PDA

View Full Version : Do you already have perfectly working multimedia?

metuwi
January 2nd, 2006, 12:34 AM
Hi all,

I have been looking at many threads, and the issue of getting multimedia (especially browser plugins) to work properly is covered many many times. i have followed all sorts of advice from these threads, but my multimedia experience is still unsatisfactory. (for example, if, while playing a quicktime movie,the buffering is not able to catch up, it will quit playing for good, even if i hit pause, play.... I know a "solution" would be to increase prebuffer size, but this is just one issue among several)

(Another problem is that some types of movies (im not sure which right now) will play with regularly-choppy sound.)

All the different methods presented in the forums have left me uncertain, and it would be great if the methods were consolidated somewhat and if anyone who has gotten their multimedia to work "perfectly" could share their Ultimate List of Things to Do to get multimedia to Just Work! :???:

So if you have (almost) perfect mutimedia, please share your techniques!

sapo
January 2nd, 2006, 12:40 AM
The only thing that doesnt work perfectly here is movies inside pages.. but i usually take a peek at the page source and download the file :D

xequence
January 2nd, 2006, 12:43 AM
Yes. I do.

PsychoTrauma
January 2nd, 2006, 12:50 AM
I use totem xine with the mplayer plugins for video and the latest quod libet for music and i'm pretty satisfied. The mplayer browser plugin is much better than the totem one but since I don't really use that feature much it isn't a bother to me.

kaamos
January 2nd, 2006, 01:05 AM
Pretty well. Mplayer compiled from cvs (h.264!) and mplayer-plugin from a deb posted here. That handles movies. Bmpx for mp3s. Multiple sounds work with everything.. At least almost. Damned POS realplayer. Got the firefox plugin to work, but the app won't make a sound when something else is playing..

Also, skype blocks the soundcard and nothing else wants to play when a call is in progress.

Got to love foss. :)

prizrak
January 2nd, 2006, 01:10 AM
I used Easy Ubuntu to get my multimedia working. The only thing I got is sometimes choppy embedded video playback, I think it has to do with non native codecs.

Got the firefox plugin to work, but the app won't make a sound when something else is playing..

Also, skype blocks the soundcard and nothing else wants to play when a call is in progress.
Did you follow this http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=101125&highlight=multiple+sounds how-to?

Ampersand
January 2nd, 2006, 01:12 AM
Mostly. I can't play wmas/wmvs (need to wait for windows to catch up so we can get a win64 codecs pack). The midi input isn't working either, although I can now play midi files. I might need to save up for an audigy or something (:

nemik
January 2nd, 2006, 01:14 AM
works great. the mplayer plugin for mozilla is awesome. i put it on my machine by hand and took some work to do.

on my sister's machine, i use arnieboy's automatix and it hooked it up right away, everything 100% perfectly working! that thing is great.

XQC
January 2nd, 2006, 01:17 AM
No.

- mplayer doesn't work with most of the internet-videos for me
- no H264/x264 with totem

kaamos
January 2nd, 2006, 01:20 AM
Did you follow this http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=101125&highlight=multiple+sounds how-to?

Yep. And it did work with every piece of Free software that I have. But skype & realplayer just refuse to cooperate.

NeoChaosX
January 2nd, 2006, 01:21 AM
MPlayer for movies, Amarok for music, mplayerplug-in for stuff on the web. Pretty much gets most media.

prizrak
January 2nd, 2006, 03:07 AM
Yep. And it did work with every piece of Free software that I have. But skype & realplayer just refuse to cooperate.
BASTARDS! :)

Omnios
January 2nd, 2006, 03:09 AM
After folling most of the tips and how to's on the forum I have pretty good media. Last ditch solution copy link location and try opening it in one of the players.

majikstreet
January 2nd, 2006, 03:14 AM
yep. as far as I've tryed yah.. Haven't met a file I couldn't play. I can play stuff my mom can't play on windows! (I've had two windows media files that my mom couldn't play that I could.. how ironic :P )

briancurtin
January 2nd, 2006, 06:37 AM
everything works for me and i had to do no configuration at all, and i really havent had to do any configuration for media stuff ever