PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Where is the desktop cube gears?

Ecstatic23
March 31st, 2009, 03:45 PM
Hears a screenshot of my compiz window:
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/9452/screenshot1par.png

I can't seem to find cube gears..

James_Lochhead
March 31st, 2009, 04:55 PM
It should be under effects. It is for me at least.

zjagannatha
March 31st, 2009, 05:17 PM
Are you sure you're running the latest version of Compiz?

Godly
March 31st, 2009, 07:31 PM
Hears a screenshot of my compiz window:
http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/9452/screenshot1par.png

I can't seem to find cube gears..
What is under Preferences? Click on that and let it load. There should be a check box on the left for "extra" or somehting of that nature. Make sure that is checked, and you should see cube gears next to cube. Please let me know, I'll check into it for you.

Ecstatic23
April 1st, 2009, 05:07 AM
It isn't under effects, they're's nothing really worth mentioning in preferences, I think I have the newest version, I've only had compiz for just over a month.

3rdalbum
April 1st, 2009, 05:38 AM
Install the "compiz-fusion-plugins-extra" package from Synaptic and you should have the Cube Gears plugin.

Ecstatic23
April 1st, 2009, 04:54 PM
Install the "compiz-fusion-plugins-extra" package from Synaptic and you should have the Cube Gears plugin.

I just installed that, I check the cube gears box, then two seconds later it un checks itself???

steeleyuk
April 1st, 2009, 06:09 PM
Usually they uncheck because its an older version that doesn't work with the current one. Either that or there's a fault somewhere.

Giblet5
April 1st, 2009, 06:15 PM
Usually they uncheck because its an older version that doesn't work with the current one. Either that or there's a fault somewhere.

That.

If you installed compiz via svn/git/tarball, then... Good luck. Those methods are not for people who need to ask what's wrong, they're for people who can figure it out from the code.

If you have installed Compiz from Synaptic, then what release of Ubuntu are you on?

You're missing a lot of stuff...

http://img5.imageshack.us/img5/5569/32504834.jpg

Ecstatic23
April 1st, 2009, 06:35 PM
That.

If you installed compiz via svn/git/tarball, then... Good luck. Those methods are not for people who need to ask what's wrong, they're for people who can figure it out from the code.

If you have installed Compiz from Synaptic, then what release of Ubuntu are you on?

You're missing a lot of stuff...

I'm using Hardy. I did install from Synpatic, which I can't get to work because it keeps asking me to reload it, but anyway,

I have the extra package, all my options are there, it just won't let me enable them.

Giblet5
April 1st, 2009, 07:37 PM
I'm using Hardy. I did install from Synpatic, which I can't get to work because it keeps asking me to reload it, but anyway,

I have the extra package, all my options are there, it just won't let me enable them.

It could be a permissions or ownership problem.

It's wise to start with:
chown -R $LOGNAME:$LOGNAME $HOME

If you upgraded to Hardy, try creating a dummy account, log out, log in as the new dummy user, set up compiz the way you want it, then compare the common files under both user's home directories.