PDA

View Full Version : What is the price of Windows XP? I intend to sue Dixons Group for refusing to refund!

Pipps
March 31st, 2009, 08:30 PM
I am in the initial stages of suing Dixons Group in the UK for refusing to provide a refund for the value of the Windows XP software which was included with the Advent 4211 notebook which I purchased, and which I have used solely with Ubuntu since the very first boot of the machine on the day of purchase.

So what would be the open market value of Windows XP at this time?

(PS: I should be grateful if this discussion would be kept solely to the pricing of the inferior Windows XP operating system, rather than any perceived legal merits of my case. Thank you!)

kanikilu
March 31st, 2009, 08:33 PM
Which version? Looks like the Home edition is around US$100. Pro seems to be quite a bit more than that, ~$450.

DeMus
March 31st, 2009, 08:33 PM
I am in the initial stages of suing Dixons Group in the UK for refusing to provide a refund for the value of the Windows XP software which was included with the Advent 4211 notebook which I purchased, and which I have used solely with Ubuntu since the very first boot of the machine on the day of purchase.

So what would be the open market value of Windows XP at this time?

(PS: I should be grateful if this discussion would be kept solely to the pricing of the inferior Windows XP operating system, rather than any perceived legal merits of my case. Thank you!)

An OEM version of XP would cost about € 70-80. I don't know the exchange rate for the British pound, but I guess you do.

Pipps
March 31st, 2009, 08:36 PM
Allow me to clarify - as I did not make this clear in my opening post:

I would like to know the value of a European User Licence for Windows XP, rather than the whole price of the licence and the software. Thank you.

DeMus
March 31st, 2009, 08:48 PM
Allow me to clarify - as I did not make this clear in my opening post:

I would like to know the value of a European User Licence for Windows XP, rather than the whole price of the licence and the software. Thank you.

Well, I bought an OEM version last year, it was the 64-bit pro version, and that cost me around € 120. I know the oem 32-bit home version is around € 70-80. That is the cd with the license. I have no idea about only a license. Did you buy a Windows CD with your computer? If so you also need the total prize.

I still wonder what your intentions are. I mean you did buy a PC with Windows and now you want to get the money back because you didn't use it. Why not buy a pc without Windows?
As if you buy a car with AC, and after 4 years when selling the car you say I never used the AC, so give me money.

pennacook
March 31st, 2009, 08:53 PM
Have to agree with DeMus on this. If the laptop came preloaded with XP, you paid for it. If they gave you the option of what was to be installed, that would be another matter.:KS

Pipps
March 31st, 2009, 09:20 PM
As I mentioned in my first post, I really don't want to discuss any perceived legal merits of the endeavour.

I would be grateful to just establish the current market value of a Windows XP EU user licence. Thank you.

Pipps
April 1st, 2009, 09:46 AM
Let's not talk about the legal issues, please!

Would you offer an estimate as to the Sterling value of the EULA at present?

SeanHodges
April 1st, 2009, 10:28 AM
Let's not talk about the legal issues, please!

Fair enough, though it seems "legal issues" are exactly the sort of thing you should be researching when suing a big organisation...

Would you offer an estimate as to the Sterling value of the EULA at present?

As people have pointed out before, you don't pay for an EULA on it's own. Without the software it's pretty much worthless anyway, unless you are dealing with volume licences...

Seems to vary between £80 and £100: http://prices.cnet.co.uk/0,39100441,16849670,00.htm. Remember that vendors often get an undisclosed discount on the copies that they bundle, but unless they disclose this discount value I'm not sure if they'll be able to argue this (IANAL).

Pipps
April 1st, 2009, 10:29 AM
Thank you Einstein, but the legal issues have already been more than adequately researched elsewhere, which is why I do not wish to idly discuss them any further with YOU!

):P

TyrantWave
April 1st, 2009, 10:43 AM
10 seconds in google got this (http://www.google.co.uk/products?hl=en&q=Microsoft+XP+Licence&cr=countryUK|countryGB&um=1&ie=UTF-8&ei=rDbTSe34Cc7R-QbIsZW2BQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&resnum=1&ct=title)

You can't buy just a licence on it's own, so finding a cost for it is gonna be a bit hard, no?

frodon
April 1st, 2009, 11:19 AM
Please lets keep this thread civil, i'm asking everyone involved in this thread to calm down a bit.

For the OP several users won their legal pursuit in France and got between 150 and 500 euros for Windows XP + other softwares + global compensation for the issue, legal pursuit cost and so on.
See details in following links (in french unfortunately) :
http://www.zdnet.fr/actualites/informatique/0,39040745,39373559,00.htm
http://www.pcinpact.com/actu/news/43487-asus-vente-liee-remboursement-CLUF.htm

These were legal pursuit against asus and acer and should give you an idea of what you can get the other side of the sea for such successful legal pursuit.

polkadotteapot
April 1st, 2009, 07:29 PM
It's an interesing question, what is the value for - discount off the price of your pc? Or for resale value?

From what I've seen, the latter, on ebay, is the difference of about £10-£30.
The former - if you have a look on the Dixons website

Acer netbook running Linux: £234.38
Same spec Acer running WinXP: £269.99

Making the cost of the liscence itself, as the software is added to the price of the pc. less than £35.61.

Does that sound a reasonable evaluation?

Can I ask exactly what you are suing for?

perpetualcacophany
April 1st, 2009, 07:43 PM
Well, I know that people have done the same thing here in the US and they have gotten anywhere from $50 to $80 US (although no legal action was required).

Good luck.

Garrovick
April 1st, 2009, 08:07 PM
Dell charges 150 USD to install XP.

bodhi.zazen
April 1st, 2009, 11:31 PM
First I moved to the cafe.

Second I removed what I felt were off topic posts.

And last I am closing this thread as IMO the question has been asked and answered.

It is unfortunate the thread could not remain civil and on topic despite frodon's request to remain polite and on topic.