PDA

View Full Version : programing languages to learn

heartwarmer
March 31st, 2009, 06:45 PM
so I recently decided that I'm fed up with being a N00B, and want to learn
some programing languages to make me "stronger":p , but i dont know witch
to learn.
I know a little bit in c++,html,javascript. I'm interested in python because
of its many uses, can anyone help me?? thanx :)

artir
March 31st, 2009, 06:53 PM
Python is very good to begin with.
Is quite easy and there are a lot of bindings for gstreamer,gtk,clutter, etc...

Eisenwinter
March 31st, 2009, 06:56 PM
I suggest Perl, it will teach you to think outside the box.

Simian Man
March 31st, 2009, 07:00 PM
Just a pick a language and learn it very, very well. Don't learn a tiny amount in a bunch of languages as you will not have really learned very much. It takes a long time to learn your first programming language, at least a year.

I'd pick Python, but it's more important that you stick with whatever you pick.

SigmaSanti
March 31st, 2009, 07:04 PM
I suggest you learn an Object Oriented Program (OOP) language first. Such as C++, Java, Python. OOP is not something to worry about though since most modern languages use it now. However that does mean staying away from C and several others.

Java is good for starters because it manages memory for you, but is pretty slow and using it on linux is kinda silly since there are very few linux programs written in java. Which means that if you want to help in developement or something, you would have to learn another language.

gnomeuser
March 31st, 2009, 07:43 PM
C# without a doubt, additionally expanding your JS skills would be good, it has a bright future on the Linux desktop.

Tom Mann
March 31st, 2009, 07:51 PM
As a C# programmer and Python learner, I have to say I'm preferring Python!

As previously mentioned, don't be a jack of all trades and master on none. Learn one and learn it well :)

steeleyuk
March 31st, 2009, 08:55 PM
I'll say Python as well. Learning it myself and its fantastic to use.

rhcm123
March 31st, 2009, 10:28 PM
Learn PHP if you need to be coding webpages, as almost all modern sites use it. I use basic PHP calls to have my current server status posted to my online admin page.

heartwarmer
March 31st, 2009, 11:30 PM
ok, now i have c++ and python on top of the list.
but am not interested in webdevel languages :)
thank you all for your help :D

cardinals_fan
April 1st, 2009, 12:10 AM
I strongly recommend Perl. The vast majority of programming needs I have (you may differ) involve grabbing information from text (local or web page) and finding things in it. Perl is perfect for this. It is also elegant and concise. Visit http://www.perl.org/books/beginning-perl/ for a free intro book. Programming Perl is also an essential, and I think it is also available online (though I have a hard copy).

Ruby is also interesting and was very easy to get started with (for me).

I found Python hideously confusing, but most others recommend it as a first language. Maybe I'm just crazy.

Polygon
April 1st, 2009, 12:35 AM
in my CS classes in college, we are learning java first, and its pretty easy so far, although we are doing kinda simple stuff at the moment.

Mateo
April 2nd, 2009, 04:06 AM
i'd say python is a bad choice. i'd go with any of the c derivatives as a starter language. because once you get good at one you can learn any of the other c derivatives pretty easily. so i'd go with php and then java, c#, objC, or whatever else. i'm not hating on python but i don't think it's going to help you learn other languages. it's too different.

Dr Small
April 2nd, 2009, 04:14 AM
I found Python hideously confusing,

Me too.

I know Php pretty well (I can whip up OOP projects fairly fast, simple and accomplish my goals) but I am just starting to learn C++. I know a little perl too, but not enough to pass.

Sinkingships7
April 2nd, 2009, 04:43 AM
I'm going to suggest two things. First, Python. Extensive library for getting things done, promoting the "batteries included" philosophy. It will allow you to focus on learning how to program instead of focusing too much time on learning proper syntax.

Second, this should probably be moved to Programming Talk.

cdwillis
April 3rd, 2009, 10:58 PM
I dabbled in several languages trying to find one that made sense to me.

The flexibility of Python is what it supposed to make it easy to learn, but to me it was confusing since you can use OOP or procedural programming style. The use of whitespace is a double-edged sword.

I didn't get into Java simply because the IDEs I tried were too complex for a noob.

I learned about Ruby at the same time as both of those, but it didn't seem like a lot of people were talking about it or recommending it (comparatively). Maybe some of the things I learned while dabbling in other languages helped out, but Ruby just clicked for me. I'd recommend checking out http://tryruby.hobix.com/ which is what really got me into it.