PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Upgrading from 32bit to 64bit Ubuntu

s1mp13m4n
March 31st, 2009, 07:52 PM
Hello everyone. I am currently using Ubuntu 8.10 and WinXP on my new laptop. I just found out that my laptop has a 64bit CPU in it according to a google search on the Intel website. Here is what I have:

Chembook laptop
Intel dualcore T8300 2.4GHZ CPU
Upgraded from 2GB to 4GB of RAM

When I installed the extra 2GB of RAM giving me a total of 4GB, both WinXP and Ubuntu 8.10 only see 3GB of it. I am somewhat new to the Linux world (studying the command line right now). How do I upgrade Ubuntu from 8.10 32bit to 64 bit 8.10 without losing anything and having to start over from scratch with my linux install? Is there a way say through the command line or GUI to upgrade the OS and when all is said and done retain my files and settings? Is it necessary to upgrade from the 32bit version to the 64bit version? Thank you for the help. :)

So far I am using the machine for Internet, Wine, VirtualBox, Mame, learning Linux and the command line, watching videos and movies. I am not using it for CAD or video editing, etc.

mendres
March 31st, 2009, 08:39 PM
As far as I know, an upgrade is not possible. But you can keep all the data saved in your home directory, so you don't have to configure everything one more time.

Also write down the packages you installed, that aren't part of the basic installation.