PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Conky and compiz, how to remove shadows?

pat23_2007
March 31st, 2009, 07:00 PM
Hi

I have conky running as a transparent window, but it has shadows under it and it looks bad. How do i get compiz or what ever draws shadows to not do it to the conky window?

James_Lochhead
March 31st, 2009, 07:05 PM
You need the Compizconfig settings manager. In it there should be an entry for Window decoration. Under window decoration there is a box for shadows. You can disable shadows for specific types of windows if you know how (I don't for conky). I don't draw shadows under the gnome panels using:

any& !(type=dock)

You can also just make decrease the shadow size and transparency for everything, or turn shadows off.

pat23_2007
March 31st, 2009, 07:10 PM
ok you have lost me. sorry

Lunx
April 1st, 2009, 03:51 PM
Have you got the settings manager for Compiz installed? If not you can open Synaptic and search for compizconfig-settings-manager, or install it from the command line using

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

Once it's installed you can access it from the System --> Preferences menu and use it to change the shadows via Effects --> Windows Decorations . The settings you want to change are the radius and opacity ones, just turn then down. This will get rid of the shadow effect but it will be for all windows. I'm only a newbie myself, so haven't got up to speed on how you change it for individual windows (but like James said, I'm sure there's a way it can be configured just for conky)

pat23_2007
April 1st, 2009, 04:16 PM
Have you got the settings manager for Compiz installed? If not you can open Synaptic and search for compizconfig-settings-manager, or install it from the command line using

sudo apt-get install compizconfig-settings-manager

Once it's installed you can access it from the System --> Preferences menu and use it to change the shadows via Effects --> Windows Decorations . The settings you want to change are the radius and opacity ones, just turn then down. This will get rid of the shadow effect but it will be for all windows. I'm only a newbie myself, so haven't got up to speed on how you change it for individual windows (but like James said, I'm sure there's a way it can be configured just for conky)

Thanks, I actually figured it out on my own already. I just added this in windows decorations, in the window shadow line: (any) & !(class=Conky) that worked prefectly

Lunx
April 1st, 2009, 04:19 PM
Thanks, I actually figured it out on my own already. I just added this in windows decorations, in the window shadow line: (any) & !(class=Conky) that worked prefectly

Cool, now I've learned something new also :D

*goes off to play with Compiz*