mamamia88
April 1st, 2009, 02:52 AM
i tried the latest version of opensuse but honestly didn't care for it

inobe
April 1st, 2009, 06:01 AM
yast is pretty sweet, the firewall and sys settings etc....

x58
April 1st, 2009, 01:49 PM
Linux is free, so why you pay for it? To have better look? Yes Suse Linux Desktop 11 is very nice, but it cost the money. I don't have money, I prefer free desktop like Gnom ect.ect

mbott
April 7th, 2009, 12:55 PM
i tried the latest version of opensuse but honestly didn't care for it

I tried it, too as I was looking for easier wireless support than Ubuntu has for my Atheros card, but it lasted all of a day. Where Ubuntu runs great on my Compaq, openSUSE was slow. I'm also not big on the color green. :)

--
Mike

amitabhishek
April 7th, 2009, 01:28 PM
If at all, install OpenSuse and buy a book (on Suse) instead. The money will be well spent.

gnomeuser
April 7th, 2009, 02:23 PM
It is definitely a very slick distro and Novell provide superb support. Novell has a very nice product that is sure to please.

You might want to start with the free 60 day trial to see if it is to your taste but it is a very nice product if I might say so.

Novell know how to deliver a nice package that looks and feels slick and SLED 11 is just that.

jdrodrig
April 8th, 2009, 02:50 PM
Thanks for all your comments. I am so far, leaning toward dropping the SLED 11. But I will give it a couple more days...

so far, having to deal with a different way to install packages (vs Ubuntu's that through sweat and tears I think I understand better) has been the dealbreaker for me....

lykwydchykyn
April 8th, 2009, 02:55 PM
Haven't tried 11, just 10. It was sure pretty, but the biggest limitation for me were the repositories. They just don't have nearly the amount of software available that Ubuntu or Debian have. If there are some "unofficial" YaST repos out there, I didn't find them.

Don't know about the modified version of Evolution, but as far as I know Novell uses the same OpenOffice version that Ubuntu and Debian use: www.go-ooo.org. Novell just likes to make it sound like only they have this special version -- though to be fair, I believe they sponsor go-ooo.

helliewm
April 8th, 2009, 03:25 PM
Yes I started with SUSE SLED 10 it was on the front of Linux Format Magazine in the UK 3 years ago now. An excellent first distro while you find your feet. It configured everything including my Nvidia Graphics Card for me. Again it was the repositories that where the problem for me. Plus I quickly found UBuntu.

A good first distro for anyone going over to Linux 100% and going cold turkey like I did. I was determined not to use XP because of WGA. I have not used Windows at all for 3 years now. I was determined to go cold turkey 100% over to Linux. A steep learning curve but so pleased I did it that way.

Helen

Edit: My the time the 3 months free updates had ended I knew what I was doing enough and was confident enough to try other disto's. Had found Ubuntu by then:D

I would along with Ubuntu recommend SUSE SLED for someone new to Linux.