sulekha
March 31st, 2009, 07:13 AM
Hi all,

See this http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=616

Rokurosv
March 31st, 2009, 07:20 AM
Hi all,

See this http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=616

If remember correctly, Balmer pointed out that besides pirated Windows, Linux was more of a contender for Microsoft than Apple and OS X, I don't see why Microsoft should help Linux in any way. The article proposes some good points like standards, but I don't think of Microsoft as 'standard friendly'.

k2t0f12d
March 31st, 2009, 08:18 AM
lmfao

jmszr
March 31st, 2009, 10:21 AM
I read this twice: http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/10things/?p=616 and all the comments and pondered on it and came to the conclusion that this article is really,really stupid.

Edit: A poorly timed April Fool's prank?

zjagannatha
March 31st, 2009, 11:48 AM
As a diehard linux fan, I think that putting a price tag on any thing having to do with linux (which Microsoft would obviously do) is blasphemy. It seems to violate the core linux value. (http://www.ubuntu.com/ see the "Ubuntu Promise")

Plus, I really hate paying for things. BTW

rasmus91
March 31st, 2009, 11:51 AM
They could make their next 10 OS's like Vista ;)

Johnsie
March 31st, 2009, 12:24 PM
I liked the idea of Microsoft Linux. That would make other Linux distros more widely accepted.

3rdalbum
March 31st, 2009, 12:28 PM
I know of three different ways Microsoft can help Linux:

1. Release Windows 7. The changes will frustrate many Windows users into changing to something else (like Linux)
2. Don't release Windows 7. People are already frustrated with Vista, and there not being an upgrade away from Vista will cause people to switch to Linux.
3. Re-release Windows XP as the current Windows operating system. Then you'd only be able to get good modern features and extensive new hardware support on Linux, and people would switch to get the features that we take for granted.

elliotn
March 31st, 2009, 01:18 PM
To me the guy is suggesting that linux distros had to die to make way for his imagined Microsoft Linux and he also means Microsoft will have to
kill Windows and make way for Microsoft Linux, dammn that is the worse idea ever, and whats wrong whith Linux having to pull out a figth to be superior, competition is good for Microsoft and Linux, whatever Linux does Ms will have to do beta vise versa.... The whole idea is kak, n groot kak, umbhedo phela lo.

chris200x9
March 31st, 2009, 04:18 PM
lol @ enterprise support....red hat and suse are sooooooooooo hard especially for IT professionals hahaha

MikeTheC
March 31st, 2009, 04:35 PM
Mike's Top 10 Ways Microsoft Could Help Linux:

10. Go with an entirely subscription model for both their OS and applications.
09. Raise the price of Windows 7 by at least $200.
08. Make all media playback on Windows strictly pay-for-play.
07. Actively monitor users through back-doors and punish them for "bad" activities.
06. Change their EULA to make it a violation to use any non-Microsoft database software.
05. Begin prosecuting every single EULA violator "to the maximum extent of the law".
04. Require all users to upgrade to the latest version of all installed Microsoft software the moment it becomes available.
03. Patent breathing and sue everyone for patent violation.
02. Keep UsedCarSalesmanSteve as their CEO forever.
01. Not release another version of Windows until it's more stable than "Debian 'stable'".

LowSky
March 31st, 2009, 05:16 PM
Listen Microsoft isn't helping Linux in any way!

Linux need to help itself by becoming an actual option for users, and beyond the super low-end netbook market.

All Linux needs a is basically a company that builds a machine that is worth paying extra for that has a verison of Linux. the ideal is a business model like Apple. Build a computer that is a work of art and has appeal. A company that build it own devices that just work and progrmas that do their job. And the money will come. How cool of an idea would that be.

So all we need is a really well polished version of Linux (I mean really cool images and backgrounds and devices that are plug and play), a computer that screams "I will look good sitting on your desk" and a small mall store with people who can hold your hand to install a piece of software.
Ok so all I need is a some capital, a really simple name and logo, and I think I can get this off the ground...

Mehall
March 31st, 2009, 05:24 PM
Listen Microsoft isn't helping Linux in any way!

Linux need to help itself by becoming an actual option for users, and beyond the super low-end netbook market.

All Linux needs a is basically a company that builds a machine that is worth paying extra for that has a verison of Linux. the ideal is a business model like Apple. Build a computer that is a work of art and has appeal. A company that build it own devices that just work and progrmas that do their job. And the money will come. How cool of an idea would that be.

So all we need is a really well polished version of Linux (I mean really cool images and backgrounds and devices that are plug and play), a computer that screams "I will look good sitting on your desk" and a small mall store with people who can hold your hand to install a piece of software.
Ok so all I need is a some capital, a really simple name and logo, and I think I can get this off the ground...

How about..... Pear! And you can make everything a nice clean, sterile black with clean lines etc.
And make sure you use a dock in your distro! And Compiz effects!